Thread: Winter Protection

Winter Protection

Hi Guys

I am planning a trip to Norway in Feb. Obviously an idilic setting to get some great pictures. My only concern is my gear getting damaged in the cold.

Would anyone suggest any specific protection for my gear from the cold and wet? I see some products out there but hoping someone has first hand experience in temperatures so low.

Cheers
    Adam.

That is great question Adam and I honestly have no experience with anything designed specifically for cold weather and photography. I know several members shoot in the freezing cold though, so I'm sure they will chime in with some thoughts on the matter

Welcome to the forums,

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Have seen lots of silicone skins for canon and nikon!

I live in Wisconsin and lowest temp I shot at was -10 F (-23.3 C) and didn't have problem with camera, couldn't stay outside for to long
    Only problem is batteries, they don't last to long in cold weather. Take spare batteries and keep them in your inside pockets, closer to your body heat the better.

Great tip thanks obelix I will do that.

This is how Lake Michigan looks at -14 F air temp.

1-6-14-7
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

1-6-14-2
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr
    Last edited by Obelix; Jan 20 2015 at 01:52 PM.

I was wrong, temp was -14

Condensation prevention

Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    I live in Wisconsin and lowest temp I shot at was -10 F (-23.3 C) and didn't have problem with camera, couldn't stay outside for to long
    Only problem is batteries, they don't last to long in cold weather. Take spare batteries and keep them in your inside pockets, closer to your body heat the better.
    I live in Montreal and recently took pictures outside at -32C and the camera (A6000) behaved normally. Camera shake increased but that was me freezing my hands off

The one suggestion I have is to take a plastic bag outside with you. Once your camera temperature has dropped, you will notice that condensation will form all over when you bring it inside. To prevent this, store the camera in the plastic bag while you are outside (i.e. cold air in the bag). Seal the bag and then take your equipment inside. Condensation will form on the plastic bag while the inside of the bag warms up more slowly.

My $0.02
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

This is how Lake Michigan looks at -10 F air temp.
    Very nice scenes... you know it's cold when the water steams like this. Typically quite likely to have black ice on the adjacent roads too... I had a car do a 180 degree rotation right in front of me for no apparent reason on a bridge on-ramp last week in similar circumstances. Everybody was able to slow down (don't touch the brakes) and steer to avoid the unlucky driver. He probably gave a bit too much on the accelerator. Hate that stuff...

Regards,

I believe the operating temperature is from 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F), so you guys have been using the camera outside the designed range?
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

This is how Lake Michigan looks at -10 F air temp.

1-6-14-7
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr

1-6-14-2
    by Dalibor M, on Flickr
    Holy Cold Batman!! Great frames

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    I believe the operating temperature is from 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F), so you guys have been using the camera outside the designed range?
    If I used it in that range I wouldn't shoot outside from November to April 32 F is above the average day in winter months.

+1 to Obelisk's post about battery life. They will drain when cold, it doesn't even need to be on or used at all. Popping in a fresh dead battery from your backpack is a horrible feeling. So keeping them on you is the best solution.

When it's snowing/raining I avoid using non-weather sealed lenses. I've shot in pretty harsh rain several times and it holds up well... the camera will do fine and last as long as your batteries do, take care of your body. Your camera, tripod, and your shutter button will feel like ice. The most important thing you can do is to get some quality gloves and keep warm. Something to shield your face from the freezing cold. Maybe a Q-tip or two incase condensation gets in your viewfinder, one breath on the sensor is all it takes. Dress for success.

Edit: I noticed you didn't post your camera model though, and A77, A99, A7, A7mII, and A7r are weather sealed.
    Last edited by Panza; Jan 20 2015 at 10:23 AM.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Thanks for the responses and great images made me cold looking at them. Great tip on the plastic bag and q tips cheers guys. Mine is a a58 so not really weather tight. I have seen some good silicone "skins" which i may look at for general protection from my being clumsy when its out the case. May also get a rain cover just in case. May also re-treat my bag with chemicals just to make sure that is resistant too. Got the gloves so hopefully they stand up to the task!

These are the best gloves I ever did see

Jay

Consider you guys lucky, it seems the camera still works below 0°C.
    Unfortunately, temperature can go above 40°C easily in some parts of Australia. If the camera or flash is overheated, it simply won't work at all.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Unfortunately, temperature can go above 40°C easily in some parts of Australia. If the camera or flash is overheated, it simply won't work at all.
    Well then I have been lucky for a few decades As per Obelix, the weather around here dips below freezing about 6 months per year. It can stay at -20C for weeks at this time of year. As I write this it's -25C and I just spent about 20 minutes outside shooting with an A6000. So far this camera has been reliable for everything I have thrown at it. The 0-40C range is probably a CYA spec from the manufacturer. If this was a real limitation, an awful lot of people would be without a camera.

With previous more compact models (Sony and Panasonic), I have spent entire winter afternoons outside (skating, sliding, etc) with no adverse effect. I keep the camera in a case in my coat pocket when not in use. Batteries do drain faster. Only once did the lens cover iris malfunctioned. I used my finger to push it aside and that was the end of that.

We are working at opposite sides of the scale (and opposite sides of the planet)... no overheating problem here, except during heat waves a few weeks per year in the summer.

Cheers,

Actually sensor/electronics perform better in cold weather, less heat build up=less noise.
    Only problem from cold weather you could see is lubricant on shutter/aperture mechanism will get "thicker", and shutter/aperture could stick once in a while.