Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got new gear/gadget! Woo-hoo!

I just got new gear/gadget! Woo-hoo!

Got something new? What's better than getting excited by yourself? Tell us about it and we will share your joy.
    This is the thread for everybody to share his/her excitement of new gadgets.

The new purchase does not have to be camera related. A new tablet, TV, or even a new car can do. Actually, bought something old is also welcome.

Since we are into photography, a picture of the new purchase would be nice.

Let's show off.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Great idea

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Okay, I will get started.

After reading Jay's FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS lens review, I finally decided to get this lens.

Although not very wide, this is my first wide-angle lens.

It's pretty darn wide on a full frame camera and congrats on the new lens! Looking forward to some sample photos

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Congrats on the great buy Antony. Awaiting snaps.

Just ordered Sony 32GB SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 SD card for $14.99 on Amazon. 94 MB/s
    64 GB is $ 27.99, deal ends in 4 hrs.

Name:  28.01.15 - 1.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  152.7 KB

New toys make fun. Got a Wacom Intuos Pro M tablet three weeks ago. First hour using it made me think of the times when I started computing. But meanwhile I'm pretty good with it.
    The eye takes the picture, not the camera. (Gisèle Freund)
    My photostream on Flickriver
    ∞500px

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Name:  28.01.15 - 1.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  152.7 KB

New toys make fun. Got a Wacom Intuos Pro M tablet three weeks ago.
    Nice, been thinking about getting one for quite a while, but knowing that i can't even draw...

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Okay, I will get started.

After reading Jay's FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS lens review, I finally decided to get this lens.

Although not very wide, this is my first wide-angle lens.
    The lens has its ups and downs but overall it's a very solid piece of glass : )!! Grats on adding it to your arsenal!

New toys make fun. Got a Wacom Intuos Pro M tablet three weeks ago. First hour using it made me think of the times when I started computing. But meanwhile I'm pretty good with it.
    Good to hear that its working for you, tablets are sometimes hit or miss for people, but for those who start using it, they rarely let them go.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

These days, people like to do things as fast as they possibly can. I somehow decided to go other way round since I am getting old.
    New gadget: an ND filter with 10-stop.

What does "10-stop down" translate?
    According to my iOS app, (same condition and other settings)
    instead of just 1/250 second, this 10-stop ND-filter will require 4 seconds for the same exposure.
    Or a 0.5 second would become 8 minutes and 32 seconds.

This is going to be fun (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    These days, people like to do things as fast as they possibly can. I somehow decided to go other way round since I am getting old.
    New gadget: an ND filter with 10-stop.

What does "10-stop down" translate?
    According to my iOS app, (same condition and other settings)
    instead of just 1/250 second, this 10-stop ND-filter will require 4 seconds for the same exposure.
    Or a 0.5 second would become 8 minutes and 32 seconds.

This is going to be fun (I hope).
    I want one of these Antony and am happy to hear you got one! Those really cool super long exposure shots should be doable now with much more ease

10 minutes is a crazy long time!

Jay

I have this "kit" lens for a few weeks, and to be honest I quite like it.

I did not go out and buy this FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens (SEL2870), but it was part of the free bundle when I purchased the Sony A7 II. Took a while for it to arrive.

Despite this lens being the kit lens when A7 first released back in 2013 and not being the best lens in town, I don't see anything wrong with it. For one thing, it's not a prime and relatively lightweight. So I keep this lens on Sony A7 II most of the time. (The Sony FE24-70 F4 lens SEL2470Z is still on A7r, haven't taken it out for more than a year )

I agree the FE 28-70mm kit lens is not bad at all. Very similar to the aps-c 18-55mm kit lens in that regard I would say.

That is a killer product photo by the way Antony and I think I may try that lighting technique next time I do a turntable or something for drama!

Very nice effect, execution, photography So what lens did you use for this photo?

Thanks for sharing,

Jay

I know I am more into accessories than camera lenses.
    The Remote Commander I've been waiting for - Sony Remote Commander & IR Receiver Kit (RMT-VP1K) - has finally arrived, after a long long wait.

This Remote Commander & IR Receiver Kit (RMT-VP1K) was previously mentioned in this thread, it features:
    • Infra-red remote commander and receiver kit with multi terminal for better photo and video shoots
    • 360-degree all-round sensitivity to control the camera from any angle using the remote commander
    • Supports still images and movie recordings with shutter release, and other functions including record start/stop and zoom
    • Timecode reset for multi camera shooting in close proximity without interference from other remotes
    • Ability to control selected functions on some cameras with built-in infrared sensor
    • Clip stand supplied

Contents:

Requires two AAA batteries. Batteries not included.

As a matter of fact, upon first opportunity of preordering in Australia, I ordered and paid for two units. And it takes 3 days shy of 4 months waiting period. (My usual camera shop knows that I like to order "obscure" items.)

I wanted to try that unit out as well Antony Glad to see you have got it and can let us know how it works and what not...

Great photos and congrats on the new gear!

Jay

Just wanted to add this compatibility list for Sony Remote Commander & IR Receiver Kit (RMT-VP1K) . Really a good buy Antony .

