Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirrorless Full Frame vs. DSLRs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    yes...is the simple answer form the worth it and quality side..Jay will be able to talk more about this about what to get.

Sony have lae3 and lae4 I think the model names are for adapters.....
    There are many adapters from various vendors and some are better than others.

I shoot quite often with a professional Landscape , astro guy who lives in my city....he shoots Sony for landscapes and canon for his astro....he uses all his canon lens on his sony and gets fantastic quality.

Read about them and go for gold make use of your investment...well worth it I would say.
    Excellent , I'll await Jays advice on what i should buy .
    Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHealy View Post
    Right guys a question if you please ? in order to use my Canon lenses on my A6000 what do i need to buy ? and is it worth it IQ and auto focusing wise ?
    Hello again I have the Metabones III electronic lens adapter and it works great in my opinion. Now the Metabones IV is out and the Speed booster unit which actually takes the full frame optics and converts the extra light to extra speed. Hence the speed booster name..

There are many other electronic lens adapters out nowadays, including the Sigma MC-11 which is great quality and more affordable. I would consider that or the speed booster option personally, for the best quality. The cheaper adapters also work, but I have heard bad things periodically like they break, or get stuck on the camera, or even break the camera. So it appears you get what you pay for to some degree with these adapters for sure. The metabones units are really expensive, but very well made in my opinion. The Sigma unit is also really well made and much cheaper considering the quality and reviews I have seen. The speed booster is the most expensive, but does yield a faster effective lens for that extra cash.

As far as Image quality goes, it's awesome and I have no complaints at all in that regard. Focus speed is pretty good on the A6000, but not like it is with native lenses. On the A6300 it is almost as fast as a native lens however. Don't expect to be shooting sports or anything with a good hit rate though. Regular photography however it's more than adequate in my opinion.

I hope that helps,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Hello again I have the Metabones III electronic lens adapter and it works great in my opinion. Now the Metabones IV is out and the Speed booster unit which actually takes the full frame optics and converts the extra light to extra speed. Hence the speed booster name..

There are many other electronic lens adapters out nowadays, including the Sigma MC-11 which is great quality and more affordable. I would consider that or the speed booster option personally, for the best quality. The cheaper adapters also work, but I have heard bad things periodically like they break, or get stuck on the camera, or even break the camera. So it appears you get what you pay for to some degree with these adapters for sure. The metabones units are really expensive, but very well made in my opinion. The Sigma unit is also really well made and much cheaper considering the quality and reviews I have seen. The speed booster is the most expensive, but does yield a faster effective lens for that extra cash.

As far as Image quality goes, it's awesome and I have no complaints at all in that regard. Focus speed is pretty good on the A6000, but not like it is with native lenses. On the A6300 it is almost as fast as a native lens however. Don't expect to be shooting sports or anything with a good hit rate though. Regular photography however it's more than adequate in my opinion.

I hope that helps,
    Jay
    Hi Jay

Thanks for taking the time to advise , it appears the Sigma MC-11 is the way to go and bang in the middle price wise so seems the sensible option .
    I'll look to purchase one in the near future

Thanks
    Darren

Anytime, and please let us know how it works for you once you get it! I have yet to use the Sigma MC-11 myself...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Anytime, and please let us know how it works for you once you get it! I have yet to use the Sigma MC-11 myself...

Jay
    Might be a while , my wife killing me isnt in my immediate plans lol

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHealy View Post
    Might be a while , my wife killing me isnt in my immediate plans lol
    yes ..photography is expensive and we all have to answer to someone.....its been expensive last couple of months for me as old tripod started to fail so had to get new one and head.....its never ending
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    yes ..photography is expensive and we all have to answer to someone.....its been expensive last couple of months for me as old tripod started to fail so had to get new one and head.....its never ending
    To be honest I'm also wondering do i still need my Canon stuff , is mirrorless good enough for me now etc .
    I haven't used it since i bought the Sony but i do like the idea of having 2 cameras just in case

I don't think you need the Canon gear anymore, but it is nice to have for sure If you are a Pro shooter, meaning you do it for money, then having two cameras is critical, but otherwise it's a luxury I would say. I have a bunch of Canon gear and can't bring myself to sell anything ever, even though I barely use any of it besides Sony... Some lenses I have not used in years, literally!

Jay

I don't think you need the Canon gear anymore, but it is nice to have for sure If you are a Pro shooter, meaning you do it for money, then having two cameras is critical, but otherwise it's a luxury I would say. I have a bunch of Canon gear and can't bring myself to sell anything ever, even though I barely use any of it besides Sony... Some lenses I have not used in years, literally!

Jay
    I'm definitely not a pro lol , I was offered 2000 by MPB recently . Need to have a think , full frame Sony or better glass if i did sell ?????

Elite Member
    Hi Darren,

I would hang onto the lens and buy adapter.
    As I said early I shoot with a pro that shoots canon and sony...he only uses canon lens......has no sony or batis, zeiss etc.....all canon as he started on canon ...but he does use both cameras canon for astro and sony for landscape.
    Camera : Sony A6000
    Sony Lens : FE 90mm f/2.8 G OSS Macro , 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS, 10-18mm f/4 OSS ultra wide,FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA Lens
    Sigma Lens : 30mm f/2.8 DN

500 px : https://500px.com/stevemeier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12