Thread: Exif & "Program"

Hardcore Member

Exif & "Program"

I have Irfanview which shows a tremendous amount of exif data but doesn't indicate the camera program used to take the picture instead just saying "normal program" regardless. Is there another (easy to use) exif program that shows the camera program used?
    Comments and suggestions welcome but please do not modify my photographs

Sony a6000 with 1.8 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens, Canon 7D with 400 5.6 and 580 EX II flash with Better Beamer

Sony's PlayMemories Home.
    (download for Mac, download for Windows)
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Hardcore Member
    I have that program but have a heck of a time trying to navigate it. And for some reason it doesn't show any images I've downloaded to my computer this month.

Sony a6000 with 1.8 24mm Sony-Zeiss lens, Canon 7D with 400 5.6 and 580 EX II flash with Better Beamer

no use for play memories home

Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    I have that program but have a heck of a time trying to navigate it. And for some reason it doesn't show any images I've downloaded to my computer this month.
    Pitter, I've had nothing but frustration with the play memories program. So far installed it twice and uninstalled it. Installed it a second time, thinking I hadn't given it a decent chance. However, I find it very bloated and unintuitive. Love Sony cameras, but this software is not what I'd call a user friendly or useful app. Unfortunately, I don't have suggestion for another program. I actually upload most of my images that I like to Flickr, which seems to have a really good exif display, so I can go back later and review what I had used.

I do use the android version of play memories on my tablet and it's ok.

Willie

WSFB, or Willie just wrote my thoughts. All you really need from Sony software-wise are the appropriate drivers and firmware. Plus, the shovelware they foist is just that, and needlessly sucks RAM. /and it keeps getting de-featured. Sorry if I sound bitter, just BTDT.

FWIW, before I got Lightroom w/the a6000 bundle (in lieu of the standard lens, though I got the zoom; haven't figured LR out yet) I use the free Google Picasa (though I'm tired of the redirections to G+, nice as that is), and shareware/paid ThumbsPlus (Cerious) and Corel programs. HTH

What do you mean by 'shows the camera program', Pitter? And what platorm(s) do you use?
    Last edited by BrianC; Feb 17 2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    I don't use PlayMemories Home much myself. I use it mostly to update the GPS Assist data (for HX50V) so initial picking up of the location can be faster.
    If you have the directory/folder (where your photos are downloaded) added to the left pane, it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    I don't use PlayMemories Home much myself. I use it mostly to update the GPS Assist data (for HX50V) so initial picking up of the location can be faster.
    If you have the directory/folder (where your photos are downloaded) added to the left pane, it should work.
    Torture me with tales of updating GPS data. Still haven't managed to conveniently marry my a6000 with my Garmin 64s. Whatever your opinions of arranged marriages might be. *sigh

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Still haven't managed to conveniently marry my a6000 with my Garmin 64s.
    Can Garmin 64s export GPX or NMEA track log file?
    Does Garmin 64s pick up GPS location fast?
    I am still using Sony GPS-CS1KASP then sync in HoudahGeo for cameras without GPS built-in.

An honest question here.
    What is that Date used for ?
    I have seen it been talked about but apart from that I have got no idea what it is used for.
    And to that is it important to have ?
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Badhands View Post
    What is that Date used for ?
    It depends.
    Some wants to know what was the settings used for the particular photo (usually the aperture, shutter speed and ISO values). To me, I generally don't really care about the settings when I look at photos, but I am more interested in the date and location (GPS information) added to it.

Pitter asked for applications showing which mode he used (P, A, S, M etc), and not many applications focused on this this particular part of information.

So back to Pitter, Adobe Bridge can be used for this. It might show a lot more than necessary, however, all values can be turned off in Preferences.

Thanks Antony, I think I must be like you then as I rather look at the shot and make my judgment.
    But just because I don't worry about it doesn't mean others should.
    Thanks once again for filling me in on this.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

Hardcore Member
    When I said camera "program" I should have said "mode" and platform is windows. Actually I was a bit mistaken. When I shoot in manual mode Irfanview does indicate "manual control" however when shot with intelligent auto Irfanview calls it "normal program". Antony thanks for mentioning Adobe Bridge. I took a look at download options but am a little confused. They all seem to be associated with Adobe CS series post processing programs which I don't have. Maybe there is a stand alone program like Irfanview that would show all the camera modes.

I'm surprised but relieved that others share my frustration with "memories". Relieved because I thought I was just a dolt.

Sorry, it skipped my head, as Adobe Bridge is free to Adobe Photoshop or Adobe CC users, and I sort of assumed you had it already. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Can Garmin 64s export GPX or NMEA track log file?
    Does Garmin 64s pick up GPS location fast?
    I am still using Sony GPS-CS1KASP then sync in HoudahGeo for cameras without GPS built-in.
    Sorry, just found this again... To answer your questions, Antony, the Garmin 64s does indeed pick up the location, very fast. This is in large part due to the fact that it uses the Russian GLONASS system as well as the American WAAS, so there are twice+ as many satellites to get a lock from. Unfortunately, Garmin is almost Apple-like with their proprietary systems, and although there may be a way to extract tracks as GPX/NMEA files, it would have to be with a program other than the native MapSource or BaseCamp. My old(er) DeLorme PN-60 exports tracks easily, but at present I'm just using the Garmin since it is better at almost everything else (including holding a quarter of a million geocaches and their associated data -- they claim it is unlimited except by SD card capacity, but 250K ship on the unit). I did discover that the newly updated version of BaseCamp will geotag photos, but I haven't got that to work yet. I think I have to get the time on the GPSr and camera synced more closely...
    BrianC a.k.a. cougarox
    Constructive criticism welcome

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Current gear: Sony a6000, SEL55210, Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter; Garmin GPSMap 64S
    Old glass in use:
    Minolta MD 28/2.8, Rokkor-X 35-70/3.5, Rokkor-X 50/1.4, Rokkor-X 135/2.8, MD 100-200/5.6
    Vivitar 17/3.5, Series 1 90/2.5 macro