Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Neewer / Vivitar a6000 battery grip Mod log.

  1. #1

    Neewer / Vivitar a6000 battery grip Mod log.

    So the other day i purchased the Neewer / Vivitar batter grip with the goal of a tad longer battery charge. My first impression of it was not great.
    I noticed it seemed to be designed without actually having a a6000 to pull measurements from. There are a lot of gaps and i could not even tilt the screen.


    Added to that, intermittent battery read errors.
    So i decided to get modding.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 11 2016 at 07:44 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  2. #2
    Among the first things i noticed was that the battery door latch was very easy to accidentally unlock. It just turned too easily and the dial stuck out way too far which made it easy to hit.


    So i trimmed it down a bit, More flush but Still very usable.



    Now addressing the looseness of the locking dial. I took the metal latch arm off and gave it a tad more of a bend inward to making the locking function more secure.

    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 11 2016 at 06:44 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  3. #3
    next i noticed that the battery tray had a tad of movement in it. This is most likely the source of the intermittent battery read error.
    I had considered modifying the retaining hook that held the battery tray in place, but it seemed somewhat fragile and if i broke it i would make things worse.
    So i gave attention the the battery door itself.


    I found some Neoprene rubber from an old mouse pad and cut it to fit inside of the door, being careful not allow it to hit the tray retaining hook.
    Superglue seemed to give a good adhesion.

    The foam rubber applies gentle pressure on the battery and tray when the door is closed.

    Turns out the battery error is mainly due to numerous contact issues, mainly the battery tray contacts
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 19 2016 at 02:20 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  4. #4
    Next i gave attention the the design error in the back that didnt allow the screen to tilt up.
    Just looking at it you would tink it was designed for a different camera.
    I just had to take a tad of plastic off of the grip to allow operation to the tilt screen.

    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  5. #5
    Next, for aesthetic reasons, i thought i might try to fill some of those gaps where the camera meets the grip.
    Using the same neoprene rubber i tried to cut a wedge shaped caulking to fill those areas.


    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  6. #6
    Correcting the "incompatible battery" error.
    So i noticed that within the battery tray itself, the batteries were just bearly making contact with the contacts.
    The battery stops in the try would not let the batter slide over the contact pins well enough.
    First gently shave down or remove plastic from the battery stops (bumpers) in the battery tray until the pins make proper contact with the battery.


    Next glue a little plastic behind the battery retaining clips to make sure the batteries do not slide away from the pin contacts


    This seems to have corrected the "incompatible battery" error.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

  7. #7
    By far this was the most effective mod. Gluing about 1/16" ( maybe a little less possibly 1mm ) shims behind the tray contacts. This in effect, moved the contacts forward allowing me to take some stress off the door by removing some foam.
    This also resolved tray movement.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Feb 19 2016 at 01:49 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •