Thread: A7R2 and 24-240

A7R2 and 24-240

Simple question- does the above combo make
    1- the perfect travel setup?
    2 - a sufficiently high IQ combination for club competition results?

This question depends on the persons needs, for me, I wouldn't want a 24-240 zoom. So for me, it is far from a perfect travel setup. I'd rather use primes. But again, that's just me.

Lu

Hardcore Member
    See Jay's review: http://sonyalphalab.com/product-revi...rame-coverage/

I have one on the way from Best Buy at a discount (return or refurbished). I personally like an "all in one" (almost all) lens. Sometimes I like to run and gun, travel light, and to be ready at an instant for whatever pops up. If I am with a friend or two, I just don't want to delay
    them while I change a lens.

It may be a pro vs prosumer thing as well as how much do you want to pay for your inventory of lenses? That is an ongoing debate for me. With all the buzz on the A7Rii I was yearning to get one but decided against it as I could not justify spending $3200 for a camera (at least at my current level of expertise) so I opted for the A7 given its price cut of $500 and sometine in the near future plan to pick up one or two very good primes.

From what I have seen with the many contributors in the "challenge" section of the forum, I am amazed at the stunning high quality many are able to produce with a range of lenses and cameras of various types. I always keep telling myself that it is not so much the camera or lens, but the one taking the photo. It may be more of what you know versus what you have or want. In the interests of fair disclosure, I consider myself an average prosumer type. So many times when seeing videos on youtube I do not pick up the nuances or finer details of the experts. It is sort of like watching the pros in golf explaining a golf swing....I often do not see what they see in live action or even in slow motion analysis.
    Last edited by MWright222; Sep 7 2015 at 09:35 AM.
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

I had the 24-240 for about one week and returned it...the images were just not sharp enough for me. On a recent trip to Europe I used my A7r with the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 95 percent of the time; taking over 2000 photos, and rarely used my Canon EOS travel set up of SL1, 15-85 and 55-250. The little Sony, with its miraculous 35mm lens proved to be perfect for me.

As no way an expert, but I guess it is down to personal preference.

If I am walking around with my camera I will generally use my 55-210 lens, so I can quickly react to something that appears like a bird or animal etc.
    However if I know exactly what I will be taking photos of or have time to switch lens I will change to the most appropriate lens I have for the job (note, I'm not a pro with a limited selection of glass and knowledge).

The best lens is the one that is on the camera, in a shoot it or lose it situation.

If I had an A7 series camera, I am sure that lens would be on my list to have, but I like photo'ing birds and other wildlife that does not stay still long enough to change lens
    I used to own stuff

Ok. This is all useful guys!
    Where I am now is a Canon 5d3 and 24-105 and 70-200. All big and heavy.
    Also for travel a MFT Olympus EM1 with 12-40 and 40-150. Both razor sharp but not Full frame.
    Dilemma is-
    Sell all and get Sony A7r2 etc or....
    Sell Olympus and get 28-300l canon?
    I really want the best of all worlds but what do you guys there think it is?
    Opinions welcome!

My Experience

Quote Originally Posted by K2bhm View Post
    Ok. This is all useful guys!
    Where I am now is a Canon 5d3 and 24-105 and 70-200. All big and heavy.
    Also for travel a MFT Olympus EM1 with 12-40 and 40-150. Both razor sharp but not Full frame.
    Dilemma is-
    Sell all and get Sony A7r2 etc or....
    Sell Olympus and get 28-300l canon?
    I really want the best of all worlds but what do you guys there think it is?
    Opinions welcome!
    I think you and I come from the same worlds...I sold much of my Canon gear, just keeping my SL1 and 70D along with lenses that have worked great on my Sony A7r II including the Canon 16-35 IS f4, 100-400 II F4, and 24-70 2.8. Disposed of my 6D, Sony A7r, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, and two Sony Cybershot point and shoots. I truly love the Zeiss 35mm 2.8. Now I want to add to the system. My dilemma given only $1000 approx to spend, do I get the 55mm 1.8 (first choice), 90mm macro, 70 -200 F4 or 24mm 2.0? Reluctant to choose the 24-70 because of some bad reviews.