Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAL Photography Challenge #2 - Night Photography

SAL Photography Challenge #2 - Night Photography

SAL Photography Challenge #2 - Night Photography

- These next two months should be great for some Night Photography!

Tri-pods will mostly likely be required for most photos unless you are using really high ISO. This is a great opportunity to try out some streaking taillight type shots, or some really long exposure's with water, or even star trails perhaps?? What ever you want to do at night is up to you, but they must be new photos and please include all the shooting information such as camera settings, shutter speed, tri-pod used and so fourth..

Here one to kick things off

Thanks for participating and see you in the challenge!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

I think with all these fast lenses, stabilisation and great Hi-ISO performance, its easier than ever to take photos at night. Even tripods are much smaller and lighter now, not everyone need an full sized tripod anymore.
    Hope take some shots next weekend

Hardcore Member
    Christmas lights, time change...yup, it'll be dark!

Scott (ND filter not needed) B

pumpkinfest - a little late

Here's a night series from Halloween week - a little late, but was out of town most of last week & just had a chance to review what I shot. All except the B&W were ISO 3200 - black and white was ISO 1600. Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by punkstrut View Post
    Here is my picture
    Nice job and thanks for sharing Great lighting, reflection, and composition! For a tip, try to keep an eye on the verticals. The are normally strait up and down, so when they are not the eye tends to notice and the head will turn to compensate.

Thanks again for sharing and lets see some more efforts!!

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Quote Originally Posted by wilmeland View Post
    Here's a night series from Halloween week - a little late, but was out of town most of last week & just had a chance to review what I shot. All except the B&W were ISO 3200 - black and white was ISO 1600. Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS kit lens.
    Excellent series Wilmeland and thanks for sharing! Colors are popping and gatta love that kit lens

Jay

It's a good time for night photography, by the time I'm out of work it's golden hour. By the time I'm out of traffic, it's night.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Halloween night

Going around the neighborhood on Halloween evening.

Hand-held, unprocessed picture but I reduced the resolution for upload. Taken on A6000 with a Minolta Rokkor-X 24mm/f2.8 MD lens (36mm equivalent), which is a nice and very sharp little lens. The camera was set at 1/80s and the aperture was set approximately at f4.0; auto-ISO did the rest.

Name:  DSC07223-reduced.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  66.9 KB
    Stef (leuius is latin for more light)
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    (Adapted to E-mount from SR | C/Y | AD2 | M42 lenses)
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0
    * Pentax: 50mm/1.4 * Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm * Soligor: 85-205mm/3.8

Path to nowhere

This next one is a bit strange and deserves an explanation.

The location is the service road besides one of Montreal's busiest (elevated) highway. Someone thought it would be a good idea to have a pedestrian crossing right besides an off-ramp. Notice that the markings lead directly into a wall. I always thought this was the weirdest, not to mention unsafest, place anyone would want to cross this busy road. Lighting was provided by oncoming traffic, a bit of fun to time right.

Taken hand-held using a Minolta classic Rokkor-X 24mm/f2.8 MD lens on an A6000 (36mm equivalent considering the crop factor). Exposure was set at 1/80s at about f5.6 with auto-ISO. Image is unprocessed but resolution was reduced for upload.

Name:  DSC07253-reduced.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  195.4 KB

Thanks for watching.
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)
    * Sony: 16-50mm | 16-70mm/4.0 | 55mm/1.8 | 55-210mm * Samyang: 12mm/2.0 * Trioplan 50/2.9
    * Minolta: 24mm/2.8 | 45mm/2.0 | 50mm/1.4/1.7/2.0 | 85mm/2.0 | 135mm/2.8/3.5 | 35-105mm
    * Tamron: 28mm/2.5 | SP 90mm/2.8 macro | SP 35-80mm * Tokina: RMC 500mm/8.0 | ATX 100-300mm/4.0

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    This next one is a bit strange and deserves an explanation.

The location is the service road besides one of Montreal's busiest (elevated) highway. Someone thought it would be a good idea to have a pedestrian crossing right besides an off-ramp. Notice that the markings lead directly into a wall. I always thought this was the weirdest, not to mention unsafest, place anyone would want to cross this busy road. Lighting was provided by oncoming traffic, a bit of fun to time right.

Taken hand-held using a Minolta classic Rokkor-X 24mm/f2.8 MD lens on an A6000 (36mm equivalent considering the crop factor). Exposure was set at 1/80s at about f5.6 with auto-ISO. Image is unprocessed but resolution was reduced for upload.

Thanks for watching.
    Yikes this crossing has "at your own risk" written all over it. Good shot - a lot of detail for those lighting conditions.

Middle of the night

Of course, no night collection can be complete without the moon, here overhead in a partly cloudy sky. I had to bump up the contrast on this shot quite a bit as it was very dark. This raises the city and moon glow. Taken yesterday, hand-held using an old but reliable Minolta Rokkor-X 24mm/f2.8 fully open on an A6000.

Name:  DSC07455.AL3-reduced.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  91.8 KB

The following is a few weeks old. If the weather can cooperate, I'll get my 500mm lens out and try to snap our favorite satellite before the snow hits. In the meantime, this was taken with the Sony 55-210 E-mount on my A6000. Obviously cropped because at 300mm equivalent the moon is not that large in the frame. Hand-held so pretty happy with the lens stabilization. Details vary a lot based on how high the moon is in the sky, the humidity and winds, etc. Results can be unpredictable unless one is willing and able to take many images and "stack" them in a computer. I haven't mastered that art yet...

Name:  DSC05852.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  94.3 KB
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)

Really nice job guys!! Having a hard time getting out myself, but soon enough

Jay

You guys are slackin' on your challenge shots! Here's some inspiration to get you guys going. I had a busy day at work today so to unstress myself, I took a long walk around the city. Armed with a lightweight monopod (sunpak pro carbon fiber) in my pocket, I took some sunset pictures until the sky became dark enough for some real night photos. Awkwardly enough for me, Lowell lights up and places Christmas decoration the weekday after Halloween. Go figure.

Lowell Mills Sunset 3
    by Pan Shawn
    f/16.0, shutter speed 2 seconds (monopod), iso 50

Lowell Brewed Awakening
    by Pan Shawn
    f/1.8, shutter speed 1/60 (handheld), iso 1000
    Extremely happy with the clarity and sharpness of the 55mm Zeiss here. If you zoom in, you can count the numbers of the dart board. A rule of thumb I generally use is no hand held shots faster than 1/60 (unless I'm panning). I waited for someone to come in through the door to take the shot. I get odd looks often, but it's worth it.

Lowell Central St
    by Pan Shawn
    f/8.0, shutter speed 10 seconds (monopod), iso 50
    I'm particularly proud of this one because I had a real hard time holding the monopod still for 10 seconds. I was backed up against a road sign in the middle of a barrier for several minutes crouching down waiting for a good slew of cars to zoom by.

Happy huntings to you all.

- Pan
    Last edited by Panza; Nov 10 2014 at 09:19 PM.
    (Insert list of camera gear that lets others know how much money you have here.)

Name:  moonrising.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  126.3 KB
    I'm out of my element here, but gave it a try. This is actually composite of 2 images, taken one after the other using inexpensive vivitar tripod I've had for years. Superimposed the first image of moon taken at ISO100, 80 mm, f22, 1/40 sec over a second taken at same iso, focal length and aperture, with exposure time of 30 sec.

I'll keep trying, suggestions/advice appreciated - trying to get a shot of the moon with some trees in a longer exposure. If I go long enough to get the trees, the definition of the moon gets blown out?

thanks for looking,
    Willie

I'm out of my element here, but gave it a try. This is actually composite of 2 images, taken one after the other using inexpensive vivitar tripod I've had for years. Superimposed the first image of moon taken at ISO100, 80 mm, f22, 1/40 sec over a second taken at same iso, focal length and aperture, with exposure time of 30 sec.

I'll keep trying, suggestions/advice appreciated - trying to get a shot of the moon with some trees in a longer exposure. If I go long enough to get the trees, the definition of the moon gets blown out?

thanks for looking,
    Willie
    I see it used more in landscape and real estate photography (to incorporate more details from windows and skies), you could try HDR for your nightshot. Finding the correct exposures to capture the details you want is the difficult part. It's very rewarding though.

I like your idea here. It feels very spooky yet artistic. Looking forward to seeing how you solve your issue. : )

Testing...

Sony A6000 : SEL35F18
    Post process LR5
    *crop only

f/1.8 35mm
    0.6 ISO6400

Lights, camera...hi-fidelity
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

Shot in total darkness...only available light is what is seen here.
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

Wendy's Secret Garden by antblog, on Flickr

I shouldn't have taken this shot during summer... full of mosquitoes in the "garden" at night.
    Unlike many lucky forum members currently enjoying or expecting beautiful snow, Sydney does not have beautiful snow. Apart from sweaty, summer also means blood sucking insects are extremely active here.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    I see it used more in landscape and real estate photography (to incorporate more details from windows and skies), you could try HDR for your nightshot. Finding the correct exposures to capture the details you want is the difficult part. It's very rewarding though.

