Thread: Sleepless woodturning

Hardcore Member

Sleepless woodturning

Not sleeping too well....

Picked up a chunk of Red Maple while I was at work on Thursday. The of the few 'perks' of the job you could say....

Made this half as a natural edged. Used 6 coats of lacquer on it....I sort of liked the wet look. This one is 5" tall and 11" across the top, the wall thickness is right at 3/8". Finger crossed that bark will stay on!

This is the other half. I'll have to do a LOT of hand sanding on this one....it has a bunch of bark on the bottom(outside) that I'm hoping will stay on. I applied a coat of tung oil to slow the drying process and will probably finish it in a week or so.

And finally this one is a piece of Black Walnut hollowform that has wall thickness of 1/8" thick through an opening that is 1-/4". Sprayed the 5th coat of lacquer over some buffed tung oil, one more coat and it'll be ready to go! 5" tall and 4-1/2" diameter(at it's widest).

Thanks for viewing....

Scott (seems sleep is overrated) B

Wow, amazing woodworking Scott. They all look great, but the "natural edged" one at the top really caught my eye. I hadn't seen one anything like that before.

Sorry to hear about your dog too. After 13 years, they're one of the family.

take care,
    Willie

Hardcore Member
    Natural edge is a love it or hate it kind of turning. There is always a really high chance the bark will come off during the drying process. And this one has just started 'drying' to the level inside....so it is going to 'move'(moving is 'art').

I've done a large number of bark-on turnings. The rate of bark coming off is about 5% of them....got it sort of figured out. Thankfully, pens are my bread-n-butter and duck calls are getting ready to start being in demand again.

Scott (like to sell 150 of them this next season) B

Hardcore Member
    Ducks!

Pens!

Scott (be happy if I could sleep though) B

Pretty gorgeous pieces of art, Scott. And nice photography of it.

p.s. Sorry to hear about your loss. Sympathies to you.

Stef

Beautiful work! That first one,, it's just hard to imagine how you did that!
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Hardcore Member

Completed the one that was 'in process' this afternoon. Then I finished a few 'roughed out' barrels and shined up the bands on them too. Three down, a five gallon bucket to go.

An even hundred means an a7r! That's after cost to make the blanks, turn them, and get inserts....sounds easy enough? Still need to make a few, okay....a LOT of pens too. And the sawmill is just over a month from being ready. Sure doesn't distract from recent events......

Scott (she's certainly missed) B

There are a lot of things in this thread that I like.
    So to narrow it down I like it all.
    Very well done and top jobs have been done on them all.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters