Thread: Sony A77 II Review by DPreview - Killer Value For Pro Results!

Sony A77 II Review by DPreview - Killer Value For Pro Results!

I just saw that DPreview (Click Here) posted it's full review of the amazing Sony A77 II A-Mount Camera which now goes for only $998 using current $200 Off Rebate

The bottom line is the Sony A77 II performs incredible and for the price point it is UN-beatable. Where you do have to pay is in the lens department unfortunately, so the killer Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G II lens for example will set you back almost $3000, but Tamron and Sigma offer much more affordable f/2.8 solutions if needed...

The Sony SLT-A77 II is - as the name implies - an overhaul of the original A77, from from 2011. The A77 Mark II features a new autofocus sensor, and it's much more than a refreshed version of an existing design. Instead the A77 II is built around the AF module with the most focus points of any camera on the market (79), covering an extremely wide area of the frame. It's also rated to work in lighting as low as -2EV. That doesn't necessarily make it quite as sophisticated at pro-grade DSLRs, since they have more cross and diagonal sensor elements, but it looks very impressive for a camera in this part of the market.

Conclusion - Pros

• 12 fps burst with AF-C is useful for fast action
    • Continuous AF is effective during still and video capture
    • Face detection works well
    • Good build quality and overall ergonomics
    • SteadyShot is useful in both still and video capture
    • Ability to record video using XAVC S codec
    • Fully articulating LCD

Conclusion - Cons

• Lock-on AF functionality is hit or miss
    • Noisy high ISO images
    • Heavy noise reduction in JPEG
    • 12 fps mode offers little to no control over shutter speed and aperture
    • Only 15 cross-type AF points, limited to a central portion of the frame
    • No way to quickly check focus in image review, since only center of image is magnified
    • Four-way controller is mushy
    • No headphone jack
    • Buffer takes a long time to clear and locks up camera

Sony Alpha SLT-A77II Review on DPreview >>

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

As a owner of the A77 who was forced to move to a new camera I think this sort of gives me the rights to say a few things.
    So my old camera died and I was going to swap over to a Canon 70D I think but not real sure what it was but it was close to that.
    I knew that that camera had a lot of the features the old A77 had and this made it a better way to look at it for me.
    So I was all set to place the order and we had just got home from being a week away.

We unpacked and my wife took the Tamron 150/600mm lens with her as I had to fly up to her, and this would save on the weight I was to carry around.
    So as I unpacked I got to the big lens and I looked at it and thought how it took me a long to get it.
    And I knew if I had to sell it I was only going to get maybe at best $400 so I stood to lose a lot of money.

And it hit me why get a new brand of camera and then try to find the right adapter to put my Sony lens to a Canon.
    I just couldn't do it. I told the wife who was against sending away to America to get it.
    But there were none here in Australian and I think about 10 world wide.
    I sat the wife down and told her the reason to why I wanted to move the the Sony A77ii.
    And she said go ahead what ever makes you happy.
    Which is women's talk it I think you are bloody stupid and just buy the one you can get in a few days.

i ordered my new camera and it got here much faster that we can send a normal letter from one end of Australia to the other.
    All this means is now I have to learn and you would think it would be easy.
    Well not you are wrong there are a few things that are different and you have to get them right.
    Over the next few weeks I played with it and then It started to come.
    My images were as I think even clearer. Its a far better camera than the old A77.
    The big wigs on the would of photography complaining about this or that.
    Well big deal. I have not found any of the crap things they have said to be an issue with me.
    So I will give this camera a 9 out of 10 as we all know there are things that can be made better.
    So I just feel as a 100% mark is to unfair and no camera is worthy of this as far as I know.
    As I am only talking about the old and new Sony A77.

When I am due for my next camera I will stay with Sony and just hope they keep the A Mount format.
    As I will look at going for the A99 III or whatever is on the list at that time.
    Sony have got good camera's and people who complain about them as I see are the people who don't read the how to use part.
    So long live The Sony in the A Mount format.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Thank you for the detailed update Gramps and I'm glad you are super happy with the A77 II. It's always tempting to look around when it's time for a new camera, but when you factor in all the things that actually matter, Sony always seams to rise to the top of the list for me and I think you made a wise decision considering the lens situation and all

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens