Thread: A6000 owners manual instructions for using "Eye focus" seems awkward.

Question A6000 owners manual instructions for using "Eye focus" seems awkward.

I have an A6000. I read in the manual how to use eye focusing for portraits and it seems awkward. Perhaps someone out there uses the feature frequently and has a good method for setting it up and executing?

For example, I set up shutter priority, auto focus, face recognition, program C2 for eye focus. To execute press C2 and hold and press shutter.......that's not easy to do smoothly. I might have to set up to use remote shutter so that I could shutter with my left hand while holding C2 with my right.

Any thoughts and advice is welcome

Elite Member
    I glad you could follow the manual.....its like they write them 3 months after the camera is made....they are bloody hard to follow and I gave up on trying to get that to work.........someone needs to write a proper "procedures" manual for Sony cameras ...lol " a how too"

I read a forum entry suggesting that the center button should be used. It's better, but not good.

I tried several operations and settings for portraits and concluded so far that center focusing is good and programming the center button to invoke eye focusing does not cause a problem finding the shutter button. Adequate light is also important to help the eye focusing to work, otherwise it seems to default to facial recognition. The sharp eye focus is a big plus for portraits.

Best guide for any Sony camera is by Gary Friedman, here is the link for a6000 guide http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha6000/

Elite Member
    I have actually found the movable focus in small size is easier...lol....about as fiddly....but I have managed to use that to do the same job and far less swearing involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Best guide for any Sony camera is by Gary Friedman, here is the link for a6000 guide http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha6000/
    I totally agree and he breaks down every possible feature, configs, etc..

I honestly don't know what the best way to use the Eye-Af would be on the A6000. I would have to play with it for a while and try all the options out. Seams like one of the custom buttons would be best, while also allowing for the shutter button to be pressed. That is easier said than done though when a subject is moving. Having a small flexible spot would probably be my preferred choice in the end when it comes to the real world. It would be cool if once the eye eye af locked on the image was taken, but that does not seam to be how it works based on my limited testing.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens