Thread: Sony AX100 Hands-On Field Test

Sony AX100 Hands-On Field Test

Sony has a lot of cameras to chose from and today I am learning about the video handycam camcorder units, such as the 4k capable, Zeiss equipped FDR-AX100, which goes for ~$1698 US. How exactly these cameras compare to the mirrorless units I'm used to reviewing remains to be determined. However, at this point in time, the AX100 looks impressive for the money if high quality video on a budget is what you need. The 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor is amazing as reviewed on the RX10 and RX100 series cameras, so I would expect an optimized for video version matched with a 12x Zeiss lens to also be great.

Key Features:

• 4K Ultra HD Video at 30 fps/20MP Stills
    • 1" Exmor R CMOS Sensor
    • Bionz X Processor
    • Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* Lens
    • 12x Optical Zoom & 24x Clear Image Zoom
    • Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
    • 0.39" OLED EVF / 3.5" XtraFine LCD
    • High Speed 120 fps Recording
    • Records XAVC S, AVCHD, and MP4
    • Wi-Fi / NFC Connectivity

TheCameraStoreTV put out a solid review of this unit worth checking out in my opinion if you are curious about the quality vs price in an experts opinion.

With Chris out of town, Jordan Drake steps up like and takes a look at the Sony's new consumer 4K camera, the AX100! Did Sony have to make too many compromises to make 4K quality available for this affordable?
    Sony AX100 Hands-On Field Test

Next we have a head to head test of the Sony AX100 vs the Panasonic DMC-GH4:

[4K] Video shoot out: Sony FDR-AX100 vs. Panasonic DMC-GH4 4K consumer camcorder
    Courtesy of Take2100

Direct comparison of 4K footage from Sony FDR-AX100 and Panasonic DMC-GH4. Shot in Pelileu, Palau, fancy picture reveal stark difference between two consumer 4K camcorders, including rolling shutter effect.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Even in a freezing cold land in Antarctica, creatures like penguins and seals keep on walking throughout their lives. We have captured the real life in Antarctica with Sony's 4K Handycam, FDR-AX100.
    Gentoo Penguin “Walking Life in Antarctica” - 4K | Handycam | Sony

Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens