Thread: Neweer "Incompatible battery" error sorce Discovered, possibly resolved!!!

Neweer "Incompatible battery" error source Discovered, possibly resolved!!!

well after some time of tinkering with the Neweer grip i think i have narrowed down the main culprit of the "Incompatible battery" error.
    I say "Main" culprit because there seem to be numerous poorly carried out connection points in the grip but the main problem causer seems to be the tray connections and battery adapter top contacts.
    I noticed they sit just a tad lower than the contacts on the stock Sony battery. THIS in addition the the free-play in the battery tray seems to be the cause of the errors.
    Correcting it provides a new set of design problems to overcome.

And here's the other bad connection areas. both batteries in the tray are not allowed to go in farr enough to make good contact. The contacts are barely touching.

Another area of bad contact was the tray connectors themselves

Ive added the correction procedure for these shorts to the mod log
    http://sonyalphalab.com/forums/showt...y-grip-Mod-log
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 21 2016 at 09:06 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Thanks for the detailed info and photos! Just for clarity, does it work with the Sony batteries, or are they both not connecting well?

Thanks again,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks for the detailed info and photos! Just for clarity, does it work with the Sony batteries, or are they both not connecting well?

Thanks again,
    Jay
    Seems the faults are in the grip itself. I would imagine cheaply made batteries would make it worse.
    I was getting errors with both wasabi and sony batteries.
    Usually it was angling or moving the camera that created the error.
    But now after correcting the issues both sets seem to work fine.
    And the extended charge life is awesome!
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 19 2016 at 01:46 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Just wanted to update this, after making the connection mods as shown in the mod log http://sonyalphalab.com/forums/showt...y-grip-Mod-log
    The "incompatible battery" error has completely gone away
    I have tried with Sony,Wasabi and Vivitar batteries.
    However i find out that the two batteries must absolutely match! That is to say same mAh and Wh rates.
    For example putting the Sony battery with a different mAH rated battery in the grip causes errors.
    Peacock Designs