Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #12 - Food Photography

SAL Photography Challenge #12 - Food Photography

Hey buddies and thanks for checking out the latest SonyAlphaLab Photography Challenge - Food Photography!

It's freezing outside and I have seen some killer food photos over the past month in particular on social media, so I decided this would be a great challenge for those in the winter season like myself...

Photography Challenge Rules and Goals:

- Capture Food and/or Drink for fun and to learn of course!
    - Composition is one of the main ingredients to good food photography
    - Proper lighting is critical to tasty food photography
    - Depth of field and subject isolation is also very popular in this genre...
    - Accurate colors are critical for food photography!
    - Learn how to capture food, so it looks the most appetizing
    - Learn how to pose food for a more interesting composition
    - Learn how to light food for the best results possible
    - Learn how to isolate subjects to exaggerate the particular food element (main course, sides, drink, etc...)
    - Any kind of food, drink, or desert will count for this challenge
    - Live action cooking of food can also be included and is often used by pros's to show off the food...
    - Showing the ingredients to a meal can also be used and is considered in the genre for sure. Picture any cooking show and how the counter looks with all the ingredients out and organized. Recipe books and food magazines show these types of images all the time and can be very compelling!
    - Check out some food photography websites, magazines, and tv shows for inspiration!

- NEW Photos Only Please

A Few Sample Photos:

These sample photos were taken with the Sony A7r Mark II and my old school Minolta 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X Lens. They should give you a few ideas to get started.... These are just snapshots mind you, and I will certainly try to get some Pro quality shots for this challenge, don't worry!

Thanks for looking and lets get this challenge started shall we?

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    Good idea for cold weather

Scott (if I could only eat) B

Why can't you eat? And thanks for the comments

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

For this challenge I am posting only pictures of food I made, perfect timing as I'm doing lots of baking lately.

Apple Roses

Sony A6000, SEL 50mm f1.8

I think I might have to get the wife to buy me a cake so I can take a shot of it and post it here.
    I like this one.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Great challenge!
    Im really busy since the end of the last year, barely going out. I think its time to get my RX100 and take some food pics (I take lot of food pics, but always with a smartphone..)

Excellent work Obelix and I was hoping you would share some of your very recent chef skills Top quality Food Photography!!

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from the rest of you guys...

Jay

I have hunted for my food before, but never shot it This should be a good stretch challenge.
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Cheese and cherry danish

nomnomnom, Obelix Sweet, to be sure

More amazing looking food and excellent photos I particularly like the first image for the all white background although the powdered sugar adds something to #2 as well. Really great job and thanks for sharing!

So what is on the menu for this week?

Jay

Great pics Obelix...

I never expected to ask the following question on this site... what is your recipe for the apple roses (they look yummy)?

Cheers

Thanks guys!
    All off-white background in first one is parchment paper, I should have taken some shots with sugar on that background.
    Crepes are next
    This is the recipe I used for Apple Roses

Crepes with honey

Sony a6000, SEL 50mm f1.8

Thanks for the recipe Obelix... food seems to hit a sweet spot, just like the "real" Obelix in the cartoon!!

The crepes also look delicious. I eat mine with Maple syrup though; so prevalent around here in maple country.

Regards,

Stef

Thanks Stef, yes roasted wild boar is my favorite
    Cherry strudel is next.

As promised, strudel with sweet and sour cherries

Some seriously excellent looking food Obelix!! That strudel in particular has my mouth watering....

Thanks for sharing and I will try and get something new today if possible...

Jay

I made a sandwich that look pretty tasty the other day I thought Sony A7r and Minolta 50mm f/1.4 Rokkor-X Lens was used.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

The Strawberry
    RX100 IV 24mm 1.8

Excellent capture Flavio!! Loving the depth of field and POP that berry has Thanks for sharing!

Here is one from a few weeks ago that I have been meaning to share and was taken with this Food Photography Challenge in mind, even though I did not post it when the photo was taken.

Sony A7r II and Sigma A-Mount 50mm f/1.4 Art Lens via the LA-EA3 Lens adapter in manual focus mode.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

I got an excellent bagel on Saturday and here it is. Photo taken with my Sony A7r, Sony LA-EA4 Lens adapter and Sigma A-Mount 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens @ 35mm, f/1.8 but I think the depth of field is too shallow for sure. I should have used f/4 or so I'm thinking in hind sight...

Thanks for looking and what are you guys eating??

Jay

Some food photography inspiration and creativity concepts... I got a lot of ideas I must say Side lighting and back lighting are key tips to explore for better drama and depth...

Food Photography with Andrew Scrivani: B&H Prospectives

Jay

A little cake waiting for its end
    Name:  DSC07940-1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  140.4 KB

I know this might not exactly what this challenge is about but I thought.
    It is food at the very early stage.
    But if this is deem as a smart arse post by me please delete it.
    And I will do a better one later on.

Name:  Cow.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  193.9 KB
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

I think it works as long as you plan on showing a burger or steak at some point Good one Gramps!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by cgmainer View Post
    A little cake waiting for its end
    Excellent photo and that looks really impressive! Molded some how?

Thanks for sharing and killer first photo share!

Jay

I was inspired by the Food Photography video I shared above and took some photos of my wife making her incredible meatballs They are the best I have ever had in my life and can assure you of that! I took the photos fast, because I could not slow down the process!

The making of said meatballs requires a lot of ingredients.....

Parsley is critical to cut the garlic and also add some key flavors...

Here it is on the meat pile.

Fresh garlic is also critical and it takes a bit of effort to crush it as seen below by my hand.

The rest of the ingredients piled on before mixing together gentle by hand. I'm not happy with this image at all, but it's all I have...

After mixing results in this:

Then the ever so important meatball rolling must take place. Layla and Michele did this and some olive oil is put on the hands to help seal the flavor inside and make the meatballs not stick I suppose... They look amazing at this phase I think!

They then go into the oven and get cooked to perfection. When they come out of the oven they look like this:

They then go into the sauce, but I decide not to cover that, due to time and dealing with the kids while cooking and all

Thanks for looking and I did eat several of these bad boys already! I plan on making a meatball parm hero at some point and will take photos of that as well!

Jay

Following Gramps' example, here is some food that hasn't been prepared yet ;p

Blog Entries

There are 12 year old girls putting you all to shame guys. lol
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast