Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A7R vs A7II .. Help me choose!

Question A7R vs A7II .. Help me choose!

Okay, so I'm new here (converting from canon) .. I've joined to ask some advice from you guys as I've been stuck between buying the A7R and the A7II.

I mainly shoot landscape & nature shots, but I would also want a Camera to shoot weddings (in the future when I've stopped travelling)
    I would love to see a comparison of the sharpness of the images produced out of both cameras in day and low light!!

Ok here are my questions -
    1. is the A7II that much better in low light / high ISO situations?
    2. how does the dynamic range/colour compare?
    3. How do these cameras go with the metabones adapters?

I've had trouble finding many comparisons of these two cameras, any help is appreciated! .. spent a lot of time watching tonnes of videos on each, still cant decide... I could find the A7R second hand for about $1,400 but the A7II Brand new is $1800 (can't find any second hand yet).

Thanks, Cass
    Last edited by Casiii09; Apr 12 2015 at 09:12 AM.

The A7r I own and it is sharper than the 24mp sensor A7 II camera due to the lack of Anti-aliasing filter. The 24mp is no slouch though mind you, but if you want the ultimate sharpness for landscape the A7r is currently the better sensor option in my opinion. All other advantages go to the A7 II however making your decision brutal at best. The A7rII or A9 might be coming in the near future as well. If that happens the A7 II will drop in price for sure.

The in camera 5-axis stabilization is awesome for using the fast primes like the 55mm f/1.8 lens for example. Particularly killer for wedding and portrait work.

Low light wise High ISO wise the A7r and A7 II are fairly close, but again advantage to the A7 II for hand-holding with slower shutter speeds due to 5-axis steadyshot. The A7r also has a loud shutter mechanism which is not that good for weddings when low noise is better.

The A7r is really best for landscapes in the studio on a tri-pod in my opinion.... The dynamic range and color are better on the A7r sensor in my opinion as well.

I hope that helps a little?

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I can solve this dilemma.. GET EM BOTH!

Cass,
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Casiii09 View Post
    High ISO? Haven't actually tested A7 II in low light yet.
    To my untrained eyes (i.e. amateur), they look about the same.
    Still waiting for my free metabone adaptor to arrive.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

I think the a7RII is coming very soon. So maybe it's better wait and decide between the a7II and a7RII?

Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    I think the a7RII is coming very soon. So maybe it's better wait and decide between the a7II and a7RII?

I never purchased a A7R, my Buddy Steve Huff advised me not to when it came out. I eagerly await a A7RII or a A9.......

Thanks guys! I guess its just a dilemma because I also want it for weddings. I've heard the A7R doesnt actually like to AF in low light.. so that would be annoying for weddings also :|
    Should I just spend the extra money and get a 5D Mark III? I have found one second hand with under 10k actuations for $2,000 (with a broken HDMI port.. which I don't use usually anyway) , which is actually less than what I was going to pay for a brand new A7II ( $1,800 plus $300 metabones :S ) and its better for event photos.... maybe I dont want to use a flash in an inbetween setting.
    Man.. this is killer!

A7r vs A7II:
    I'd get the A7II. It is coming out with a 48mp mode for landscape stills anyhow so why not, it has its imperfections though. Main point is the stability, which is kind of a big deal. 24mp is plenty sharp enough for me, and if I want more than that I wouldn't blame my sensor, I'd blame my lens and get a sharper one. I believe they work about the same with adapters.

Thanks guys! I guess its just a dilemma because I also want it for weddings. I've heard the A7R doesnt actually like to AF in low light.. so that would be annoying for weddings also :|
    Should I just spend the extra money and get a 5D Mark III? I have found one second hand with under 10k actuations for $2,000 (with a broken HDMI port.. which I don't use usually anyway) , which is actually less than what I was going to pay for a brand new A7II ( $1,800 plus $300 metabones :S ) and its better for event photos.... maybe I dont want to use a flash in an inbetween setting.
    Man.. this is killer!
    As for the Canon vs Sony, I'd use the canon. Great AF, great low light, and all the lenses are available with aftermarket support. You don't want Sony with an adapter for action.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    As for the Canon vs Sony, I'd use the canon. Great AF, great low light, and all the lenses are available with aftermarket support. You don't want Sony with an adapter for action.
    Hmmm seeing though I have found this 5D cheaper, I'm swaying away from the sony's ... after all the thing that sets them apart most from their competitors is the price factor (and size) , with the 5D so cheap and no need for an adapter, so many damn lenses to choose from it seems like the way to go. I think the colour is nicer as well

Canon 5D is old camera with not so good AF, and that is only advantage of Canon 5D mk2/mk3 over Sony A7 series.
    Here is the link for DXO numbers on 5D vs A7II http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compa...S-5D___996_176
    A7II beats it every category, even Sony A6000 with APS-C sensor have better scores than 5D.
    What Canon lenses do you have now, EF or EF-S? EF-S lenses do not work with FF Canon cameras.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Obelix; Apr 13 2015 at 06:25 AM.

I also have the canon 5d mark II and it is an amazing camera! For weddings specifically, the focus is so much faster. The pdaf module and mirror due offer an advantage over the mirrorless cameras! As said above the metabones is no good for any kind of action. Native emount lenses would be the best option, or using the laea4 lens adapter and amount lenses.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

5D is cheap for a reason. I'd at least go with a 5DmkII and pay the extra couple of hundreds... The saying goes, "The poor man pays twice."
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Yeah, the original 5d is not the best for weddings these and is better suited for landscape photography or studio portraiture type work where ISO levels are really low and controlled.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I can solve this dilemma.. GET EM BOTH!
    I love this answer. (And I do.)

Should I just spend the extra money and get a 5D Mark III?
    Of course, the world famous 5D Mark III is the de facto Pro camera, designed for Professional. Unless you want to be the rich Pro then Canon 1DX is the choice.

I'm confused guys, are you talking about the original 5D?
    I'm talking about the 5D Mark III (I was abbreviating!) - I've heard great things about it and for weddings also!

I'm talking about the 5D Mark III (I was abbreviating!)
    Don't.
    Especially, don't drop the "Mark III" part. "M3" or "m3" is you really wish to save a few keystrokes.

As in general, unnecessary abbreviation (or laziness) can cause confusion over most forums.

This is not TXT or instant messaging, and we appreciate every member takes extra time to compose proper and easy understanding sentences.

Canon 5D is model of the camera, so abbreviating this from Canon 5D mk III is not good idea.
    It just creates confusion, like in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Canon 5D is model of the camera, so abbreviating this from Canon 5D mk III is not good idea.
    It just creates confusion, like in this case.
    Yes, great point as I was also confused.... It doesn't take much for me though honestly!

Jay

... stuck between buying the A7R and the A7II.

I mainly shoot landscape & nature shots, but I would also want a Camera to shoot weddings (in the future when I've stopped travelling)
    I would love to see a comparison of the sharpness of the images produced out of both cameras in day and low light!!

... I could find the A7R second hand for about $1,400 but the A7II Brand new is $1800 (can't find any second hand yet).
    Cass,

I own the Sony A7R, A7S and A7 II.

You mention "sharpness of the images". All the A7 series cameras will produce as sharp an image as the lens allows. Of course you might be swapping sharpness for resolution? In that case the order of "sharpness" is A7R, A7 II and A7S, although the 1st camera I grab on the way out of the house is the A7S. Why? It is great in low light; it autofocuses with Sony lenses in light conditions that neither the A7R nor A7 II will. It has amazingly good image quality across an ISO range of 50 thru about 25600 (depending upon your definition of "good image quality"?).

Now with regard to noise, i.e.: performance in low light / high ISO situations. My testing (dark images analyzed in PixInsight) shows the A7S leads the way by a large margin with the A7R about 2-3 stops behind (i.e.: you get about the same image quality at ISO 3200 on the A7R as ISO 12800 on the A7S) and the A7 II a touch worse than the A7R. The A7 II low light images appear to have quite a lot of "color" noise; more than the A7R.

Dynamic range pretty much follows the noise performance. The A7S wins by a fairly large margin. The A7R and A7 II probably tie for 2nd place.

You mentioned weddings (assuming indoor conditions?). The A7S and A7 II both have electronic 1st shutter modes which does make them a bit quieter than the A7R. The A7S can also be run in silent shutter mode but this does reduce the bit level of images, although I don't think I've seen the difference. The A7S is also going to autofocus considerably better under indoor lighting conditions and shoots fairly decent video under ambient lighting (if you're into video). As far as autofocus goes, the A7 II is probably in 2nd place with the A7R somewhat behind. You can also push the A7S's ISO more than either of the other two and get those fast moving grandkids, pets, etc. Just remember the 5 axes IBIS on the A7 II just stops camera shakes at longer exposures. It doesn't stop the motion of the target, i.e.: fast moving targets. And for those darker shots the higher dynamic range of the A7S is going to allow you to pull out the detail better in postprocessing. The above said, the A7R with Sony lenses is reasonable autofocushooting and shooting fast moving targets, per:
    Name:  Octocopter%u00252B-%u00252B2015Mar18%u00252B%u00252850%u002525%u002529.jpg
Views: 14197
Size:  87.2 KB
    Sony A7R with Sony 70-200mm lens @ 137mm, f/8.0, 1/1000 sec, ISO 400

All A7 series cameras work well with Metabones adapters as well as Commlite, King and a number of others. I personally like the Commlite and King, primarily for cost performance. I actually find the Metabones too tight a fit on the camera body; some people like this, I don't! I adapt Canon EF & FD, Pentax, Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, M42 and T2 lenses to my A7 cameras. All perform at least, if not better, on the A7 cameras as they did on their original bodies.

If you're taking a serious look at the A7R, I notice there was a price reduction announced yesterday which probably means the A7R II is not that far away (May?). Might be worth waiting a bit and see what Sony has improved on the new release. The change between the A7 and A7 II was adequate to push me over the edge on buying.

My personal choice/selection:
    - A7R: outdoor, wildlife, for when I require the higher resolution and/or ability to aggressively crop, i.e.: small targets
    - A7S: pretty much any environment but definitely indoor / low light, nightscape or good quality video.
    - A7/A7 II: general purpose, reasonable lighting, (happy) middle of the road resolution.

I have full spectrum modified the A7R and A7S for astro/nightscape/IR photography. Love them both in this capacity but each has its pros and cons.
    I will keep the A7 II (unmodded) solely for daytime usage. I've tested it for astrophotography and it came up wanting, although I may do some additional testing in this area?
    A7 II Testing To This Point

You have a hard decision to make. Good luck!

bwa

Misty Valley Ranch (Observatory) Albums

Fantastic information and welcome to the forums BWA

Thanks again for taking the time to write it all up and share!

Jay

(...) what I was going to pay for a brand new A7II ( $1,800 plus $300 metabones :S )
    I thought both A7r and A7 Mark II came with redeem code for free adaptor. (You can choose LA-EA4, or a Metabone for Canon EF, Leica M or Nikon G).

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    I thought both A7r and A7 Mark II came with redeem code for free adaptor. (You can choose LA-EA4, or a Metabone for Canon EF, Leica M or Nikon G).
    I think this was Australia only deal

Don't.
    Especially, don't drop the "Mark III" part. "M3" or "m3" is you really wish to save a few keystrokes.

As in general, unnecessary abbreviation (or laziness) can cause confusion over most forums.

This is not TXT or instant messaging, and we appreciate every member takes extra time to compose proper and easy understanding sentences.
    Sorry guys! Accident, I was just typing quickly saying 5D and didn't think about it :S I don't usually post on forums or anything.
    I think I've decided on the Canon 5D mk3 now that I've snaked it at a good price seems to come up as a good all rounder camera, as these two sony's are more suited towards landscape and such.. not so much events with sketchier lighting. I think an all rounder is the best way for me to go at the moment while I only have one camera.
    My partner is buying the A7S so I'll get to play with it and its awweesome low light capabilities.

Excellent. Hope your enjoy your Canon 5D Mark III.

Thanks for the update and it sounds like you made a great decision for your needs

Jay

Congrats on your choice. The 5DmKIII will make you happy and suit your needs, I'm sure.

Sony community helps steer indecisive photographer towards Canon purchase. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    Sony community helps steer indecisive photographer towards Canon purchase. What?
    Sony community acknowledges competitors' excellent devices.

I am so glad that SonyAlphaForum is a mature community, we don't bash other brands just because they are not Sony.

Sony community acknowledges competitors' excellent devices.

I am so glad that SonyAlphaForum is a mature community, we don't bash other brands just because they are not Sony.
    That would be very foolish if you ask me, and great point Antony! I was thinking very parallel thoughts on this topic and replies so far

Jay

I can say that I have no experience with the a7r, but have heard it is brilliant for lanscape (with a tripod). I do have the a7II with the 35MM,55MM ziess primes and the brilliant 70-200 g zoom, and the picture quality is outstanding for a zoom. This camera is a brilliant tool and I have shot everything with it. As for the metabones it is not bad but struggles with auto focus on the bigger lenses. I use my wifes canon lenses in manual mode and focus peaking and it is not bad. for my grand children always dashing about I use my super fast a6000. Allso crop censer lenses at the bottem end, say 16 to 18mm works on full frame. my 20mm for my a6000 workes like a 24 mm after cropping and not bad quality too.
    Okay, so I'm new here (converting from canon) .. I've joined to ask some advice from you guys as I've been stuck between buying the A7R and the A7II.

I've had trouble finding many comparisons of these two cameras, any help is appreciated! .. spent a lot of time watching tonnes of videos on each, still cant decide... I could find the A7R second hand for about $1,400 but the A7II Brand new is $1800 (can't find any second hand yet).

Thanks, Cass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast