Thread: Sony A6000 Battery Grip

Sony A6000 Battery Grip

Looks like Neewer is now selling a vertical battery grip for the A6000.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Control-Battery-NP-FW50/dp/B00RJTCAJ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422436682&sr =1-2&keywords=Sony+A6000+battery+grip

I wished this was out when I went on my trip to DisneyWorld...would have been an ideal accessory.
    The only issue for me would be that there doesn't seem to be any electronic connection between the A6000 and battery grip, so an external cable is required to use the shutter button/IR function.

Any comments on this?

Last edited by dragion; Feb 13 2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

Just purchased one off of eBay for $35.08 using my "expiring" eBucks balance.
    I will leave feedback when I receive it from Hong Kong in about a month from now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...id%3D100282%26

I would like to know your thoughts.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Thank you for pointing out.

My first thought: it's ugly.

I am not a big fan of Vertical Grip, although I did buy one for A7r, I took it off after two months trial. (Okay, my main reason for getting Vertical Grip was simple: I was shooting among 4-5 Canon 5D Mark III cameras in a small class.)

If you shoot quite a fair bit of vertical/portrait shots, or battery constantly running out. By all means. However, camera without vertical grip is always easier to carry.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Awesome find and for the money I think it's a killer deal worth trying out atleast I don't think it's that ugly either, but could be a bit more refined I suppose. For only $50 US though, it's pretty darn sharp!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

@Draigon: Seeing as how Sony doesn't make an official a6000 grip, I think it looks fine for a knock off, and at $50? Take it and run with it, literally. I go running with my camera on occasion, rain & snow. With the a6000/a7 grips being so small, the extra grip, feels safer in hand.
    Sometimes I still find myself elbow up for portrait shots from habit. While it's not ideal because I don't need to do it anymore, it doesn't feel bad. My supporting hand has more base to hold the camera. Enjoy what ya have. ; )
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

My mini-review...

I receive the Neewer Battery Grip for the A6000 today.

Here are my thoughts...

I find the quality not as solid as the previous Meike/Neewer battery grips for my Nikon DSLR's, but still nothing to really complain about.
    I think it might be that the grip is so much lighter, it gives the "appearance" that the quality isn't the same.
    It has a "hollow" feeling...even with 2 batteries inside.
    I wished that the grip had the same "rubbery" material as the A6000 instead of just the "slippery" plastic.
    This could also be the reason why it feels less quality.

At least the tightening wheel doesn't rattle anymore.

The fitment isn't perfect and could have been better...if Sony had an OEM battery grip, then I would think that the aftermarket/copies would be more precise.
    I do have an issue...the bottom right of the A6000's screen is slightly catching the edge of the grip where they make contact.
    Plus, the screen cannot tilt down as far for over-head shots.

The connecting cable for the vertical shutter button to function isn't too bad, since its length is just about right.
    This does allow half-press AF function to work too.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the product.

Here are a few pics of the grip (mini~unboxing)...

Exterior Mailing Package
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Mailing Label
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Exterior Packaging
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Look Inside
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Contents
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Rear
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Leftside
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Front
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Rightside with Battery Connector Detached
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Bottom
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

IR
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

^ This last photo was taken via the vertical grips AF shutter button.

I will continue this mini review on my next post, due to the limit of photos allowed.
    Last edited by dragion; Feb 11 2015 at 08:10 PM.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

My mini-review...part II

The mini-review continues...

These following photos are of the Neewer Battery Grip attached to the Sony A6000.
    They contain both with and without the Sony SELP18105G attached.

Please forgive the quality of the pics, since they were taken with the Sony Xperia Z3.
    I converted them to B/W in LR5 for better seperation.

A6000 Front
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Left
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Rear
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Right
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Front 2
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Front w/o Lens
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Right w/o Lens
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Rear
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

A6000 Left w/o Lens
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Please let me know your thoughts...
    Any feedback/comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dragion; Feb 11 2015 at 08:09 PM.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Quote Originally Posted by dragion View Post
    Looks like Neweer is now selling a vertical battery grip for the A6000.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Control-Battery-NP-FW50/dp/B00RJTCAJ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422436682&sr =1-2&keywords=Sony+A6000+battery+grip

I wished this was out when I went on my trip to DisneyWorld...would have been an ideal accessory.
    The only issue for me would be that there doesn't seem to be any electronic connection between the A6000 and battery grip, so an external cable is required to use the shutter button/IR function.

Any comments on this?

Thanks Jay for fixing the attached photo!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I guess no "love" for this vertical grip?

I would like to know your thoughts on this...
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

For me to consider this grip it would have to be wireless and have built in Arca-Swiss mount at the bottom. It just looks too big and clumsy for one extra battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    For me to consider this grip it would have to be wireless and have built in Arca-Swiss mount at the bottom. It just looks too big and clumsy for one extra battery.
    Obelix~
    Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Wireless and Arca-Swiss mount would be an excellent addition, but given the price of this grip compared to the Ownuser which doesn't have either those features I think that it is a good option.
    A vertical battery grip isn't only for extended battery life, but the convenience to shoot in vertical mode with the additional shutter button.

I do agree that the size could be a bit on the smaller size.
    I too wished that it didn't require a physical cable to operate the vertical shutter button function.
    It could have been better if it had some sort of non-slip material like their other battery grips.

More comments...
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it was;
    a) smaller, it looks like there is lots of empty space inside the grip
    b) wireless, I don't see how would they get around this as A6000 was not designed to be used with grip
    c) better quality and fit, I work in quality and I would reject it for gaps around the bottom of the camera. I use their L bracket and it is much better fit
    d) Arca-Swiss mount, in my opinion this should be incorporated in all grips and half cases
    e) I would pay premium for grip to be just one big battery, that size battery could last for 2000 shots

I think battery grips are well worth the money. Just one little point on them when using them, it makes it look like you know what you are doing.
    But I got the battery grip with the A77 and the battery lid slides into the grip, which is way better than the the Nikon of Canon.
    It hold 2 batteries so it gives you much longer time to be out and about.

This a6000 one looks to be a little more clumsy with the need to attach with the cable.
    So for me I not sure if I would like that as at times I seem to be only thumbs so I am sure I would pull it out here and there.
    But I like the idea of these and I am sure after a while all will work out so well.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony a77 with 18/55mm lens
    Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    Sony DT 55/200
    Sigma DG 70/300 lens with Macro button

Tamron 150-600 f5.6-6.3 Di USD

Plus some Filters

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if it was;
    a) smaller, it looks like there is lots of empty space inside the grip
    b) wireless, I don't see how would they get around this as A6000 was not designed to be used with grip
    c) better quality and fit, I work in quality and I would reject it for gaps around the bottom of the camera. I use their L bracket and it is much better fit
    d) Arca-Swiss mount, in my opinion this should be incorporated in all grips and half cases
    e) I would pay premium for grip to be just one big battery, that size battery could last for 2000 shots
    I would agree on all accounts.

As for the "empty space"...this incorporates holding 2 NP-FW50 batteries and the built in IR sensor.
    I think the design intent was to make sure there was enough space when using in vertical mode...just my guess.

The gaps and fitment are definitely something they need to address...poor R&D on their part.
    The actual quality/material isn't too bad, considering the cost...similar to other aftermarket battery grips.

As mentioned being Arca-Swiss compatible would be a plus, but majority of the battery grips do not have that feature.
    If this was the case, it would reflect the sale of the L bracket market.

I think a larger battery would be required to be specially designed to fit the grip and probably take "forever" to fully charge.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I think a larger battery would be required to be specially designed to fit the grip and probably take "forever" to fully charge.
    What I was talking about is one big battery in the shape of the grip, plug it in over night and you are good for a week

The gaps and fitment are definitely something they need to address...poor R&D on their part.
    It looks like it was designed for A7 series and just retrofitted for A6000

A6000 grip
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr
    Last edited by Obelix; Feb 14 2015 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhands View Post
    I think battery grips are well worth the money. Just one little point on them when using them, it makes it look like you know what you are doing.
    But I got the battery grip with the A77 and the battery lid slides into the grip, which is way better than the the Nikon of Canon.
    It hold 2 batteries so it gives you much longer time to be out and about.

This a6000 one looks to be a little more clumsy with the need to attach with the cable.
    So for me I not sure if I would like that as at times I seem to be only thumbs so I am sure I would pull it out here and there.
    But I like the idea of these and I am sure after a while all will work out so well.

I too find that a vertical battery grip is a plus.
    It does make that entry level camera appear as if it was a top of the line model, due to the larger size and the ability to hold it and shoot vertically.

The Neewer battery grip has a similar design as your A77...2 batteries are connected on a tray that slides into the battery grip.
    My Nikon's versions were the same, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by better.

I agree that the connecting cable can be an issue if it gets "snagged" or pulled out by accident.
    I would like to note that the cable is well connected and pretty snug.
    I don't find it in the way at all while shooting.
    My Meike battery grip was the same, but the cable was longer and wasn't as tightly connected.
    I decided not to connect the cable and ended up not using the vertical shutter feature.
    The benefit of the extended battery life and larger handling area was good enough for me.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

What I was talking about is one big battery in the shape of the grip, plug it in over night and you are good for a week
    That would be ideal!

It looks like it was designed for A7 series and just retrofitted for A6000

A6000 grip
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I received it.
    The design is almost an exact match compared to the Sony A7's OEM battery grip...except for a couple function switches that were omitted.
    Too bad the A6000 doesn't have the electronic connections like the A7, then it would benefit with the additional functionality.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Dragion what I mean by better is that with mine as I can really only talk about that.
    But my friend has a Canon camera D5 or something like that, I know it is one of the top line ones for us weekender photographers.
    But he told me he has to take the battery lid right off the camera to put his battery grip on.
    I know its not that much but I feel if you took it off a few times for what ever reason I know I would end up breaking it.
    I think he told me that Nikon camera's are the same.
    While Sony done some thinking and made a space for the battery lid to side into the battery grip.
    This is what I mean better.
    CC is always welcome, the good and the bad. I promise not to take it personal as I know it wasn't meant that way.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Dragion what I mean by better is that with mine as I can really only talk about that.
    But my friend has a Canon camera D5 or something like that, I know it is one of the top line ones for us weekender photographers.
    But he told me he has to take the battery lid right off the camera to put his battery grip on.
    I know its not that much but I feel if you took it off a few times for what ever reason I know I would end up breaking it.
    I think he told me that Nikon camera's are the same.
    While Sony done some thinking and made a space for the battery lid to side into the battery grip.
    This is what I mean better.
    I'm sorry, but still quite confused.
    Are you referring to the removal of the battery "door" in order to attach the battery grip?
    AFAIK, both Canon & Nikon does have a place to insert the door once removed on the battery grip...just like Sony's.

With this Neewer battery grip, the door of the A6000 doesn't require to be removed, due to the cut out/pass through on the door.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Yer I mean the taking off that door lid or what ever it is called.
    As I know I would break it over time if I had to do that.
    Hope this helps on what I am on about.

Just had another read of your's and you mentioned that you have to take it off and then there is a place on the grip to put it.
    But with mine I open the door/lid and it slides into a slot made for it.
    Without out the need to remove it completely.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Yer I mean the taking off that door lid or what ever it is called.
    As I know I would break it over time if I had to do that.
    Hope this helps on what I am on about.

Just had another read of your's and you mentioned that you have to take it off and then there is a place on the grip to put it.
    But with mine I open the door/lid and it slides into a slot made for it.
    Without out the need to remove it completely.

I was just saying that both Canon and Nikon's battery grips that require the removal of the battery door, there is a place to insert it on the grip itself.
    I personally don't have any experience with Canon's, but both of my Nikon's grips did have the section for the removed door on the battery grip.

