Thread: A6000 steady shot on and off

Elite Member

A6000 steady shot on and off

was doing some reading I came across a rule a of thumb and after some research found out this seems to be what most folk do.

so when shooting on tripod or on tripod with longer exposures who here turns the sony Steady shot OFF

Apparently you should do this , basically I read stuff that just about all makes and models of cameras and lens where its advised to do this , whatever each vendor calls it....when shooting for instance on tripod.....so the lens in the camera (if its in the camera the steady shot stuff) gets fixed in place basically to take the best shots and should only be turned on when required....

thoughts on this.

I agree with turning Off Steady shot with long exposures and you should turn it off with tripod use in general. I often forget to be honest and it does make a difference at times. Perhaps I should do a test in the lab I remember reading back in the day that one of my Canon lenses recognized when it was on a tripod and would turn off the optical stabilization automatically. So perhaps Sony has this built in, but if so I would assume that feature would be advertised.

With a long exposure and maximum sharpness, no movement whats so ever is ideally what you want. Therefore it makes perfect logical sense to turn OFF Steady Shot and use a remote trigger of some kind such as the self timer for example. If windy conditions are present, weighing down a beefier than normally needed tripod might be necessary.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Elite Member
    Hi Jay,
    read that about some cameras detecting when on tripod and turning off and some cameras flashing in the display or an icon....seems like a lot have removed this...bugger....I had never come across that before....so something new.....to take in....