Thread: Got angry

Got angry

I was reading on another forum just a short while ago and I read a thread there.
    It was about the settings to use on a Sony a99 and this lens I'm not sure if it was a prime lens or not.
    But the person went on to say that he take wedding photos and portrait photography.
    Yet he wanted to someone to feed him the information on how to set up with this lens.
    I think it was around a 70mm lens.

One person told him very nicely that for someone claiming that he was doing that he should know a lot more.
    Well I wasn't as nice a told him he was a joke and that I thought he was being very rude in taking money of people.
    While he was claiming to be in this field. I asked him if he was still in Auto.
    Now I know there is nothing wrong with that but I would think if you are doing this sort of work you should have a wide range of knowledge on how to set up a camera and a lens.

I think this comes down to the point where someone goes out and buys a big dSLR camera and then think they can hop into wedding photography.
    Well for me I think if you are going to do this. one of the 1st things you should learn is to get off AUTO and know what you are on about.
    I feel sorry for the people this clown is going to be working for. Yes he might come in as the cheapest.
    And there is a saying that works here pay with peanuts get Monkeys.
    Its a sad day for me after reading this, as I can't help thinking of all the people he is going to rip off until he learns the trade right.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

I am often asked for settings and my answer is always the same. Learn the exposure triangle and get out of all the auto modes.

I shoot in full manual, my settings are always changing depending on the light. I do tend to set aperture and ISO and then make simple adjustments to shutter speed, but often I will adjust all three on the fly, as I adjust to how the light is hitting
    my subject and it is always changing, I often change how the light hits by changing the angle and composition I am shooting at.

If one learns how to control their camera, and learns how ISO, Aperture, shutter speed all effect each other and play a role in a proper exposure, they will never ask for settings.

For this reason I love Sony cameras, as being mirrorless what you see is what you get. The image in the viewfinder or LCD screen will be exactly how the image will come out, making it very easy to shoot in full manual, as you will see in real time
    what each adjustment to any of your settings will be, before pressing the shutter.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Depending on what this person is charging really determines if they are actually ripping anybody off in my opinion. Somebody just trying to learn and get better should not be attacked either if you ask me, but I can totally understand where you are coming from. This used to kill me when I was actually doing wedding photography, because they seamed like hacks cutting into the "pro's" market. What I have learned to realize however, is that the hacks will never get anywhere, and the people hiring them made a big mistake for sure. How could you not look over the photographers portfolio, and if you did, clearly it was acceptable to you. If you are hiring a wedding photographer, it's your responsibility to make sure the person is legit, just like any other trade... Would you buy a car from a crappy dealer with dirty cars on the lot? Some people do get screwed, don't get me wrong, but it's not the average joe like us for the most part.

I have found over the years that people are totally willing to pay for top quality photography. They shop around and go over portfolios in detail, then call based the portfolio quality specifically. Usually not caring about the price to some degree as well. They want to know that their wedding will be captured properly and know that is worth the money a seasoned pro normally charges.

On another note, Auto Mode will give you great result most of the time. So it's possible this person is doing a decent job and just wants to do a better job. Everybody starts somewhere and perhaps they lost their job and decided to give wedding photography a try because they always loved weddings and took photograph in high school... The cameras really do make it easy if you have the other personality elements required for the job... The business and dealing with the people can be brutal for sure.

Just a few thoughts on the matter

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I just think anyone who is going to take wedding photo's should know more than what they had said.
    The amount of people in our area has grown by about 50 people now all telling you that they are qualified to take photo's.
    I am as qualified as they are and many times I have come out with a better shot. But I wasn't trying to beat them in this is just worked out that way.

The lase wedding we went to I took a heap of photo's and most were as good as the person who they paid to do the job,
    But I will never tell anyone I am qualified to do the job, I have knocked back a couple of wedding already.
    Both were my daughters friends and they have seen my stuff and thought to get ut of it cheaper.
    But I never wanted to do it as I hate in 10 years down the track the shots were then not what they wanted.
    SO I didn't want to live with that, so it always no.

Thought too many out there buy a good camera and turn around and think they can do all these jobs.
    And this I think is what gets to me the most. But not for one minute am I saying I am better.
    I am saying learn a lot more before throwing your hat into the ring.
    Thanks for both of you replies to this.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

I totally agree you should be an expert photographer if you are attempting to shoot weddings and charge for it. The reality is, there will always be folks that are not experts doing things these days. I find this in all fields including contractors for electric, plumbing, landscaping and so fourth.. Youtube has tutorials on everything, so I could almost be a handyman just with youtube as my go-to for help. It's a very intersting time on this planet Gramps we all must agree! The knowledge is all free and abundently available on the web. The effort and practice is still required, but now anybody can learn almost anything for free. So cool, but also has a consequence in the market for sure.

Again, I totally understand your frustration and agree with you on the matter Just offering another point of view on how to look at. Antony helped me realize this much more clearly a few years ago...

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

My view is self-proclaimed abilities (based on equipment credentials or general foolishness/temerity) is never a substitute for hard-earned knowledge/education and experience. This goes beyond photography. There are people willing to cut corners to produce anything but worse is there are people willing to hire them. The value proposition is lost. Some get lucky on both sides... so the story gets repeated.

We live in a time where "good enough" and "not cheap enough" are often the underlying incentive to everything... See where this has led us.

Truly unfortunate and I can see where this has gotten you angry. I would say your ethics are aligned properly then.

Stef

I am on your side Gramps, none of this lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya..... Kick him in the nuts, and when he gets up, KICK HIM AGAIN.

damn POSER.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Hardcore Member
    I am not taking sides on this one. Insufficient facts are provided to know what the entire story is especially the "other side."
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

I am only going by the question as it was telling me that they know very little yet was to take money from people and they themselves are not qualified to do the job.
    This is what I have based my opinions on with this one.
    And I respect all answers here as I have to say this does not impact on me in the slightest.

But it is like someone telling me that they have got a bad back and rattle off the biggest load of dribble and untruths.
    But because of these, who do this, makes it so much harder for people like me who is a true and genuine.
    This is how I understand it.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters