Thread: Help me understand what i am doing wrong.

Help me understand what i am doing wrong.

video using a6000 1080 24p 24m , AVCHD . Lots of choppy blocks or pixilation when any motion in the shot. Seems to be this way right out of the camera.
    Even at 1080
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oauj...on=3&vq=hd1080
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 13 2016 at 05:02 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

It looks pretty good to me. How are you encoding the video for the web? Which program and settings?

For filming you want ideally twice the shutter speed of the video speed. In your case 1080/24p, so 1/50sec would be the best shutter speed for the motion our human eye expects to see. If you have the shutter speed set to auto, then it will be to fast most likely when bright out, and the video can be choppy looking due to that.

Shutter priority mode and auto ISO works pretty well for this, but full manual is the best option. When in extremely dark conditions I tend to leave the lens wide open and in aperture priority mode, but that is often not the best setting...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I recommend you try to shoot XAVC-S instead AVCHD. There definitely improvement IQ, specially when shooting water and moving stuff. But you need to update and a fast SD card.
    The Youtube compression is sometimes is quite brutal too, how is the IQ of the original file?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to invest in a XAVC card and give it a try.
    i did retest it in 60p and that seems to have resolved the "Blocks" artifacts i was getting in moving objects. Although that eats up battery and card space LOL
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    I recommend you try to shoot XAVC-S instead AVCHD. There definitely improvement IQ, specially when shooting water and moving stuff. But you need to update and a fast SD card.
    The Youtube compression is sometimes is quite brutal too, how is the IQ of the original file?
    Really excellent advice and I must agree. Although I use my Nex-6 for my video reviews and it does a great job even using the older AVCHD codec... It's clearly a lower bit rate though and not near as good as XAVC-S which I use on all the newer Sony cameras when testing. I did also need to upgrade my memory card for this purpose...

Thanks again,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

What would be a good memory card for recording videos? I use high speed but maybe its not enough, what would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jp_flkeys View Post
    What would be a good memory card for recording videos? I use high speed but maybe its not enough, what would you suggest?
    Depends on which camera and what its options are... as to what write speed you need.
    As far as brands, I tend to stick to Sandisk or Lexar, others may have different opinions (eg Transcend). Some we can't get easily in Australia.
    You need enough "write speed" to cover the maximum speed of the codec you are recording. For instance, with the A7's that shoot 4k XAVC-S it ideally needs a max 100mb/s write speed, so probably a Class 3 UHS-II SDXC card that has appropriate write speed (it varies).
    I've got some Sandisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1 cards sitting on my desk for some smaller cameras (Zoom Q4, Canon Handycams) that only need about 45mb/s max or less, so they are much cheaper than the faster cards, and there's no point putting really high-speed write cards in those cameras. On the shiny box in big letters it says "SPEED up to 90 MB/s 600x" then on the back it says "Read - 90mb/s, Write 40mb/s" so you have to check carefully.
    In my A7RII I use Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64Gb 95MB/s (read/write) cards and they seem to handle the 4K XAVC-S codec fine.
    Also used a Lexar Professional High-Speed SDXC Card 150mb/s 64GB for some work stuff.

If you aren't using the XAVC-S codec (so AVCHD or whatever the mov container is) you only need cards fast enough to handle that.
    hope that helps?
    A7RII and a couple of GM lenses to play with (loving it)
    Some older Pentax-mount lenses
    GoPro's (HD1's, 2, 4-black)
    Iphone - hey.. its always there!

Work: way too many cameras/lenses (mainly Canon) to deal with, so it was worth buying the Metabones 4.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    video using a6000 1080 24p 24m , AVCHD . Lots of choppy blocks or pixilation when any motion in the shot. Seems to be this way right out of the camera.
    Even at 1080
    Just to add to the comments above, AVCHD is an older, high-compression video codec, so its throwing away a lot of information to be able to compress the video signal into it's maximum bit rate of 24 or 28MB/s. When there's lots of movement in the image it throws away so much details it creates blocks (macro-blocking) to be able continue the frame-rate at correct playable speed. This is what you are seeing in the image.
    A higher data-rate codec (XAVC-S) doesn't need to throw away so much information so will give better detail in the movement.
    Wikipedia is your friend if you want more info.

Work: way too many cameras/lenses (mainly Canon) to deal with, so it was worth buying the Metabones 4.

Thanks for the advise. I've been using Lexar 64GB Professional 633x SDXC Class 10 UHS-I/U1 Memory Card. Images are great but I'm wondering if its not enough for video recording, not really happy with results. When I go to B&H Website I can't seem to find this one for a description and Amazon doesn't even mention the write speeds. Not sure what it is exactly, can't find it on Adorama either. As for my gear I shoot with an A7II & mostly use my Sony 16-35mm f4 wide angle lens, I do real estate photography & working a bit with video. No matter what I do I'm not happy with results, starting to think its the card & write speeds after reading your post, your thoughts? I need to know if my card is adequate for video or I'm chasing a ghost in the trouble shooting dept.

Name:  Lexar Professional.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  63.2 KB

I've been shooting AVCHD & possibly not using the correct memory card, might be writing to slow. Will try XAVC-S, thanks

Card speed will not affect quality of the video, it works or it doesn't.
    If card is to slow you would get warning on screen to change to lower resolution.
    You shouldn't have any problems with that card on A7II, even at highest quality video setting.

Not to be too negative, i have actually just read a couple of other forum posts stating that they were having trouble recording faster than 60mbs with their Lexar cards after Sony's latest firmware update. both posts were involving the a6300 and the a7II. Odd This may have been part of sony's attempt to address the overheating complaints.

I have learned since my initial post that it was the recording at 24p and then uploading to youtube that was causing the square artifacts in the moving water. Recording at 60p or higher and then reducing the frame rate when processing for video seems to have resolved the the little "squares" looking artifacts and also as others here pointed out, getting a XAVC-S compatible card.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Sep 14 2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Peacock Designs

Thanks Obelix, can always count on you for direction...Thx Again.

Agree, that card should be Ok for the higher rate XAVC-S codec. I suspect its the AVCHD + Youtube combo making it look crap.
    Here's where Lexar explain their card ratings http://tips.lexar.com/tips-lessons/t...e-memory-cards

Wouldn't trust Youtube to lay up a perfectly clean copy of your footage... perhaps try Vimeo instead?

I have a friend who uses Vimeo & it comes out considerably better, Thx