Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #11 - Motion

SAL Photography Challenge #11 - Motion

It's time for a new challenge and I thought Motion would be a great way to get us out and about using slower shutter speeds and using other creative tricks like panning perhaps

I was thinking about some flowing water with a slow shutter, car taillights, kids running around, and anything else that captures some kind of Motion!

I will add more sample photos and more info as far as challenge rules when I get a few more minutes. Right now I'm pressed for time getting ready for work...

Challenge Rules:

- Take photos of stuff that is in motion!
    - Using a tri-pod is very helpful for shots like this if applicable
    - Panning can be done without a tri-pod, but a tri-pod can also help depending...
    - Slower shutter speeds can really help create the motion effects with very little effort
    - Capturing motion with a fast shutter speed can also be done if the subject is moving of course...

"Motion" - Sample Photos

I took these a while back, but illustrate a examples of capturing motion:

All you need is a swing for this one:

Shopping:

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Montreal (e)motions

Bridging between the last and this challenge, a couple of recent shots...

First one caught at a street crossing with an A6000 and Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm.

Name:  DSC22233.G1-1000.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  313.3 KB

The second one is more of a stabilization test I did. Not perfectly sharp (hand shaking) but then again that was one full second hand-held using the same camera/lens combo as the previous image. Not winning any contest here but not too unhappy either about the possibilities.

Name:  DSC24078.G1-1000.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  322.6 KB

Cheers,
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Stargate Worlds 78 Simona De Silvestro.

I have nothing at this time.

CaptDave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by CaptDave; Nov 19 2015 at 01:17 PM.

Nice shots guys!
    Purpose of the challenge is to go out and take shots, not to dig in your folders and find something that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Purpose of the challenge is to go out and take shots, not to dig in your folders and find something that fits.
    Agreed and will try to get new stuff posted... I had taken my previous shots a few weeks ago with the intent of publishing in the previous challenge but since they fit the new theme... why not? Anyway, should have a bit more time to actively do new photography...

Regards.

Tried some after dark light trails downtown 2 days ago, but was using old non-stabilized lens - hand held. Wrong kind of motion.
    This from this month. I'll keep trying.
    Name:  passagrille08945_.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  288.9 KB

Nice work guys and here is a new photo from a few days ago trying to capture the new solar farm with some motion for fun

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Great idea and intro set, Jay. I thought I'd get out for a few shots today and grabbed these as I was hunting a "roadside" cache. This is good exercise for me -- a nice 2km stroll, and not my usual targeting mode. A good challenge, especially in bright conditions. Tricksy. So I stopped down...

Pretty marginal, and no sexy cars. Feel free to chew up and spit out.
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Taken while the wife was driving past a field of either Wheat or Canola
    Name:  DSC05726.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  178.5 KB
    An attempt at getting a shot of an old church while driving past it
    Name:  DSC05804.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  185.7 KB
    Caught again while the wife was driving. This one is of a car merging into our lane
    Name:  DSC05944.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  200.6 KB
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Still don't have anything to share here, but appreciate what you guys have submitted. Giving me some ideas.

Willie

Really nice job Brian and Gramps! Way to give it a go and try something new

Playing around in the lab with shutter speed. I actually went with a 6 second exposure with the Sony RX10 Mark II using shutter priority mode and with Auto ND filter on, ISO 100. I went backwards first a little, then forwards which created this ghosting/ overlay/ motion blur effect...

I then processed the raw file using Capture One 8

Jay

the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

Really nice Lucille. Beautiful car and great motion composition. Like the perspective used.

I'll post my near misses from today. Stood on a couple of corners downtown, trying some panning with a 55mm. Thought the focal length would act as multiplier for the motion effect, but next time, going to try a 30mm focal length. Think the first post would have been nice shot of the maserati, had there not been a car going the opposite direction in front of me right at "click".
    Name:  motion.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  188.0 KB

Next one made my case to try a 30mm focal length next.
    Name:  motion03891c.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  175.0 KB

Then we have extreme blur
    Name:  motion03907.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  116.1 KB

I think I have posted these before but I just thought they will work well in here.
    Name:  DSC06292.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  218.4 KB
    Hand held in one of the tunnels in Melbourne
    Name:  DSC07646.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  184.8 KB
    This one the top lights are the street lights
    The mass near the middle bottom are the traffic lights.
    The orange light on the left is yet another street light but in that colour for some reason.
    All the others are shop lights
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Awesome work guys!! Happy Turkey Day and looking forward to seeing more great captures

Jay

Inspired by all the great photos here I went for another go at shooting in the car with a slower shutter speed. I found 1 second to work pretty well for creating the warp drive effect for lack of a better word I took this with the Sony RX10 Mark II on the way to dinner yesterday while Michele was driving.

Thanks for looking and sharing,

Jay

Here is another from yesterday, this time out the side window looking towards a corn field...

Jay

This is a Yellow Rosella as it jumped of the branch and flew directly at me.
    Name:  DSC00672.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  223.9 KB
    This is my target bird but I want a clear shot though I knew it would work here.
    So this is the Singing Honeyeater taking off and its mates tail can be seen at the top of the shot.
    Name:  DSC00677.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  199.1 KB
    Both shots were taken this morning while the plumber was here.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Nice captures Gramps and I hope the plumbing worked out ok My brother is a plumber...

Here are two I captured a few days ago in the early evening hours which made for some cool lighting I thought. What I had in front of me was a road with only about 4 feet of space to myself and then a colorful gas station across the street. The distance to subject was very close and was moving at about 30mph. So, I had to pan extremely fast in the hopes to capture something. I knew the gas station would look awesome when streaked due to the colors, but getting the car in focus was going to be next to impossible based on the distance I had to work with and the speed of the cars. In the end, this is what I got and I thought the result was pretty cool overall. The rims and color streaks I thought made an intersting pattern at the very least.

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

First try at light painting with my A7R-II.

Sony A7R-II / Zeiss 16-35mm f/4.0.

Had a car go by as I was Light Painting, I think it helped.

4th US ARTILLERY 12 POUNDERS - Hancock Ave. Gettysburg, PA 11-25-2015.

Name:  23505241895_a3ac02bf0b_b.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  99.8 KB

CaptDave

Nice one Dave and thanks for sharing! Pretty fun to light paint and I have yet to really try it out properly I can't wait for my kids to get just a little older....

Best,
    Jay

Photo Challenge, made a special trip into "The City".

New York Times Christmas - Taxis Speeding By - from Port Authority - New York City, NY 12-8-2015.

Name:  23605527266_cce6a1deb5_b.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  311.8 KB

TEUSCHER CHOCOLATIER Rockefeller Center Christmas Customers - New York City, NY 12-8-2015.

Name:  23006396063_cb4ca8ab3d_b.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  239.2 KB

CaptDave
    Last edited by CaptDave; Dec 9 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Excellent "Motion" captures Dave and thanks for sharing all the technical info as well Really like liking that first frame in particular...

Jay

Being very limited for time and trying to get other review work done has left me pretty dry for good motion shots. Yesterday I decided to try a few more "Warp Drive" style shots while driving in the car. I figured with some practice I could probably get something pretty decent. Well, I did manage to get some interesting frames at least...

Clearly my window is filthy and all of these fun snapshots were taken with the Sony RX10 Mark II with a 1 second exposure.

Thanks for looking and I will try to get something much better if I can find the time and subject matter

Jay

Here is one from last night on the way home I had to get a shot of the cool clouds! 1/3rd of a second exposure with my Sony Nex-6 this time...

Thanks for looking,
    Jay

Layla was very intrigued when I asked her if she wanted to try and get a cool shot for the "Motion Challenge". I set my Nex-6 w/ 16mm pancake to shutter priority mode and ~2 seconds. I told Layla to have some fun and was super curious what she would come up with. I showed here quickly the shuttter button and how the exposure was taking two seconds. She picked it up in about 2 seconds and ran away from me with the camera!

I was particularly impressed with these frames, but she got several more that were contenders for sharing

First the Tree's...

Then an abstract photo which I just can't stop looking at. It appears like some kind of harmony was achieved here that my brain loves. I can't really put my finger on what it is though? Anybody? Perhaps it's just me

A few more I really liked:

Thanks for looking and Layla could not believe I was going to post these on the "website".. The smile on her face was priceless I must tell you guys!!

Jay posting Layla's photos...

Congrats Layla!

Great motion shots since I last looked in on this challenge. Thanks for sharing, guys!

You have a rockin' little photographer in Layla, Jay. Awesome!

You guys made me go into the city to get new shots.

Speeding Limo past St. Patrick's Cathedral at Christmas - 5th Ave. New York, NY 12-8-2015.

Name:  23849017035_9825db9074_b.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  172.1 KB

CaptDave

Thanks guys and awesome frame Dave!! Love that wide angle view, dynamic range, and motion captured

Thanks for sharing,
    Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast