Thread: no longer a sony alpha camera owner..............

no longer a sony alpha camera owner..............

I started my photography course today, and on first day they advised to bring pen and paper no camera equipment was required.

So I went to college with a pen and paper, when I got home my house had been broken into and all my camera equipment, my electric bicycle, and some other stuff (which I care a lot less about) had been stolen.

Unfortunately I do not have contents insurance as before I got the camera equipment and the bike, there was nothing in my house of any real value, and the cost of the insurance made it not worth while.

I am not in a position to replace the stolen kit at this time, so I plan to stay involved on the forums, just unfortunately, I wont be posting any pictures are getting involved in the challenges for a while to come.

I will borrow my Dads Fuji Kit (hopefully) to complete the college course in the short term, until I can come up with a plan.

When it comes to replacement time, I think I will move up a level, either an entry level full frame or an Alpha 6000/6100/7000, although it wont be anytime soon
    I used to own stuff

Sorry to hear your misfortune. Hope the police can have some positive findings for you.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

As Antony has said I agree.
    I hate these lowlife people who are too lazy to get a job so they can buy their own stuff.
    So sorry for you misfortune and it is a time like this if I still had my old camera I would have been willing to send it to you.
    But these are just words and I am unsure of how I would feel if it happened to me.
    Lets hope some shop ring the police and it is soon back in your hands.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Sorry to hear your misfortune. Hope the police can have some positive findings for you.
    If the police don't know who did it (I guess they must have an idea) and catch them tomorrow, the gear will be long gone, probably sold for a few quid so they can get their quick drugs fix.

In the UK they don't send these thieves to jail, if they are caught, they will probably get a slap on the wrist (suspended sentence or community service) and if the gear is gone they will be ordered to pay what they can afford out of their benefits until total value of the goods is repaid (probably 50p a week)
    They took around £2600 of stuff, ($4000) the chances of me ever seeing that again are probably slim to none.

I guess for the near future, I'll borrow my dads spare camera (Fuji X-A1) until I can afford to buy new kit again
    I used to own stuff

Just came to my mind. I hope you still have a record of serial number(s). (You might still have serial number(s) from original box(s) or tax invoice(s).) If so, you can report the serial number to police or other authorities. If the thief tries to sell the stolen goods to (licensed) pawnbrokers, by law, pawnbrokers should verify if the good is stolen or not.

Sorry to go off topic:
    When I buy new gadgets, I always do following things first before I actually start using the new toy.
    Photocopy tax invoices/receipt, and
    Copy the serial numbers (and other important information such as IMEI, MAC address, ... etc if applicable) to Yojimbo (software) first, and
    and take photos of new gadget first... (my partner sometimes rushes me to take photo first so he can use the new device.)
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Thanks for that, all my newer gear the alpha 5000 kit and sel50f18 and sel30m35, I have the serial numbers, my hd camcorder unfortunately I don't

Camera wise, I thank you for your kind offer gramps, I feel shipping from OZ to UK would've been a tad expensive.

If I don't get anything back, I may buy a Fuji X-T10, and borrow my dads lenses (he has a nice selection of glass, he is really just missing a macro lens)
    the camera is more expensive in the UK than the alpha 6000, but he already has the glass and i can not afford to replace the glass.
    I used to own stuff

I'm really sorry to hear this Tikcus I will see what I can do to get you a killer deal on an E-mount Sony camera! Ebay? Used at BH or Amazon? I can then send you a lens or two of mine until you can get something worth while... The Fuji is a great option otherwise and the convenience of sharing some gear with your Dad makes a lot of sense considering the costs of all these glass toys

Again, really sorry to hear this, but on the bright side, it's only some material things in the end that can all be replaced over time...

take care,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Sorry to hear this Tikcus, hope you recover at least some of the gear.

Police pretty much said the longer the kit is missing the less chance it has of being recovered.

I've pretty much accepted it is unlikely that I will get anything back, I'll let you guys know what happens, and thank you for the support
    I used to own stuff

Sorry to hear about your gear

There is a small chance to find who is using your camera via EXIF if some pics get uploaded... but even if this happens probably who is using is not the original thief anymore..

Man! i do know that feeling from experience. So sorry to hear about the robbery. Makes me so angry.
    Keep an eye on the local pawn shops go there daily to check for your gear, don't tell them what you are looking for, just check out their camera equipment every day.
    Also keep an eye on local ebay auctions that originate from your area.
    And check out the local "Craig's list" if that applies.
    Most likely the equipment will be sold or pawned for drug money.
    The Police will do nothing it's up to you to do what you can.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Sep 17 2015 at 12:32 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Thanks for the advice
    I used to own stuff

So, I looked at my finances and made the sensible decision I feel, as I wanted something more powerful and no longer have any glass (I'll miss the SEL50F18). I realistically had a choice of an A6000 with SELP1650, or a Fuji X-T10 body only. I opted for the later as I can borrow my dads lenses (which include similar kit lenses, a 27mm prime and the 35mm F1.4).
    I certainly won't rule out changing kit in the future, but for now this makes the most sense (the 100-400mm zoom next year on the Fuji roadmap Is a nice lens to look forward to)
    I used to own stuff