With the A6000 the battery door does not require to be removed.
    There is a rubber covered pass thru section on the battery door where the grip's battery connector attaches to the grip.
    The battery connector goes inside where the usual battery would be and the contact of the connector goes through the pass thru on the battery door by sliding off the rubber piece.
    The bottom section of the grip which contains the 2 batteries connects to the protruding contacts on the connector and attaches to the A6000 via the tripod screw mount.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I am not sure if you are angry at me or not with your reply.
    If I have got you angry it wasn't my intentions.

As my point was just that if it was me and I had a camera that I had to take the battery cover thing off, I would more than likely break it as I get too heavy handed at times.

But on my camera the grip does the same thing open the battery compartment take the battery out.
    Slide the grip into the battery space screw it in where the tripod screw section is.
    Then place your 2 batteries onto the tray slid it in and away you go.
    As you have got a place still for your tripod, but its just a little higher now.

So I hope I have not got you angry with me. As I am agreeing with you as these are the same wiht both your camera and mine.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

No, no...of course not!

I am not sure if you are angry at me or not with your reply.
    If I have got you angry it wasn't my intentions.

As my point was just that if it was me and I had a camera that I had to take the battery cover thing off, I would more than likely break it as I get too heavy handed at times.

But on my camera the grip does the same thing open the battery compartment take the battery out.
    Slide the grip into the battery space screw it in where the tripod screw section is.
    Then place your 2 batteries onto the tray slid it in and away you go.
    As you have got a place still for your tripod, but its just a little higher now.

So I hope I have not got you angry with me. As I am agreeing with you as these are the same wiht both your camera and mine.
    Oh, I'm sorry if I came off as being angry
    Trust me, I'm not at all.
    I was just explaining from my own experience what I know regarding battery vertical grips.
    Actually, the removal of the battery door is very simple...it is usually only spring loaded and with just a slight push or pull, the door comes right off.
    At least if you ever decide to buy an A6000 and vertical battery grip, you won't have to worry about removing the battery door
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I found this video on YouTube...anyone here make it?

Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

Interesting video on that. On my A77 one it has all the buttons and joystick on the battery pack and all I have to do to use them is to switch on the actual battery pack.
    If I chose not to turn it on it will just use the 1st battery up then move to the next one.
    But this gives you a lot longer to stay out to get the just right shot if needed.
    But mine does not have the USB connector so you can charge it that way.
    Though going by the video you have to take the pack off the camera, so I would more than likely take the tray out and charge them one at a time.
    Seeing the cable connector I looked at it and rethought that just maybe it might be okay for me but I am that name for a reason.
    So I would hate to bugger up the connectors if it was mine.
    And I am so glad we are all good to.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Question to all those grip owners. From a shot count view only, is the grip worth it?
    In other words does this grip give increased shot count from both batteries and if so is it worth it.

ALSO, It's pretty apparent by looking at it that you won't be able to mount the LAEA2 or LAEA4 with this grip already on. But i wonder if the LAEA1 and LAEA3 will mount without obstruction?
    Last edited by OldNoob; Aug 15 2015 at 01:48 PM.
    a6300, a6000 , x700 wMD-1, Pentax k30, a580, a560 , a100 (stollen), 650si Date, 9000+MD90/BP90, XG-M, srTmcII,Nikon EM, Nikon N80, Hanimex Practica, Konica AutoreflexA, Ricoh KR5 super
    Peacock Designs

I will say if I was to use my a77 on a everyday for say an hour I might get a week give or take a little.
    This is with the camera as itself so only one battery can be used.
    Place on the Grip and I can go easily over 3 weeks.
    This time can be lower if I use the controls on the grip, but I rather use the control on the camera itself.
    So on that using the controls on the grip I don't know the time for that sorry.
    For me I would go battery grip from now on.
    I have only had one problem with it which was the camera wasn't reading the grip.
    But it sorted itself out and been going strong ever since.
    I hope this helps a little.

Sony DT 2.8/30 Macro
    Sony DT 55/200

Plus some Filters

Just purchased one off of eBay for $35.08 using my "expiring" eBucks balance.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab E cover
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 cover
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 cover
    Last edited by Alixtrol; Sep 8 2015 at 11:29 PM.