Thread: Yeah so I got the OM-D EM-5 Mark II and here are a few sample photos

Yeah so I got the OM-D EM-5 Mark II and here are a few sample photos

I can tell you immediately that the image quality of the OM-D EM-5 Mark II is not on the same level as the Sony cameras. This was expected by me, and even my Nex-6 will dog this unit in IQ challenges as I will show in the lab asap.

However, the IQ is still really good in the real world, so lets not forget this as we compare to the larger sensor Sony cameras....

A few snaps for haha's as I need to put together another article for the main website. I will do some lab testing and use my Nex-6 to compare 16mp vs 16mp OM-D. This will really show the sensor size depth of field difference and high ISO abilities of each system. The A6000 has about the same high ISO noise as the Nex-6 in my opinion. Although the resolution is clearly higher on the a6000.

I was using the M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 Lens which works out to an effective 50mm with the 2x crop factor...

One of the art filter effects called dramatic tone

Looking at a easter egg window sticker with bones in the background on the deck.

The old Z-Scene which I love to use for testing and comparing.

As you can see the IQ is really good with the 25mm f/1.8 lens, but just doesn't have that same 3d pop for an f/1.8 lens like you might expect. Still, good quality overall and I really like the lens and camera body big time!

More testing to come in a full article on the main website soon...

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I just wanted to add one more image I took that really impressed me. Not the actual image itself, but the fact that I was able to hand held for 1 full second and take this shot is amazing! I took several frames that were ok sharpness in my opinion and was extremely impressed I have never been able to hand-hold that long before, new personal record...

On another note, the white balance was way off on this early am image...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony Nex-6, 18-55mm, 55-210mm OSS Lens, 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

and even my Nex-6 will dog this unit in IQ challenges as I will show in the lab asap.

Yesterday I tried three times to respond to this, only to not post because I couldn't word a answer that wouldn't come off as disrespectful or condescending.

Lets just say I highly disagree, and in fact sold off my Nex 6 because of my OMD. It absolutely does not dog the OMD in real WORLD images, lab tests have never swayed me one bit regardless of who does them, rather real world images do,
    and I could flood this forum with real world OMD images that would rival the Sony full frames, let alone the Nex 6.

Hope I am not being disrespectful, as it is not my intent, I love what you do and wish you to do it for many years to come, however the OMD is more then capable and in many of my personal cases just kicked my Nex 6 to the curb, I only wish
    Sony had the stellar glass that micro 4/3rds has.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    the OMD is more then capable and in many of my personal cases just kicked my Nex 6 to the curb, I only wish
    Sony had the stellar glass that micro 4/3rds has.
    Just curious, what aspects of your Olympus or 4/3rd cameras in general did you like over an emount? Is there a certain look the images have in comparison to emount cameras?
    a3000 & a5000: Touit 12/2.8, 32/1.8, and 50/2.8, Sony 55-210

I really like the Olympus color signature. I have done some side by side testing of my OMD with the Panny Leica 25mm f/1.4 vs. my Sony A7S with the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8. The Sony does indeed win, but the OMD in my opinion comes very close in IQ
    during some of the night time car images we did. I actually prefer the OMD files over my Sony Nex 6 and 3n. For the reach (2x crop factor) I decided to keep the OMD over the APS-C Sonys.

The biggest appeal for me with micro 4/3rds is the incredible glass that is available. With that said my favorite lens is the simple Panosonic 14mm f/2.5 which was a kit lens on certain Panosonic bodys. The color I get from this lens is outstanding and its
    28mm (in 35mm full frame equiv) is perfect for what I do. Now with the new 28mm f/2.0 by Sony that will probably change for me.

The OMD with it's Sony sensor punches above it's weight class, it has a live view long exposure mode that lets you see the image as it is exposing and via a remote I can stop it when it is perfectly exposed, something I wish Sony
    would do, and its 5 axis stabilization was always huge with me as it allowed me to shoot at slower shutter speeds in lowlight conditions hand held and get sharp images, but Sony has answered that in the new A7 MII.

A little history on me, I was a big Canon fan girl, walking around with the Rebels (t2i, t3i, t4i, 40d, 60d), my friend Steve Huff was ranting about a Olympus camera called the E-pl1, he claimed it had great OOC jpegs.
    This camera went on sale for $119 for a refurb from Olympus, so I got one. The E-pl1 is a clumsy camera and one must menu dive to operate it in manual, but I somehow fell in love with it, and I did love the files, and Olympus
    swayed me away from Canon, I started getting rid of my Canon gear. Sony then releases the Nex 7 and I tried to buy one, my work takes me around the Western USA, I couldn't find a Nex 7 in stock anywhere, in New Mexico, in Arizona,
    in Oregon, in Washington St, I couldn't find one. I did find a Sony A65 SLT and I bought it and a 35mm f/1.8 prime, and I liked this combo very much, but I found I took the E-pl1 everywhere as its tiny size made it easy to so
    and its IQ was rather decent. When the OMD came out I had to have it, and what a winner that body is, it put the final nails in Canons coffin for me and I got rid of all my Canon gear.

Sony then releases the Rx1 and I was in, a full frame tiny camera with a 35mm Zeiss, a heavenly combo, and to this day I still say the Rx1 has some of the best IQ I have ever seen and worked with, yet with what I do, and this probably
    isn't the case for many others, the OMD IQ was close, so close in fact that I didn't see the need for APS-C anymore. I had the Nex 6 with the Zeiss 24mm and I never liked the files, they were good, but they didn't have 'that look' that
    I wanted, they always seemed flat. I still have the Nex 3n and that Zeiss 24mm, I am not a fan of this lens, the problem though was the Rx1 is so incredibly good it was ruining other cameras for me.

I don't use the OMD much anymore, but I bring my 12 year old grandson with me a lot and I put it in his hands love what he does, capturing that magic that made me fall in love with it when I bought it new. It I now
    my oldest sons main body.

My whole family is into photography, we often cover events as a family and the OMD is a big part of this, it's IQ is outstanding, its color as well, the build, and the glass, the glass for this mature system is Heavenly!

If you back me into a corner and say I can only have one camera, it would be between my Rx1 and A7S with the 55mm Zeiss. The OMD is capable, and I have done many paid jobs with it. I just bonded with it, it felt right, when a camera becomes a extension of my brain and hands, that's when the magic happens.

I don't think I will ever go back to a DSLR (if the a99 mII has a 50 mp full frame sensor, I just might jump in) it is mirrorless for me. Sony for my full frame work and Olympus for my crop sensor work.

Here is a JPEG I shot some 4 years ago with the Olympus E-pl1, these type of files started my venture away from Canon, the E-pl1 has a 12mp sensor which is inferior to the 16mp Sony Sensor found in the OMD...

But it was shots like this that made me start to wonder why I was carrying big bulky DSLR's...

Fort Union, New Mexico.

Last edited by Lucille; Apr 16 2015 at 08:38 AM.

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and real world experience Lucille I was in no way saying the camera was not capable. Clearly with good glass and a good photographer, the camera is more than capable of producing stellar images. The lab tests is really the only way to find the small differences. I. This case, the larger sensor Nex-6 is better using similar glass. This has nothing to do with real world though, and more with pixel peeping..... Depth of field and 3d pop is more what I was referring to.

I highly respect your opinion and thanks a lot for sharing all the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not debating the 16mp APS-C sensor being better, I am debating the term 'dog' this unit. As it doesn't DOG it in real world shooting.

I may have a different definition of the term Dog.....

I have a 617 rwhp Whipple blown Camaro and a Twin turbo 2006 GTO. I often engage in street races and I tend to Dog other cars, which is really a one sided blowout of a rout.

