Thread: Thoughts and feedback

Elite Member

Thoughts and feedback

Hi all,

Need some feedback and advice.

I have a company that wants to license a photo I took while in france (to be used for travel and tourism). This is via the 500px website.

They have asked , which is in their license guidelines that the watermark be removed.

I have asked some extra questions...but I am actually unsure what to do.
    The pros.
    1) yes its cool....my photo could be used in travel and tourism stuff for a place in france.....lol I could end up on a postcard.
    2) I get some money for it

The cons

1) no one except me knows I took the photo.....

Is it normal for places to ask that the watermark be removed , as when you look at stuff like this there is always info on who took the picture .

Or is my ego taking over.

Not sure what to do.

Not a pro here.
    I don't see problem if this is one time use for this specific publication. If they want full rights to image they should pay full rice, see what stock agencies charge for guideline.

Elite Member
    I am not a pro....but 500px gives you the option to allow licensing of PICs etc.

They came to me with the info saying a company wanted to license which is continued use...not a one of sale.

That type of photo in the good old days would have been contracted out to a pro. So they would pay for the pros time and effort and in some cases a royalty or fee per use of photo over a year, but the image owuld have that this was taken by "photographer x" on the image etc.

Most of the photo websites that allow for licensing mention that watermarks must be removed....this is kind of the bit that annoys me as it kind of de values the work in my opinion of the photographer .

So not sure what to do.

The money is not what I am in it for I just luv taking pics...its a nice aside ...but I think I want people to know it was me that took it....so an ego thing...I think

Advanced Member
    You have to decide what you prefer more: recognition or money. I would inquire what the audience is and what types of medium would your image be used on and price it accordingly, if you decide to go that route.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that if you decide not to remove your watermark, they might not use your work.

Elite Member
    If I dont remove water Mark it wont be used is the impression I get.

I have asked but they wont say other than for tourism and Travel industry

I am not into this side at all, so for me I would go with it as you will know.
    But when you sell the right to this shot it then becomes theirs and you will not be able to post that image again anyway, this is how I see it.
    One question I would be asking is if it is used on more than the one thing that you get paid for that as well.
    But I am not sure one it all. Though I know I would be so happy if someone thought my shot was good enough.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Elite Member
    i still own the rights to the picture...The license is for use only

I would let them use it without the watermark, but that is just me As long as you know the image is yours, does it really matter in the end?

Great thread and advice everybody!!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    Thanks...guys...

I had kind of come to the conclusion that I know its mine....so I guess I need to remove the water mark.

I have never used a watermark on any of my images. So it would be a easy decision for me.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

If I were to pay for a photo for a particular use, I would ONLY pay for it without watermark, and preferably no credit in anywhere (since it's paid for).

For my work, I took photos myself. I add watermark for web usage, but no watermark for printed version. When people ask, I let them know I took the photo. At end of the day, it's the content of photo we were selling, so I would not like to add too much unnecessary information.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Very well said Antony!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens