Thread: 2 times Teleconverter, Yes or No

2 times Teleconverter, Yes or No

With the knowledge here and people never talking down to you because you don't know.
    So this is my place to ask this question on the title of this.
    I have been told that these are good and I have heard to opposite to.
    So I am wondering if this is what I should look at now, as I am starting to enjoy taking shots of the moon.

I looked on ebay and for me A77 they have got a couple there for around the $230 to $250 mark.
    I'm not sure if this is a fair price for one thing, and the other is, do I really need to have one of these.
    So I am asking all my mate here on this forum as I find you all to know what you are talking about.
    Rather than some just putting in their point because they can.
    Thank you to all who reply here.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Hi Gramps,

I have a pair of 2X teleconverters (TC) for much older glass (Minolta SR mount, circa 1980) and they work ok but with the following caveats:

1. You loose 2 stops of light, so your f/5.6 lens becomes a f/11 lens for example (more like f/12.6 at the long end). Shooting at the moon (a relatively bright object), that is not the end of the world but you have to compensate by lowering your speed or increasing ISO.

2. More problematic is you introduce glass in your equation and depending on the quality of your TC you may degrade your resulting image (contrast, resolution) more that just cropping your original image. I would say aim for a TC at least matching the optical grade of your designated lens but obviously your mileage will vary.

With that being said, I like being able to "zoom in" to my subject. My old lenses are manual focus so TC helps seeing details to grab on to.

I would say if you can borrow/rent a TC to try out would be ideal to see for yourself before committing a purchase. I like to experiment in general and one extreme case was when I attached both TC to a 500mm/8 lens on my A6000. The resulting 3000mm (with crop factor) f/32 was a sight to behold... definitely soft and "dark" (ISO fixed that) but one has to see the moon at that scale to appreciate how "fast" the moon moves, if you don't have a tracking mount. Also, just putting the object in the viewfinder (i.e. aiming) was "interesting"...

Good luck and keep showing us your moon pictures; they are beautiful.

Stef

Hello Stef,

I like your idea of trying before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    (...) I like to experiment in general and one extreme case was when I attached both TC to a 500mm/8 lens on my A6000. (...)
    If the teleconverter is Sony (A-mount) and I assume 500mm/8 is Sony A-mount lens, how do you get them to work on A6000 (e-mount)? I remember I read that Sony's A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter LAEAx wouldn't work with teleconverter, at least not with Sony's.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    If the teleconverter is Sony (A-mount) and I assume 500mm/8 is Sony A-mount lens, how do you get them to work on A6000 (e-mount)? I remember I read that Sony's A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter LAEAx wouldn't work with teleconverter, at least not with Sony's.
    I don't have A- or E- mount TC, rather SR- mount (old Minolta manual) adapted lenses. So the TC's are SR-to-SR mount, which I ultimately connect on a SR-to-E mount adapter and then to the A6000 body. That last part works for most of my old lenses; others are M42 and C/Y but I don't have TC for those.

Regards,
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    One thing I can't wait to get a bit more info on is the newly introduced 1.4x and 2x E-mount TC's. They may be for the new 70-200/2.8 GM lens only but I hope they can be general-purpose as I would love to connect these to other native E-mount AF telephoto lenses. Time will tell...

Thank you for you advice Leuius it is very good and I will see if there is anyone who will have one to suit my lens.
    I have to admit to liking getting out late to get the moon and to see the difference that a couple of days break make.
    My last lot of shots were taken a couple nights ago and I think myself they are quite okay. ANd I will post up soon.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

One thing I can't wait to get a bit more info on is the newly introduced 1.4x and 2x E-mount TC's. They may be for the new 70-200/2.8 GM lens only but I hope they can be general-purpose as I would love to connect these to other native E-mount AF telephoto lenses. Time will tell...
    Thank you. I didn't even aware of E-mount Teleconverters. (I haven't been that keen on photos recently.)

The teleconverters are for the new Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM Lens only it says....

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The teleconverters are for the new Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM Lens only it says....
    Yes, that is the announcement but I can't see why it would not work with other lenses unless intentionally crippled (i.e. via firmware limitations).

I suspect these TC's have to be excellent if associated with GM gear and it would be a shame not to be able to generalize the optical configuration.

Thanks, I haven't been following much camera or camera news recently.
    Sony's A-Mount Teleconverters are also only compatible on very limited amount of Sony A-Mount lenses.