Thread: Sony A6000 Finder Sensor

Sony A6000 Finder Sensor

Hi, new here after shooting Nikon D3s but now really liking Sony gear. No longer interested in DSLRs due to the bulk so currently have a Sony HX400V and now a Sony A6000 and what a camera!

Just have a quick question about the finder sensor, is there any way to reduce the range or sensitivity of it? When flipping the rear screen to do low shots it keeps switching to find when I pull the camera in close. Also, when wearing a hi-vis jacket I have to hold my arms out straight otherwise it switches! lol

Is there a dedicated button (or can a custom function be used) like the HX400V to manually switch between the two instead?

Cheers

Hello,
    Welcome to Sony Alpha Lab.

Not that I am aware of. You can, if you prefer, set it to just use Viewfinder or Monitor.
    MENU -> (Custom Settings) -> [FINDER/MONITOR]
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Welcome to the forum arcticfire!
    I have same problem with my A6000, and it can't be adjusted.

No worries, cheers for the replies.

I found a way to reduce the sensitivity. Someone had posted it on FB a month or so ago. Get some good tape,

like duct tape or black electrical tape and cut a tiny piece and cover half the little sensor. I have exactly one

half of mine covered and it's the bottom half. You have to get it exactly half to have my results. I covered more

than that and it quit working entirely and less and it has no effect. It's real easy and cheap and you really don't

even notice it if you use black tape. I covered mine with silver duct tape. It's just a tiny sliver.

Quote Originally Posted by texascbx View Post
    I found a way to reduce the sensitivity. Someone had posted it on FB a month or so ago. Get some good tape,

like duct tape or black electrical tape and cut a tiny piece and cover half the little sensor. I have exactly one

half of mine covered and it's the bottom half. You have to get it exactly half to have my results. I covered more

than that and it quit working entirely and less and it has no effect. It's real easy and cheap and you really don't

even notice it if you use black tape. I covered mine with silver duct tape. It's just a tiny sliver.

This sounds to be at least worth trying...thanks for the advice!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

Nice one, I'll give that a bash also!

DONE!

Used a small piece of black electrical tape and covered the bottom half the sensor and now I don't have an issue with the screen switching to the viewfinder when the camera's monitor screen is flipped up and against my body.
    It took a couple of test tries, but once you get it "exactly" covering half of the sensor, then you are golden.

The only drawback to this, is the it seems to take a half second longer for it to switch from the monitor to the viewfinder...

Thanks texascbx!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only