Digital Camera :- DSC-HX90V

Handycam® Camcorder - 4K Handycam :- FDR-AXP35

Interchangeable Lens Camera - ILCA-77M2, ILCE-3500J , ILCE-6000/B , ILCE-7 , ILCE-7M2 , ILCE-7R ,ILCE-7S

Video Camera & Camcorder - Action Cam :- HDR-AZ1VR

So excited. I have to stay in the office for still three hours and cannot test it right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ∞500px

Quote Originally Posted by 7thwonder View Post
    Recently picked up an A7ii body
    and the following lenses-
    Minolta 50mm f1.7
    Minolta 28mm f.2.8
    Tokina 28mm f2.8
    Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4
    Minolta 35-70mm f3.5
    Minolta 80-200 f4.5
    Kiron 70-210 f4.5
    Tamron 80-210mm
    Only missing the E-mount to "X" mount adapters then! (or is that implied?)

Good "antique" collection; I guess the focal overlap/duplicates is due to buying a lot vs individual lenses?

Don't be shy to show us sample pictures...

Cheers,
    Last edited by leuius; May 20 2015 at 05:43 PM.
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

So excited. I have to stay in the office for still three hours and cannot test it right now.
    Congratulations. I was thinking about that lens, but I got busy and forgot about it. Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thwonder View Post
    Recently picked up an A7ii body
    and the following lenses-
    Minolta 50mm f1.7
    Minolta 28mm f.2.8
    Tokina 28mm f2.8
    Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4
    Minolta 35-70mm f3.5
    Minolta 80-200 f4.5
    Kiron 70-210 f4.5
    Tamron 80-210mm
    Interesting.
    I don't know much about old schooled lenses, but I noticed Minolta 28mm f.2.8 and Tokina 28mm f2.8 are sort of duplicated in terms of key specifications.

Nice additions everybody and I'm drooling over here

Jay

Something not photography related.

I got a sewing machine, actually my second sewing machine: Brother Innov-is NV-950 computerised sewing and embroidery machine (official Brother link).

Here's the story:
    Most people in Australia and New Zealand should've heard of FlyBuys loyalty program. (Basically, when you shop at participating stores, you get free points to redeem rewards.) Back in July 2013, I redeemed my FlyBuys points and got my first sewing machine (Brother LS-2125), it was a mechanic sewing machine. Not really a basic model, but not high end either. Since getting the first sewing machine, I enrolled myself to sewing classes, and I decided that I should get an embroidery machine. So I saved up the points and redeemed the machine.

To me, those two sewing machines are free to me. I did not pay for them, nor spent any extra than what I need to spend (on other things). As I always recommend my friends to shop with the credit card that gets the best rewards points. We all have our regular shoppings, bills, etc.

Sewing is fun! Embroidery is more fun!

Good for you Antony and I remember enjoying Sewing back in school. I really enjoyed it! A super powerful tool and the creativity options are endless!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy,

Jay

Thanks.

Back in high school, my high school did not teach sewing machine in Home Economics. I remember I made a scarf (knitting) and a teddy bear (hand-sewing with pre-printed material).

We made a "locker pocket" which was cool, because it taught us the concept of creating something inside out and then seeing the final product once you turn it back inside in. I never forgot that I can't remember what else we made, but that item required a decent amount of sewing machine work. It was also a lot of fun to learn how the thread weaves around the machine and actually turns into a stitch! Amazing in fact I thought at the time! I actually asked my Mom if we could get a sewing machine I remember...

As I was writing this a memory just came back from the deep archives I totally forgot about!

I did eventually end up getting a sewing machine Antony about 15 years ago when a family member passed away. It was a classic unit and really really nice! I got it working one day and made a few very simple "door socks" (I can't believe I forgot all about this..) The door sock is just a tube filled with rice or something similar to prevent the draft in the winter by doors and windows. It was a fun project, but I have since given the unit away due to limit space and strict anti- hoarding policy

Every once and a while I go into the fabric store to pick up material for a project or photography backdrop etc.. In the fabric store they have these awesome pattern making sewing machines and I think it's like the unit you have which works with a computer and so fourth... Very cool and it would be fun to make a custom T-Shirt with a quality stitched logo or something I bet!

Thanks again for sharing Antony and I hope this brings you many hours of joy,
    Jay

I just bought Nissin Di700A Flash Kit with Air 1 Commander, with Jay's link
    Check the Amazon and it was in stock only one left
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._detailpages00

Hardcore Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    I just bought Nissin Di700A Flash Kit with Air 1 Commander, with Jay's link
    Check the Amazon and it was in stock only one left
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._detailpages00
    Check the B & H site as they indicate that there is a $25 Nissin rebate for the kit. When pulling up the actual rebate form, the requirement is that it must be purchased through an authorized dealer of Nissin. I would assume that buying it direct from Nissin would qualify also. Anyway...you should have a shot at the $25 rebate though I do not get why Nissin does not advertise it on Amazon (?).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ps
    Gear: Sony A6000, Canon T5i, Zeiss 16mm-70mm, various Canon lenses, PS Elements, various Topaz plug ins.

Mike

This gear is actually not that new. But great fun anyway and works fine on my A7R. Asahi Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f3.5 with m42 screw mount. Bought the lens on eBay in Holland, the original lens hood I found in Austria.

IMG_1625
    by Walter Kampe, auf Flickr
    ∞500px

Quote Originally Posted by MWright222 View Post
    Check the B & H site as they indicate that there is a $25 Nissin rebate for the kit. When pulling up the actual rebate form, the requirement is that it must be purchased through an authorized dealer of Nissin. I would assume that buying it direct from Nissin would qualify also. Anyway...you should have a shot at the $25 rebate though I do not get why Nissin does not advertise it on Amazon (?).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ps
    Thanks, I checked B&H but it was not in stock. I will see if Amazon seller is authorized dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast