Thread: Hi from London, UK

Hi from London, UK

Hi,

I'm one of those nitwits who keeps buying gear instead of getting to know what I have and addressing the problems in my photography.

I'm embarrassed to mention all the systems I've been through - but here I am now with a Sony A7II, lots of M-mount lenses (Zeiss, Voigtländer, Konica, one Leica) and a Novoflex adaptor.

Let's hope I've learned my lesson and stick with this one! It's a beautiful little machine.

Look forward to sharing and learning from everyone.

Thanks and best wishes,

Nick

Hello Nick,
    Welcome to SonyAlphaLab.
    Good to have someone who likes to buy gadgets.

(To me, I also like to acquire new gadgets, although not really that much on camera gears.)
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Hardcore Member
    Always nice to have a new member. (Both my parents are from the UK--London and Worthing). I would imagine we all have experienced wanting the newest and best equipment. I have two ways to look at it. One is that you can "grow into" the hobby of photography learning all the complexity and quality of the more expensive stuff. Then again, here is another way:

Name:  8fc48cf9968c194daf018c6a56b19e38.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  33.5 KB

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Love that plaque... but must resist the temptation to get one!

Actually, I try to use as few controls and options on my cams as possible (to minimise brain overload).

My main problem isn't so much gear as post-processing. I'm not usually fazed by IT - I've been self-(un)employed for years and I've mostly managed my computers and programmes OK. But there's something about Lightroom's sheer number of sliders, with seemingly subjective effects changing in infinitesimal increments, that really throws me.

I can see the need for PP: I've understood that, even though I naively want to 'capture what I saw', cameras don't 'see' like the human eye and brain.

But the business of calibrating your lenses, white balance, monitor, before you even start... Just bought a new (second-hand), high-end monitor and calibration device, only to find it has a horrible green cast whenever I boot up, worse than when I did nothing. What's that all about!?

Still, mustn't be pathetic about it, and that's where forums and you wonderful, selfless fellow-enthusiasts come in!

All the best and thanks again,

Nick

Welcome to the forums Nick,

You wanted to resist GAS with a Sony A7II? Let me tip you like a cow into the dark side of the internet and completely contradict myself (as I shoot 80% of the time with a 50mm). First, recognize that your wallet is an evil that must be punished.

Acquiring gear is horrifically fun and enjoyable. The feel of fresh new metal and polished sand in your hands is unbeatable. What's more, is that you can use just about any piece of glass you'd like with 3-axis stabilization. Just buy the 20$ adapter on E-Bay and feel your heart jump for joy. When I look through the viewfinder to find a new viewing angle or more depth of field, I immediately rush towards my cat. This is the moment he's been licking for, glamour day. GAS is good because it promotes my healthy relationship with my cat.

Sometimes you won't even be able to get me out of the door with my camera unless you place a new toy in my hands. It encourages me to leave my dark slum of a home, as I only have two windows in my apartment. The woman? You won't see her sitting across the table from me, no sir. I'll have her sit to the side and take a picture of my gear opposite of me on the same table and then of the food I'm eating. I'm a lean mean gear acquiring machine.

Post often, shoot more.

- Pan
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Quote Originally Posted by NotOmegaYet View Post
    Hi,

I'm one of those nitwits who keeps buying gear instead of getting to know what I have and addressing the problems in my photography.

I'm embarrassed to mention all the systems I've been through - but here I am now with a Sony A7II, lots of M-mount lenses (Zeiss, Voigtländer, Konica, one Leica) and a Novoflex adaptor.

Let's hope I've learned my lesson and stick with this one! It's a beautiful little machine.

Look forward to sharing and learning from everyone.

Thanks and best wishes,

Nick
    Welcome Nick and great intro We have all been there at some point....

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Welcome Nick!
    All the past purchases haven't gone to waste...you can now use all those lenses with the newly acquired Sony A7ii!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only