Thread: Lenses for street photography using sonya6000 and how to turn off the focus bulb

Lenses for street photography using sonya6000 and how to turn off the focus bulb

Hi,
    I recently bought sony a6000 with kit lens SELP 1650 , and what other lenses good for street photography i have in mind for
    sony SAL135F18Z, sony SEL 1018 and FE 16-35mm which one would be best and how i turn off the focus bulb

Thanks

Simran

Welcome to the forum Simran!
    For street photography I would highly recommend Sigma Art series lenses for E mount; 19mm f2.8, 30mm f2.8, 60mm f2.8
    Great image quality in small affordable lens

Hi obelix,

Thanks very much for the quick reply but here in my place dealer doesn't sell sigma lenses am from India, so i am left with those 3 sony lenses choices sony SAL135F18Z, sony SEL 1018 and FE 16-35mm and how i turn off the focus bulb its very annoying while shooting sometimes it gets unwanted attention

Thanks

Simran

I would consider shopping online then? Non of those lens options are ideal for street. Out of the three I woul pic the 10-18mm lens though for sure the 135mm is for A-mount Sony cameras like tha a58 or a99.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

SAL135F18Z is A mount lens, so you would need adapter to use it on a6000. SEL1018 would be my choice for ultra wide lens, if you need one. FE 16-35mm is full frame lens.
    I would stick with 16-50 for a while, to see if you need wider angle or longer reach.
    Can you buy lenses on line, Amazon or DigitalRev?

To turn off AF assist light go to MENU=>Camera=>Page 3=>AF Illuminator change to Off
    Last edited by Obelix; Apr 9 2015 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Jay is to fast for me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    SAL135F18Z is A mount lens, so you would need adapter to use it on a6000. SEL1018 would be my choice for ultra wide lens, if you need one. FE 16-35mm is full frame lens.
    I would stick with 16-50 for a while, to see if you need wider angle or longer reach.
    Can you buy lenses on line, Amazon or DigitalRev?

To turn off AF assist light go to MENU=>Camera=>Page 3=>AF Illuminator change to Off
    Great minds think a like

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks very very much guys for the help one more problem am getting i love to shoot at evening and at night around 7-9pm what are the camera settings for it?

Following are the settings i am using for night shoot

Aperture Mode
    1. Spot metering
    2. Iso Auto
    3. Focus mode DMF
    4 DRO Auto
    5. Creative Style -Vivid
    6. Face recognition on

So is there anything wrong? in the setting what would be the daytime settings of the camera and evening to night time settings

and cant buy online i buy from the sony showroom here in my city dehra dun- india

Thanks again very very much for help

Simran

Hi there,

Yes i do need wide angle and bit zoom also

simran

I don't think there is anything wrong with those settings, they could work at night and day time.
    I never look at the settings as day or night. I always set for specific shot I'm trying to do.

Hi obelix,

Thanks very very much for quick reply so jay sir recommended 10-18mm lens , i need bit zoom also which would be the best wide zoom lens

Thanks

Simran

I wrote an article on the matter as well encase you missed it or ever get access to a better selection http://sonyalphalab.com/2015/02/best...t-photography/

Those settings do appear fine, although I often turn off DRO optimizer, because it makes noise more visible to the brightened shadow areas, especially when night shooting. I will also take the ISO off Auto if I need to raise or lower the shutter speed for some reason quickly. Vivid can be a bit much for skin tones, but often does a grteat job on certain subjects like street scenes

Jay