Thread: Sony Alpha A7II to have 48MP High Res Mode with Firmware Update??

Question Sony Alpha A7II to have 48MP High Res Mode with Firmware Update??

Killer Sony rumor about the Sony Alpha A7II having a 48MP High Res Mode with Firmware Update?? Pretty cool I happen to have the OM-D EM-5 Mark II in hand currently eh? lol

I say this is great news and totally makes sense to offer this as an upgrade!

Rumor and photo courtesy of SonyAlphaRumors:

A source told me that Sony is testing a High Resolution mode that works just like on the Olympus E-M5II. The sensor takes multiple shots in slightly different positions moved by the stabilization system and then combines time in one High Res Picture. The source told me he saw it creating 48.9 MP images on the fly. Of course that features works fine when shooting still objects. The source doesn’t know yet if the tested feature will work as hoped by Sony. If yes than it could be introduced in a future firmware upgrade.

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Hardcore Member
    Guess a good question would be: Would the firmware upgrade be switchable?

Say I wanted to shoot some landscapes at this 48+MP upgrade, but later in the afternoon stop by the race track to shoot some Top Fuel dragster making runs at the standard 24MP..... Files would be huge for most software and probably require my 16M of RAM to be upgraded just to edit some simple stuff....but who is to say that a new computer shouldn't be in the future for people that can afford these new platforms anyway

Scott (still trying to save for the a7r) B

This would be a special mode Scott and not normal shooting That will still remain 24mp...

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

The key point here is that it's through a firmware update and not a new camera. : )!
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    The key point here is that it's through a firmware update and not a new camera. : )!
    Exactly! Now imagine a future A7000 that would come equipped with this feature also...

I wonder what extra requirements this puts on the optics IQ, i.e. is this just a marketing gimmick or can you see a real picture difference?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    Oh yeah!

I wonder what extra requirements this puts on the optics IQ, i.e. is this just a marketing gimmick or can you see a real picture difference?
    It's extra resolution, so that is measurable in the lab and not a gimick. Lenses shoiuld be fine if the sensor shift is already not an issue. the sensor is only moving thousands of and inch one way or another

Jay