Thread: a6300 lens options supporting PDAF

a6300 lens options supporting PDAF

Hey Folks!

I'm just getting into photography (~1 year with my trusty RX-100 II) so forgive my ignorance in some of these matters. I just pre-ordered the a6300 and I'm super excited. I wanted to start understanding what the deal is with 3rd party lenses and their support for the rapid phase detection auto focus that Sony is boasting in this model.

For example, if I bought a Sigma 19mm E-mount lens, I'm guessing I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the fast PDAF this camera will come with? Is this true for any 3rd party (not Sony) lens even if it is E-mount?

The reason I'm interested is because I'm not certain if I should get the kit lens (SEL1650) with the camera. There's plenty of debate online about this lens, so I wanted to see what other options I had out there. But most importantly, I don't want to handicap the camera if features like PDAF or OSS aren't supported. And also, even if PDAF is supported, would it take advantage of all 425 AF points (i.e. would AF be compromised or just as good as a Sony lens?)

So many questions... any help would be great!!!

Great questions and welcome to the forum! You are correct in assuming some lenses will not work at 100% potential. Firmware updates are often required for older non Sony lenses. You can be assured that all Sony lenses will work to potential, but not necessarily the Zeiss Touit Lenses, or Sigma DN Lenses. The will work, but not necessary with the fasted PDAF like the kit lens will. This would have to be tested though on a per lens bases..

If you want a different lens than the kit you have so many options!! I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8 OSS Lens for sure, and of course a wide angle like the 16mm pancake lens or something. For zooms, the 18-105mm OSS PZ G lens and Zeiss 16-70mm OSs Lenses are the best options in my opinion, but are not cheap...

I hope that helps a little?

Check out the lens guide here and scroll down a bit for the Crop Factor APS-C E-Mount lens options: http://sonyalphalab.com/sony-alpha-a...-buying-guide/

You can also use the FE Full frame e-mount lenses, but they are larger and much more money in general..

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks for the awesome response, Jay. That definitely helps me understand some of the concepts I was struggling with! And that guide is a great reference tool, thanks again!

Anytime Kraghack

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens