Thread: Is the Sony NEX 6 still worth buying?

Question Is the Sony NEX 6 still worth buying?

I'm interested in purchasing the NEX-6 on Craigslist as a second body and use it generally for my work at the Acura Dealership...save wear & tear on my beloved A6000.
    I already contacted the seller and got him to reduce the price to $260...it has 4,349 shutter counts.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pho/5143882535.html

Here is an example of what I need the NEX-6 to do...I take photos of new and used vehicles for an Acura dealership. This is one I shot today and still requires additional comment information to be added, but will give you an idea of what I need...

http://www.acuraofboston.com/used/Acura/2008-Acura-TSX-e827ac860a0e0a6b1ecb65cc518a8770.htm

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

I wasn't aware that shutters failed regularly, but I've never taken enough photos to see one fail. If they do have a life expectancy I'd guess it would be in the 10s if not 100s of thousands, or they would be repairing them all the time.
    I used to own stuff

Nice shots of the car btw
    I used to own stuff

If you already have the A6000 I would not bother personally, but can understand wanting an extra camera. In that regard the Nex-6 is a great option for that price and barely used shutter count!

Best of luck and I love my Nex-6, so for that price it really is a steal for what you get. However, the A3000 is brand new w/ kit lens and only $245 US @ Amazon >>

Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcus View Post
    Nice shots of the car btw
    Thanks Tikus
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you already have the A6000 I would not bother personally, but can understand wanting an extra camera. In that regard the Nex-6 is a great option for that price and barely used shutter count!

Best of luck and I love my Nex-6, so for that price it really is a steal for what you get. However, the A3000 is brand new w/ kit lens and only $245 US @ Amazon >>

Thank you Jay for your insight.
    The A3000 would have been a nice option, aside from not having an EVF which I need due to the bright sunlight during the day.

The reason for the purchase of the NEX-6 is to replace the A6000 from being used at work and save it for more personal & leisure photography.
    I'm hoping that the image quality from the NEX-6 will be well matched for what I need it to do.

I've decided to go ahead and make the purchase on the NEX-6...should be picking it up tonight.

Jay~
    How does the Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 perform on the NEX-6?
    Is it as capable as on the A6000?
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Picked up the NEX-6 tonight and looks like everything is in tip top condition. I was a bit disappointed that he decided to keep the hot shoe cover and didn't include a body cap. No strap (not like I would use it). He recently purchased the A6000 and decided to sell this to get back some of his cost. He asked if I needed the 8GB SD card and I graciously let him keep it...I wouldn't really have any use for it anyway. I felt that I got a pretty good deal for $260. The only negative to me is that darn menu system...hate it! I've set it up, so I won't need to go into it very often. I do love the EVF on it though. I ended up making a few purchases on Amazon for the "new to me" NEX-6...spending is never done!

Name:  Amazon Order.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  20.0 KB
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Quote Originally Posted by dragion View Post
    Thank you Jay for your insight.
    The A3000 would have been a nice option, aside from not having an EVF which I need due to the bright sunlight during the day.

The reason for the purchase of the NEX-6 is to replace the A6000 from being used at work and save it for more personal & leisure photography.
    I'm hoping that the image quality from the NEX-6 will be well matched for what I need it to do.

I've decided to go ahead and make the purchase on the NEX-6...should be picking it up tonight.

Jay~
    How does the Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 perform on the NEX-6?
    Is it as capable as on the A6000?
    The A3000 does have an EVF It's a crappy one compared to the Nex-6 though....

Awesome shots and killer combo for sure. I did forget about the awful Nex-6 menu system... It really does suck! I would send you my hot shoe cap, but I lost it years ago

Best of luck and thanks again for sharing the awesome photos of the new gear,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The A3000 does have an EVF It's a crappy one compared to the Nex-6 though....

Awesome shots and killer combo for sure. I did forget about the awful Nex-6 menu system... It really does suck! I would send you my hot shoe cap, but I lost it years ago

Best of luck and thanks again for sharing the awesome photos of the new gear,

Jay

Thanks Jay...I was confused and was referring to the NEX-3 which doesn't have an EVF.
    I don't think the A3000 would suite me anyway...feels too much like going back to a DSLR.

I think I made the right choice...for $260, it can't be too wrong if I did.

As I posted, I purchased the hot shoe cover and body cap with a couple of other items already.

I'll see on Monday if the NEX-6 can keep up with the A6000.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

hi just got a new nex 6 cheap off ebay £350 brand new sealed box got a 30mm f2.8 sigma blown away with image quality from this lens no fringing in trees and is very sharp be getting the sigma s 19mm and 60mm also seen great reviews on the tube , I found the only thing that do rattle off camera but are very sharp very nice prime indeed

ray
    fujifilm XT1 Sony rx10. Sony he 5v Sony a6000. Soon !!

https://500px.com/flow