Stellar glass was/is hard to come by for Sony E mount APS-C that is native unless one pays a grip for full frame glass, I find the 24mm Zeiss for APS-C to be disappointing, as I did the Sigma glass, which then in turn had me
    2nd guessing the sensor period. When I shot with the Nex 6 and the 3n I find these files need more work in post for me anywhere to get the look I want.

I am not debating the 16mp APS-C sensor being better, I am debating the term 'dog' this unit. As it doesn't DOG it in real world shooting.

I may have a different definition of the term Dog.....

I have a 617 rwhp Whipple blown Camaro and a Twin turbo 2006 GTO. I often engage in street races and I tend to Dog other cars, which is really a one sided blowout of a rout.

Stellar glass was/is hard to come by for Sony E mount APS-C that is native unless one pays a grip for full frame glass, I find the 24mm Zeiss for APS-C to be disappointing, as I did the Sigma glass, which then in turn had me
    2nd guessing the sensor period. When I shot with the Nex 6 and the 3n I find these files need more work in post for me anywhere to get the look I want.
    Sorry Lucille for using the harsh terminology. I used that term, because the Nex-6 is so much older and sounded good at the time. Clearly not a fair statement though, because they are very close in quality. Dog implies it sucks in comparison and that is not true! Real world with good glass is hard to tell for sure.

I find the Nex-6 jpeg files are better in color than the Olympus when using auto WB. Sometimes the skin tones are a bit yellow on the Sony cameras though, more than the Olympus I have noticed so far.

Fact is the 2x crop sensor has a different look to my eye. Perhaps the 4:3 format is also throwing my mind for a loop

Glass is critical to getting a good frame, and Olympus has some killer optics compared to Sony from what I can see so far, no question.

I rarely hear negatives about the 24mm Zeiss, as far as real world photography goes. Really sorry and surprised to hear that!

Thanks again for the reality check Lucille, and great photos

Jay

Blog Entries
    The Olympus was my first consideration when I decided to begin a mirrorless travel system. Anyone considering a mirrorless shouldn't overlook the features and available lenses that this system has to offer. I really like their 12-40mm f/2.8 and wish Sony would begin creating f/2.8 zoom lenses already, but I'm patient and know they are coming though.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

If the 24mm Zeiss is unused, I will happily pay the postage for you to send it to me in the UK
    I used to own stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcus View Post
    If the 24mm Zeiss is unused, I will happily pay the postage for you to send it to me in the UK
    Heh, it hasn't been used in over 2 years.. It become pointless when I got the Rx1, that 35mm is top of the line...

Really impressed with the IQ on this frame Lucille Much more 3d pop than I was expecting and the balance of processing with the colors is also excellent in my opinion. The forum gallery software takes a little of the color away unfortunately.

Here is another image that has outstanding color and clarity straight off the camera in jpeg mode.

For comparison, this is what I got out of the Sony Nex-3C which was the first Sony camera I got my hands on with 18-55mm kit lens. I was blown away at the IQ of this little camera let me tell you So, I totally get where you are coming from with the Olympus...

Name:  sony_nex-c3_hdr-1-600x403.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  DSC00095-600x398.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  33.7 KB

Next I got my hands on the Nex-5n and was even more impressed with the IQ!

Name:  040_111009_wedd-625x415.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  055_111022_wedd-625x415.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  023_111104_nex-5n-625x415.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  42.3 KB

Fact is, all the cameras with decent sensors and decent glass are capable of taking awesome images these days! You put a talented photog behind the wheel and watch out

Olympus looks like it is going to get a new sensor from Sony, so when this happens the IQ will go up another significant percentage I would say. In the real world this will only be noticed in High ISO and possible some dynamic range though I would guess...

Jay

I had the Nex 6 with the Zeiss 24mm and I never liked the files, they were good, but they didn't have 'that look' that
    I wanted, they always seemed flat. I still have the Nex 3n and that Zeiss 24mm, I am not a fan of this lens, the problem though was the Rx1 is so incredibly good it was ruining other cameras for me.
    Really? I still think that Zeiss 24 is about my favorite lens I've ever used. I am trying to decide on a 35 perspective option with AF and I am looking at a used RX1 (and I agree, the IQ is superb on the RX1, but my issue when I owned one was the poor AF in lower light), X100T, Ricoh GR, Zeiss 35/1.4 in FE mount, and I still think about the Zeiss 24/1.8 with my NEX 5N, which I'd upgrade to an A6000. I look back at my Zeiss 24 shots and I really like them - I think it's the best APS-C lens in Emount. Different strokes, I suppose.

Jay, that handheld shot for 1 second is amazing. Very impressive.
    Everyday Camera: Sony A7; 55mm f/1.8
    I am not interested in shooting new things I am interested to see things new. -Ernst Haas

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post
    Really? I still think that Zeiss 24 is about my favorite lens I've ever used. I am trying to decide on a 35 perspective option with AF and I am looking at a used RX1 (and I agree, the IQ is superb on the RX1, but my issue when I owned one was the poor AF in lower light), X100T, Ricoh GR, Zeiss 35/1.4 in FE mount, and I still think about the Zeiss 24/1.8 with my NEX 5N, which I'd upgrade to an A6000. I look back at my Zeiss 24 shots and I really like them - I think it's the best APS-C lens in Emount. Different strokes, I suppose.

Thanks for the comments Sean and I agree 1 second hand-held is amazing! Especially at 50mm effective...

On another note, I really don't have that much experience with the 24mm f/1.8 Lens, although I did have it for a while when I reviewed the Nex-7 years ago. I remember it was killer when I tested it back in the day, but it was so long ago... I really need to get it again for a proper review with Lab testing to see how the corners fair with the 24mp A6000. I also need to get the 50mm f/2.8 Touit lens, so it should be a fun next month!

The new Full frame lenses should also be coming in due time as they are re-leased

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by seanlancaster View Post

Yes the 24mm Zeiss for me with the Nex 3n and Nex 6 never had any Zeiss pop or color or contrast, I just never warmed up to it. The Rx1 IQ is so awesome to me, and that maybe helped spoil any chance the 24mm had with me.
    I read a lot about the Rx1's focusing issues in lowlight, yet I can honestly tell you, I never have a issue in lowlight, in fact it is my lowlight goto camera for concert shots. I use simple center single point, it focus perfectly fine for me
    in lowlight.

Again my opinion but if the 24mm Zeiss is the best for Sony in APS-C, then that is rather dismal, but maybe my issue is with the 16mp sensor in the 3N and Nex 6, I might think different if I tried it on a A6000.

Here is a product shot for a client with the OMD and the Leica 25mm f/1.4.

a portrait of my oldest son with the OMD and Leica 25mm f/1.4

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta with the OMD and the wonderful Olympus color signature.

Fantastic shots and image quality example Lucille! Using the Leica 35mm f/1.4 lens is almost like cheating though just kidding...

Thanks for sharing and again really awesome photos in all regards!

Jay

I set the color profile of the camera to vivid yesterday Lucile, thinking of that hot air balloon photo in particular Here it the result and I am very impressed for sure! I have a lot more real world sample photos now and the color is in particular impressive. Especially when a rainbow of different colors are int he scene. Clearly a different way of rendering than Sony does it, and I like it a lot as well!

I also added a few shots to the latest Photography Challenge that really show off some impressive color renderings I think....

Thanks again for sharing all the knowledge and highly valuable real world experience here Lucille! I greatly appreciatte it and am always looking to learn as much as possible when it comes to photography.

Best,
    Jay

I love Vivid and have used it a lot.!

I was honestly hoping that the Sony APS-C bodys would cause me to get rid of my OMD, but it just didn't happen for me, I think their will always be a place for micro 4/3rds in my gear bag.