Thread: Slow Flash Sync

Hardcore Member

Slow Flash Sync

Why does the a6000 have a flash sync speed of 1/160th? That seems awfully slow. My Canons sync at 1/250th.
    Comments and suggestions welcome but please do not modify my photographs

Sony a6000 with 1.8 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens, Canon 7D with 400 5.6 and 580 EX II flash with Better Beamer

I am not an expert on this, I can be wrong on this aspect. I will try my best to answer what I know.

The flash sync speed has to do with the design and the mechanics of how the sensor gets that fraction of a second of exposing time.
    (I will save the two curtain bit.) In short, in this case, A6000 is capable of having entire sensor area open (i.e. exposed to capture image) at the speed of 1/160 sec (for flash to fill the scene). If you wish to shoot at faster shutter speed with flash, you can. You will need an external HSS (high speed sync) flash, for example, Sony HVL-F60M or HVL-F43M. However, there are limitations when using HSS flash.

If flash sync speed is important to you, I would suggest you pay extra attention on specifications on your next camera purchase.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

It's a Sony thing.
    All 6 series (and lower) cameras are at sync speed of 1/160, you have to go up to 7 series for 1/250 sync speed

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    All 6 series (and lower) cameras are at sync speed of 1/160, you have to go up to 7 series for 1/250 sync speed
    Except A7R, which is only 1/160 sec.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Hardcore Member
    Thank you for that. The solution of course is an external flash with HSS but for now I prefer to keep things simple and as light weight as possible.
    Comments and suggestions welcome but please do not modify my photographs

Sony a6000 with 1.8 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens, Canon 7D with 400 5.6 and 580 EX II flash with Better Beamer