Thread: Firmware 2.0 now released

Firmware 2.0 now released

Per Tech Toy Reviews, http://www.techtoyreviews.com/sony-r...nd-sony-a6000/

Camera- and OS-specific download links at the above URL
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro

Thank you for the news.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

New Firmware Update for A7r, A7s, A7, and A6000!

Thanks for posting Brian! I did not get a chance to post this yesterday and appreciate you sharing the info!

Details and download links below:

• Improvement of camera features and image quality when using the new lenses like SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G
    • Improved startup time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application from PlayMemories Camera Apps
    • Support for “Fast Hybrid AF” on SEL70200G lens and compatible with this feature on the E-mount lenses in near future
    • More Features “Focus hold button”
    • Reduced boot time when the camera is switched on immediately after being switched off
    • Improves image quality
    • Supports more applications like “LiveView Grading” and “Smooth Reflection”
    • Supports the smooth automatic exposure feature in the “Time-lapse” application ver. 2.00 and later

For Sony A6000:

• Reduces boot time
    • Adds XAVC S video format with high bit rates: NTSC: 60p/30p/24p PAL: 50p/25p
    • Improvement of camera features and image quality when using the new lenses like SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G
    • Improved startup time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application from PlayMemories Camera Apps

Note:

• When recording a movie in the XAVC S format, you must use a Class 10 or faster SDXC card.
    • If you format the memory card, all of the data will be erased. Please make sure that the data on the card is backed up before formatting the card.
    Mac OSX:

• Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7 HERE
    • Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7R HERE
    • Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7S HERE
    • Download Firmware for Sony A6000 HERE

Windows:

• Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7 HERE
    • Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7R HERE
    • Download firmware V2.0 for Sony A7S HERE
    • Download firmware Sony for A6000 HERE

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I wish they would be more specific about "improves image quality" that's got me a bit worried.
    And i highly suspect "Improvement of camera features and image quality when using the new lenses like SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G" has to do with pin cushion distortion correction.
    Also when they are saying "Adds XAVC S video format with high bit rates: NTSC: 60p/30p/24p PAL: 50p/25p" are they saying easier up-scaling to 4k?
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

Quote Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
    I wish they would be more specific about "improves image quality" that's got me a bit worried.
    And i highly suspect "Improvement of camera features and image quality when using the new lenses like SEL35F14Z, SEL24240, SEL28F20, SEL90M28G" has to do with pin cushion distortion correction.
    Also when they are saying "Adds XAVC S video format with high bit rates: NTSC: 60p/30p/24p PAL: 50p/25p" are they saying easier up-scaling to 4k?
    Yeah, I would say after all these years of reviewing Sony cameras and lenses, that it's definitely going to correct for the distortion on the raw files. It won't fix them completely, but the 24-240mm lens @ 24mm raw quality needs to be fixed in the corners for sure. This happened when the 16-50mm powerzoom lens first came out as well years ago. @ 16mm the very corners were actually black and then a update cam out fixing it after I reviewed it. I'm thinking the distortion on the sel28f20 will also be corrected a bit, but I already completed my review and it's uploading to youtube now I did update my A7r yesterday, but don't have the lenses anymore. The jpeg files looked really good I thought, but not so much on the raw files with the distortion..

I don't know about the easier 4k up-scaling, but that does make sense from a marketing stand point with the Sony TV's and all.

Great insight and thoughts

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yeah, I would say after all these years of reviewing Sony cameras and lenses, that it's definitely going to correct for the distortion on the raw files. It won't fix them completely, but the 24-240mm lens @ 24mm raw quality needs to be fixed in the corners for sure. This happened when the 16-50mm powerzoom lens first came out as well years ago. @ 16mm the very corners were actually black and then a update cam out fixing it after I reviewed it. I'm thinking the distortion on the sel28f20 will also be corrected a bit, but I already completed my review and it's uploading to youtube now I did update my A7r yesterday, but don't have the lenses anymore. The jpeg files looked really good I thought, but not so much on the raw files with the distortion..

I don't know about the easier 4k up-scaling, but that does make sense from a marketing stand point with the Sony TV's and all.

Great insight and thoughts

Jay
    That's interesting Jay. I'm learning ever so slowly,, so the update actually effects the RAW file? or the in camera jpeg image?

Also The "improved Startup time" has got me thinking as well.
    Currently I've only noticed a start-up lagg when i use a non-sony battery
    With regard "Smart Remote Control" i haven't noticed any longer start-up time after installing it. BUT i did notice a longer shut down time. Now, intermittently the the camera will stay on for a second, then you can hear the shutter snap and then it shuts off.
    Last edited by OldNoob; Jun 17 2015 at 06:56 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

I just updated my Firmware from 1.0 to 2.0.
    No problems encountered except one initial card read error that was fixed by using the in camera SD restore feature. The file system in the SD cards has changed a bit with this firmware update but that's not a problem, its an easy fix with all cards.
    What DID amaze me was the increased speed of video auto focus in low light.
    Although not singled out as a prime feature of the firmware update, there is a definite noticeable improvement.

Last edited by OldNoob; Aug 10 2015 at 12:32 AM.
    Peacock Designs

Thanks for the update! Surprised to hear the video is that much better Happy day!

Jay