Thread: Phottix Odin for Sony

Phottix Odin for Sony

Got Phottix Odin for Sony and used it with HVL-43AM and HVL-58AM. Worked great straight out of the box.
    Last edited by Carlos; Oct 29 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: show signature
    Sony A-77, HVL-43AM, HVL-58AM, SAL1855, SAL30M28, SAL50F18, SAL55200-2
    Phottix Odin for Sony
    Aputure Trigmaster II Reciever and Transmitter - used to trigger Sony Camera wirelessly.
    Zoom H2N
    BlackMagicDesign Intensity Shuttle for USB3.0, Intensity PRO, USTREAM Producer PRO - used for live streaming
    Sony HDR-XR160, HDR-CX220, HXR-NX70N - used for live streaming

Thanks for the info Carlos. A little expensive no? You work for them I assume? Check them out on Amazon Here: Phottix Odin

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

No, I don't work for Phottix. Just an amateur photography enthusiast since 1970s.
    Sony A-77, HVL-43AM, HVL-58AM, SAL1855, SAL30M28, SAL50F18, SAL55200-2
    Phottix Odin for Sony
    Aputure Trigmaster II Reciever and Transmitter - used to trigger Sony Camera wirelessly.
    Zoom H2N
    BlackMagicDesign Intensity Shuttle for USB3.0, Intensity PRO, USTREAM Producer PRO - used for live streaming
    Sony HDR-XR160, HDR-CX220, HXR-NX70N - used for live streaming

Right-on, and sorry about that Carlos. Your first post seemed like an advertisement almost

Thanks again for the info,
    Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Sorry to dig up this thread.

Does anyone know if there's any TTL radio trigger that works for Sony's new multi-interface shoe (MI Shoe) and new Sony flash (e.g. HVL-F60M)?
    I use manual flash mostly, but it would be handy to know one if it's available.

Sony has it set up so you use their flash unit to trigger other Sony flash units remotely. With the FLV-F20M for example, can trigger other flash units wireless and it works like TTL pretty much. You would need another Sony flash unit to trigger at the other end though like the HVL-F43M or HVL-F60M. Another option is a cord, but that is only good for a limited distance.

I hope that helps,
    Jay

Yes for A7R you would need Sony flash on camera to fire remote Sony flash, but with this set-up you need line of site between camera and remote flash

Thanks Jay and Obelix (please say hello to Dogmatix for me). I know Sony's built-in wireless flash. (I have three HVL-F58AM, one HVL-F20AM, and one HVL-F60M. I know I like to shoot with flash.) Unfortunately there are disadvantages on using Sony's flash-based wireless trigger. I can list two off my head: it does not work well outdoor and my soft box blocks the sensor.

(My solution: I've been using Elinchrom Skyport, which is on manual, no TTL.)

As for corded solution:
    I used to carry the FA-CC1AM cable (off camera cable) which worked for previous Auto-lock Accessory Shoe (AAS) as on A350 and NEX-7. To best of my knowledge, there's no multi-interface shoe version of the off-camera cable for current Sony cameras.
    Perhaps an adaptor would work, but I feel too stupid to carry the shoe adaptor.

Advanced Member
    Not meaning to resurrect this thread, but the Odin set is pretty awesome. It's also compatible with the Stratos line of receivers so you can fire your studio strobes AND use the TTL with the Odins. They also recently announced the flashes with built-in receivers/transmitters, as well.

And no, Jay, I don't work for Phottix either.

I always like discussion about flash. In an age where many are trying to shoot without it, its important to be able to use it. Feel free to give an indepth write up about the Odin.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)