Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43

Thread: Zeiss Batis Lens Reviews

  1. #1

    Zeiss Batis Lens Reviews

    Check out all the awesome Zeiss Batis Lens Review content courtesy of Diglloyd:

    Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 Sonnar

    Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless.

    1. Overview of Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 Sonnar
    2. MTF for Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 Sonnar
    3. Vignetting for Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 Sonnar
    4. Distortion for Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 Sonnar
    5. Portrait Examples (Sony A7R) New!
    6. Examples: Spring Snowstorm (Sony A7R) New!
    7. Examples: White Mountains (Sony A7R) New!
    8. On a Tripod With SteadyShot = Damaged Sharpness (Sony A7R, Through the Boulders) New!
    9. Aperture Series: Sculptured Elegance (Sony A7R) New!
    10. Aperture Series: Sapling Above Creek (Sony A7R) New!
    11. Lens Rendering Series: Grass Clump In Mid Stream (Sony A7R) New!
    12. Lens Rendering Series: Grass and Dark Rocks (Sony A7R) New!
    13. Lens Rendering Series: Pine By Creek In Heavy Snow (Sony A7R) New!
    14. Lens Rendering Series: Sunrise Over Saddlebag Lake (Sony A7R) New!
    15. Lens Rendering Series: Aspen Trunks (Sony A7R) New!



    Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon

    Autofocus wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless.


    1. Overview of Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon
    2. MTF for Zeiss Batis 25/2 Distagon
    3. Vignetting for Zeiss Batis 25/2 Distagon
    4. Distortion for Zeiss Batis 25/2 Distagon
    5. Portrait Examples (Sony A7R) New!
    6. Examples: Approaching Spring Snowstorm (Sony A7R) New!
    7. Examples: White Mountains (Sony A7R) New!
    8. Aperture Series: Water Through the Boulders (Sony A7R) New!
    9. Aperture Series: Creek Overview (Sony A7R) New!
    10. Lens Rendering Series: Dusk At Ellery Lake (Sony A7R) New!
    11. Lens Rendering Series: Meadow View of Mt Conness East (Sony A7R) New!


    Jay

    $1199 for the 85mm f/1.8 Lens and $1299 for the 25mm f/2 Lens @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  2. #2
    High Res Zeiss Batis Sample Photos on the Carl Zeiss Flicker Feed Here >>


    Landscape Hawaii #1 by Carl Zeiss Lenses, on Flickr


    Model Shooting #2, Hawaii by Carl Zeiss Lenses, on Flickr

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  3. #3
    Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 REVIEW

    Courtesy of Matt Granger



    $1199 for the 85mm f/1.8 Lens and $1299 for the 25mm f/2 Lens @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  4. #4
    I just saw this and the video above on SonyAlphaRumors:

    3D-Kraft (Click here) tested the new Zeiss Batis lenses and writes:

    “Even though there was not much time for an in-depth look, I am sure, both members of the new Batis family will find friends easily and sell like hot cakes. The Batis 1.8/85 may not have the level of perfection like an Otus 1.4/85 and relies more on lens correction profiles provided by camera firmware and/or raw processors but taking into account the enormous resolution and processing speed of today’s cameras, this seems like a very well balanced compromise. This allows to provide a professional grade lens it in a compact and lightweight form factor including autofocus and optical stabilization with a reasonable price tag.
    The Batis 2/25 surprised me with extraordinary sharpness across the whole frame right from open aperture in a compact, lightweight housing. At f/2.0 you may have to correct some vignetting and some minor CAs but these almost disappear already when you stop down one step to f/2.8. Thanks to its wide aperture and short close focus, it provides additional options to play with depth of field and shows a pleasing bokeh not available when using wide angle zoom lenses.”
    $1199 for the 85mm f/1.8 Lens and $1299 for the 25mm f/2 Lens @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  5. #5
    I find these images soft for some reason. I'm between the 85z and the old 55z, the 55 seems sharper but I want the OSS. Hopefully some comparisons will come.

  6. #6
    I think I am going with the Sony Macro lens instead.......but still debating...
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  7. #7
    Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 & 85mm f/1.8 Hands-on

    DigitalRev TV

    Published on Jun 19, 2015
    These Carl Zeiss lenses have OLED displays on them, where a normal distance scale should be. Some might find it gimmicky but all we want to find out is: are they any good?



    $1199 for the 85mm f/1.8 Lens and $1299 for the 25mm f/2 Lens @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  8. #8

    Steve Huff got his expert hands on the Zeiss Batis lenses and posted a full review here: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/0...8-lens-review/

    Zeiss Batis 25mm & 85mm on the Sony A7II. Hand's on look!





    $1199 for the 85mm f/1.8 Lens and $1299 for the 25mm f/2 Lens @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  9. #9

    85mm Otus vs 85mm Batis - Zeiss showdown

    Now this is totally worth checking out when you get some time! Matt Granger shows off why the Otus 85mm lens is so much more money, and also just how good the Batis 85mm lens actually is..

    85mm Otus vs 85mm Batis - Zeiss showdown



    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  10. #10
    You really need to stop posting this crap!

    Now, because of you, I am going to have to score both of the Batis lenses...... Hope your happy.....
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    You really need to stop posting this crap!

    Now, because of you, I am going to have to score both of the Batis lenses...... Hope your happy.....
    lol, I was wondering what you would think of this video!

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  12. #12
    B&H says shipping starts Friday, we will see.

    I have both on order!

    Just received the new Sony G 90mm Macro about 2 weeks ago, wonderful.

    Why am I getting the 90mm Macro & the 85mm Zeiss? Because I can!

    Sony A7R-II is on order from B&H also, got my order in the first 2 minute's.

    Hope this all works out.

    CaptDave

  13. #13
    Thanks CaptDave for the update and would love to see some sample photos

    Way to go getting both and I'm sure you will be happy with them based on what I'm seeing.

    Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    B&H says shipping starts Friday, we will see.

    I have both on order!

    Just received the new Sony G 90mm Macro about 2 weeks ago, wonderful.

    Why am I getting the 90mm Macro & the 85mm Zeiss? Because I can!

    Sony A7R-II is on order from B&H also, got my order in the first 2 minute's.

    Hope this all works out.

    CaptDave
    Well I can get both the Macro and Batis also, I just don't know if it makes sense...... For me atleast....
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  15. #15

    Sony A7R-II & Zeiss 25mm & 85mm on order.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks CaptDave for the update and would love to see some sample photos

    Way to go getting both and I'm sure you will be happy with them based on what I'm seeing.

    Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay

    I have had a Sony A350 (first DSLR in 2009) with 2 kit lens. Changed to a Sony A77 when it first came out. Was waiting for the Sony A99-II, going Pro Gear (oh well).

    Having been waiting this past year for the right gear. The A7R-II is perfect for what I need. Just picked up a a6000 for the wife so we could get familiar with the menu systems before we get the A7R-II (shipping July 28, 2015 from B&H).

    Zeiss 25mm & 85mm are on order from B&H, maybe shipping Friday (no rush).

    At the moment my only test shots are from my Sony G 90mm Macro with a Sony a6000, I'm impressed with the quality of the little a6000 (fun to use).

    I have checked out (and had on order from B&H, 10 min after release) the Canon 5DSR. Got to hold and try out the Canon 5DSR at a NJ event about a month ago. It's like going back in time 20 years, low tech (and heavy). The Sony A7-II puts it to shame, that's why I canceled my order. Then the Sony A7R-II was announced a short time later, thank God.

    About 2 months ago I was close to getting the Nikon D810 with a bunch of Pro Lenses, that was close. D810 is Old School also, and heavy.

    That's my story, I also have a house full of Sony Electronics (except for my Bose items).

    CaptDave

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Well I can get both the Macro and Batis also, I just don't know if it makes sense...... For me atleast....
    I think it makes sense if #1 you can afford it, #2 you have a justified requirement for a full frame 90mm macro lens and 85mm portrait lens #3 Want to have the best lenses available for any given purpose

    I really wish I had extra funds like that these days, but I believe it will be another 15-20 years before that happens again I have to work magic to buy gear these days... I super fortunate to get to use all the gear though at least!

    Best,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Jay

    I have had a Sony A350 (first DSLR in 2009) with 2 kit lens. Changed to a Sony A77 when it first came out. Was waiting for the Sony A99-II, going Pro Gear (oh well).

    Having been waiting this past year for the right gear. The A7R-II is perfect for what I need. Just picked up a a6000 for the wife so we could get familiar with the menu systems before we get the A7R-II (shipping July 28, 2015 from B&H).

    Zeiss 25mm & 85mm are on order from B&H, maybe shipping Friday (no rush).

    At the moment my only test shots are from my Sony G 90mm Macro with a Sony a6000, I'm impressed with the quality of the little a6000 (fun to use).

    I have checked out (and had on order from B&H, 10 min after release) the Canon 5DSR. Got to hold and try out the Canon 5DSR at a NJ event about a month ago. It's like going back in time 20 years, low tech (and heavy). The Sony A7-II puts it to shame, that's why I canceled my order. Then the Sony A7R-II was announced a short time later, thank God.

    About 2 months ago I was close to getting the Nikon D810 with a bunch of Pro Lenses, that was close. D810 is Old School also, and heavy.

    That's my story, I also have a house full of Sony Electronics (except for my Bose items).

    CaptDave
    Awesome info CaptDave, I appreciate you sharing! The full frame units you were considering are on their last final breath I believe as mirrorless officially takes over... Sony has done it with the A7r II, and now it is time to make the jump if you have been waiting or contemplating the "if it's worth it game" in your head. Just my opinion of course.

    I have to put my old pro gear on Ebay ASAP

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I think it makes sense if #1 you can afford it, #2 you have a justified requirement for a full frame 90mm macro lens and 85mm portrait lens #3 Want to have the best lenses available for any given purpose

    I really wish I had extra funds like that these days, but I believe it will be another 15-20 years before that happens again I have to work magic to buy gear these days... I super fortunate to get to use all the gear though at least!

    Best,
    Jay

    I can afford it but..... I bought the Mitakon Dark Knight 50mm f/.95, and the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, and I find I don't use the Mitakon much. I bought it after the Zeiss and when I look back it probably didn't make much sense, again, atleast to me. I am thinking
    of selling the Dark Knight, I have only used it maybe 3 times..... I like it, but I keep finding myself using the Zeiss instead.

    I can see the same thing happening with the 90mm and the 85mm...
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Now this is totally worth checking out when you get some time! Matt Granger shows off why the Otus 85mm lens is so much more money, and also just how good the Batis 85mm lens actually is..

    85mm Otus vs 85mm Batis - Zeiss showdown


    Otus has a lot better bokeh even both at F1.8,,, much better buttering, smoothing, let's say seperating background,,no crowd...I was not expecting that much of a difference at the same Aperture...I was actually expecting similar/same type/style of bokeh/blurr/seperation you name it.............

    Isn't it strange for you guys? .....

  20. #20
    Zeiss 85mm now shipping mid August from B&H, don't know why?

    Zeiss Batis 85mm & 25mm are $2,500 for both. Just one Otis is about $4,500, I will stick with the Batis for me.

