Thread: Coin Collecting

Coin Collecting

I have been collecting coins for a long while. Most of which came from loose change.
    Then I recently I started to buy coins for around $50.00 and up. And it was all good as I was really enjoying it.
    The I read a post on the person who sold his entire collection as he was on a pension and I just couldn't warrant the money he was spending.
    And in his words, the coins would be given to his kids who don't care one little bit about them.
    He knew the coins would be sold and he love he had for them would not be kept by his kids.

It got me thinking about what I am doing as I am in the same position. So That night I made up my mind.
    This was to stop buying coins but I will keep what I have got and I will hope one of the kids will keep them.
    But the other part to this is that if I am spending money on coins I wont be able to have much for just say filters or other stuff.
    I will keep looking for those special ones that I have a chance at getting out of loose change.

But I was glad that this person put that post up as it got the cogs in my brain rotating and bought me to this point.
    Though I have one coin I want to get in my collection which is an American Silver Dollar, and this year we are getting a new $5.00 note.
    So I will buy a few of these as the little ones might not get the chance to see one of them.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    I collected coins while I was younger, mostly Silver dollars....be them old or just brand spanking new(but always the circulated stuff). Most of these purchases were just a touch over the price of an ounce of silver, never more then $0.50 over.

Long story short, I was going to keep them forever and hand then down. Haven't seen the son in going on 6 years now(his fine mother poisoned that well), so there is no one to leave them with.
    I sold every spanking one of them! The prices I'd paid(kept a record), and the prices I sold were really profitable! Used the monies in addition to the sale of my old sawmill towards my new....really knocked a huge chunk off the total cost too!

Scott (sometimes kids just are a bummer) B

I am more known in the coin community then what I am in the photography community....

I have many rare high grade specimens. I have had a passion for Gold and Silver since I was very young, and photographing coins is what led me into photography.

the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Elite Member
    very cool..photo ^
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Awesome photos and great hobby all around if you ask me Plus you get to take pictures of the goods, which is also fun and challenging! I would never collect something with the intention of giving it to my kids, because clearly they would have to be interested or it would be a waste. I say do it for you if it makes you happy and you can afford the hobby...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I think my eldest Granddaughter is interested in them as I have got a few older dollar notes in different denominations.
    I showed her them the other day and she was really interested and I know it was a real interest.
    When I began to buy coins it was never intended that I had bought them to resell later.
    I only got coins that I liked as I seen no reason to buy something I never liked.
    ANd I knew I would never make a lot of money out of them which makes it easier to walk away with what I have now, just to get the ones I said and then that's it.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters