Thread: Background Focus in Auto Mode

Background Focus in Auto Mode

I am curious about how the Auto function to adjust the background focus works. The function is only available when Quality is set to jpeg (e.g., Fine) and not for RAWs. But adjusting the background focus is a function of aperture, distances and focal length, so why is it not available for RAW files? I mean, one can certainly do that manually in P or Manual modes (adjust the aperture that is). So does that mean that the Auto function is adjusting the background focus some other way (e.g., post processing)?

Welcome to the forum Tobman!
    We need more information, camera model, setting, is this effect or app...

The setting is: Intelligent Auto, and then the bottom part of the selector dial gives you a Bkgrnd Defocus adjustment slider to adjust the background focus. It's the same thing you'd do in manual by adjusting aperture to a lower f-stop and/or getting closer to your subject to throw the background out of focus and/or get Bokeh. It's a physical (optical) effect related to diameter and distance, so RAW vs jpg should have no bearing. Unless this setting is actually an in-camera post processing effect, to synthesize the true physical effect. Just a nerdy question trying to understand how the camera really works, I guess.
    Last edited by Tobman; Jan 27 2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added text

Effects are available in JPEG only, and most of these are camera specific.
    Easy way to find out if it is digital or optical blur is to take two pictures at extremes of the adjustment and check if they have same aperture value or not.
    Same aperture means they are digitally altered images for background blur.

Elite Member
    its processing in the camera doing that

There are so many functions these cameras do that I don't understand. I treat them all like cameras from the 70's. I Shoot in manual, single point focus. I need to learn a lot of these features to see if it makes life easier.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.