    CaptDave

  21. #21
    Not really that surprising considering the physical size difference and cost. I did expect a closer contest with bokeh, but the sharpness I knew Otus had a clear edge. The Otus has more micro contrast bite and 3d pop due to this in my opinion...
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  22. #22
    the Otus is obviously a badass piece of glass, no doubt. However what I see from the Batis and for its price, I can work with that. This reminds me of something me and Lu did a few years back. We went to a Dodge dealership and fell in love with a brand new Viper, this was in 2003. The price on this car was lowered to 80k. We decided to go have lunch and think on it. While having lunch we decided to go for it and buy it, you only live once. We went to dealership to discover it had sold, and to a friend of ours no-less. So we turned around and bought three 3 cheaper SRT-4's and modified them, one making 637hp and another making 558hp and the third we left alone, all this for the price of the one Viper. So I like what CaptDave said.... Yes the Otus is top notch, but damn you can get 3 fine lenses for the same price. Now I am not knocking the Otus, for the photographers that demand the absolute finest in optics, there you go. It is wonderful to have options.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  23. #23
    Elite Member leuius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Montreal (QC)
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    the Otus is obviously a badass piece of glass, no doubt. However what I see from the Batis and for its price, I can work with that. (snip) It is wonderful to have options.
    Exactly my thought! Another mind-challenging option could be the new Sony FE 90mm macro G. Designed for close-up but good enough for non-pro portrait? Interesting dilemma.

    Stef

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Exactly my thought! Another mind-challenging option could be the new Sony FE 90mm macro G. Designed for close-up but good enough for non-pro portrait? Interesting dilemma.

    Stef

    I am beating my head on the wall trying to choose between the Otus and the Macro, I could get both, I just don't think that makes much sense, for me atleast, so I have been struggling deciding between the two.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    Exactly my thought! Another mind-challenging option could be the new Sony FE 90mm macro G. Designed for close-up but good enough for non-pro portrait? Interesting dilemma.

    Stef
    More like brutal dilemma The macro is clearly not designed to produce a killer portrait bokeh, so for that the batis will win hands down IMO. Otus is the best of the best, and great to have options as Lucille said. We could always rent it for a weekend shoot if need be. Super high end client for ex..

    For all other purposes, the 90mm macro is a great solution though I'm thinking so far. The macro bokeh looks great, but not the portrait so much.

    And of course the rumored 85mm f/1.4 will be killer??
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  26. #26
    Batis 25 & 85 shipping in limited supply from B&H.

    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

    I didn't get my order in at the beginning, I don't expect anything for a while.

    B&H says: New Item-Coming soon

    I didn't receive any emails from B&H myself. B&H no longer says coming Mid Aug, who knows?

    CaptDave

  27. #27
    Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm Lens Review courtesy Mathieu Gasquet



    FE 25mm f/2 Batis Lens for ~$1299 US @ BHPhoto
    FE 85mm f/1.8 Batis lens for ~$1199 US @ BHPhoto
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  28. #28
    Every time I think I have made a decision between the Batis and the 90mm Macro, here comes Jay with some images, a video review, ect. I think he is doing it on purpose just to torment me, as I agonize over my decision.


    So as I now see it, here are my options:

    1. Shut up and buy both lenses.

    2. Buy one or the other and always wonder about the one I didn't buy.

    3. Buy this forum and ban Jay.
    the HepKitty from Hepcat City.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Every time I think I have made a decision between the Batis and the 90mm Macro, here comes Jay with some images, a video review, ect. I think he is doing it on purpose just to torment me, as I agonize over my decision.


    So as I now see it, here are my options:

    1. Shut up and buy both lenses.

    2. Buy one or the other and always wonder about the one I didn't buy.

    3. Buy this forum and ban Jay.
    I literally just laughed for a good 30 seconds at least
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

  30. #30
    If you end up getting one of the Zeiss Batis lenses, here is how you set-up OLED display on the lens properly. Video tutorial courtesy of Sar Andrea



    FE 25mm f/2 Batis Lens for ~$1299 US @ BHPhoto
    FE 85mm f/1.8 Batis lens for ~$1199 US @ BHPhoto

    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

    Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •