Thread: a6000 with 16-50 kit lens, is it any good?

a6000 with 16-50 kit lens, is it any good?

Hi

Got a a6000 with 16mm-50mm kit lens for the wife. Is the kit lens worth using for regular photo's? Seems kind of cheap.

I'm getting a Sony A7R-II from B&H (now shipping Aug 5th 2015). I picked up the new Sony G 90mm Macro for my A7R-II when it came out about 2 weeks ago. Seems to work pretty good with the a6000.

I really like what the Sony G 90mm Macro can do. Here are a few test shots I did in about 10 mins along my front sidewalk (just a test).

We both really like the Sony G 90mm Macro, so is the kit lens worth using?

Name:  Sony G 90mm Macro Test a6000 1 7-6-2015..jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  106.2 KBName:  Sony G 90mm Macro Test a6000 2 7-6-2015..jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Sony G 90mm Macro Test a6000 3 7-6-2015..jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  90.1 KB

CaptDave

Nice shots Capt. Dave. As far as the kit lens, it's about average for a kit lens from my experience. It is nice and compact and actually produces some pretty decent images at the right focal lengths and aperture settings. I've been using one off and on for more than 6 months and would say my experience is it's a very useable lens. Just have to play around with it to find what you feel are it's weaknesses and stay away from there. I like it for use in the 22-50mm range and would say most of the shots I've taken in that range were decent. Even some shots at 16mm have turned out ok.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Nice shots Capt. Dave. As far as the kit lens, it's about average for a kit lens from my experience. It is nice and compact and actually produces some pretty decent images at the right focal lengths and aperture settings. I've been using one off and on for more than 6 months and would say my experience is it's a very useable lens. Just have to play around with it to find what you feel are it's weaknesses and stay away from there. I like it for use in the 22-50mm range and would say most of the shots I've taken in that range were decent. Even some shots at 16mm have turned out ok.

Willie
    Thanks

Wife shoots in Jpeg and goes right to Facebook and such. I had her get this lens for when she's on a business trip and needs a few photo's for work.

The first lens I used was my new 90mm Macro, I didn't even want to try the kit lens.

Good to know she can get by with the kit lens.

The wife & I did a drive last weekend, bright sunshine (what could I do, wife picked the route). This is the kind of things I like to shoot normally, for a first test the Sony G 90mm Macro did fine.

Name:  2006 Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue Stover-Myers Mill (1800), PA 7-11-2015.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  283.3 KB

CaptDave
    Last edited by CaptDave; Jul 15 2015 at 04:42 PM.

I use the kit lens with my Alpha 5000, the quality is ok.

Most of my shots are using the SEL55210, or SEL50F18

I don't shoot a lot of wide angle stuff and as soon as I get past 30mm I try to take the shot at 50mm using the SEL50F18, as the difference is day and night between the kit lens and the 50mm prime.

I also just got the SEL30M35 macro which will probably limit my use of the kit lens further
    I used to own stuff

First off, killer sample photos CaptDave and thanks for sharing!

Yes the 16-50mm kit lens is usable, but the distortion and corner sharpness sucks compared to the Zeiss lenses or most prime lenses. The Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 OSS Lens is the best all-in-one solution for the A6000 in my opinion, but is slower @ f/4 If you need more speed, then prime lenses will be the best way to go.

I also have the new FE 90mm lens coming today and can't wait to try it with my A7r

I hope that helps a little?

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    First off, killer sample photos CaptDave and thanks for sharing!

Yes the 16-50mm kit lens is usable, but the distortion and corner sharpness sucks compared to the Zeiss lenses or most prime lenses. The Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 OSS Lens is the best all-in-one solution for the A6000 in my opinion, but is slower @ f/4 If you need more speed, then prime lenses will be the best way to go.

I also have the new FE 90mm lens coming today and can't wait to try it with my A7r

I hope that helps a little?

Jay
    What do you think of the Sony FE 24mm f/2.0? Have you tried the Fisheye Converter? Do these work well together?

Maybe just let the wife use the 24mm as her regular lens?

CaptDave

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    What do you think of the Sony FE 24mm f/2.0? Have you tried the Fisheye Converter? Do these work well together?

Maybe just let the wife use the 24mm as her regular lens?

CaptDave
    Well, it's 28mm not 24mm and I recently reviewed it in detail with both conversion lenses!

Overall I liked the lens for the sharpness, compactness, and price, but the distortion was noticeable in raw quality as you will see in the video above.

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Well, it's 28mm not 24mm and I recently reviewed it in detail with both conversion lenses!

Overall I liked the lens for the sharpness, compactness, and price, but the distortion was noticeable in raw quality as you will see in the video above.

Jay
    I forgot I have watched this video twice already, thanks. I will just see how the a6000 does with the Zeiss 25mm that's shipping soon. I'm trying to stay with lenses that work on her a6000 and my A7R-II (FE).

CaptDave

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I forgot I have watched this video twice already, thanks. I will just see how the a6000 does with the Zeiss 25mm that's shipping soon. I'm trying to stay with lenses that work on her a6000 and my A7R-II (FE).

CaptDave
    Anytime, and I think you will very happy with the Batis lens, but the size might be a bit much on the A6000 I'm thinking... Time will tell

Jay