I like your idea here. It feels very spooky yet artistic. Looking forward to seeing how you solve your issue. : )
    Thanks Pan, I'll give the HDR idea a shot when I get the opportunity again. Also thinking I probably have a better lens choice than what I was using last night.
    BTW, like your images above, particularly the last composition where it looks like you were shooting from a median location - great idea/capture. Great job of holding the monopod steady for that long too!

Willie

Thanks Pan, I'll give the HDR idea a shot when I get the opportunity again. Also thinking I probably have a better lens choice than what I was using last night.
    BTW, like your images above, particularly the last composition where it looks like you were shooting from a median location - great idea/capture. Great job of holding the monopod steady for that long too!

Willie
    Thanks for the compliments : ) You may not get the chance to capture another full moon before the month ends but if you can get some shapely crescent moons or you can try on other well lit sources to get the same concept for your shot. I'm still learning how to tweak the Sony A7's HDR settings to my liking. What lens and body are you using?

Moon - today

Thanks for the compliments : ) You may not get the chance to capture another full moon before the month ends but if you can get some shapely crescent moons or you can try on other well lit sources to get the same concept for your shot. I'm still learning how to tweak the Sony A7's HDR settings to my liking. What lens and body are you using?
    @Wilmeland, I like the mood of your moon shot... somewhat right for the halloween season.

@Panza, Very nice frames above. I particularly like the first one and its deep colors. The last one is also very interesting... inspiration for me to try.

When I woke up this morning, the moon was high in the sky but it was a bit windy. Not ideal conditions for astro-photography. With the forecast calling for nothing good, I figured it was my last chance for awhile to capture a "dry" night shot. I got the tripod and my 500mm/f8 mirror lens out. On the A6000 this means a 750mm FOV; the moon fills about a third of the frame. This lens is very picky for focus but the moon is a good bright target. Nevertheless, I was at it for a good 30 minutes, until the sun came up.

I captured a short AVI and a bunch of stills. I selected the best one and applied some contrast enhancement and cropped. The result follows. I also tried to "stack" several frames but this is a complex/lengthy operation and I haven't gotten the hang of the multitude of parameter settings. What I get out is equivalent to the best frame that goes in, not much more. This is a challenge by itself... for later. Anyway, I'll try to diversify my future subjects during the course of this "assignment".

Name:  a6000-best-single-500mm.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  98.3 KB

Thanks for watching.
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)

Quote Originally Posted by leuius View Post
    I got the tripod and my 500mm/f8 mirror lens out. On the A6000 this means a 750mm FOV
    That crop sensor is really working for you I can tell. : )

Stef, Great shot of the moon - love the detail. Moonrise here is in about 4 minutes, think you've given me inspiration to give it another go. This time, I think I'll try a different lens and different approach.

Willie

Great moon shot Stef. 500 mm ~ 750 mm FOV is a great zoom range. I guess you can increase some details using LR too. Would look even impressive.

a few shots from the back yard

Ok I'll post a few from tonight and then give the moon a rest. Tonight used SEL55-210 on a3000 & exposures were in the range of 1 to 15 sec, using tripod. Tried a few with in camera HDR, but not sure it works well with long exposures.
    Name:  moonrise02648.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  moonrise02649.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  153.8 KB

This next one was framed by neighbors bottlebrush tree on the right and the lighting almost reminded me of icicles on the branches
    Name:  moonbottlebrush02656.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  160.2 KB

Looking across the canal
    Name:  moonscape02669.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  69.9 KB

Last, one with a little canon superzoom. Still don't have a lens for the sony to get me this close.
    Name:  IMG_2020.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  42.3 KB

@wilmeland & @leuius It's amazing to see how different the moon looks from both pictures. Different locations around the world and different times of the night. HDR is much trickier at night. I think you've inspired me to take the heavy tripod out and have a go. I need to learn the Sony's HDR anyhow.

The lens I had used for taking night shots was a 300mm on a D7000 crop sensor (450mm). While the moon wasn't as filling in photos, it was decent quality zoomed. I've sold many of my Nikon bodies and lenses over the past months, so I'm going to have to find creative alternatives now.

An enigma...

@wilmeland & @leuius It's amazing to see how different the moon looks from both pictures. Different locations around the world and different times of the night.
    Actually, as for everything in the sky, the entire field rotates. What looks to be right side up at the beginning of the evening is pretty much reversed at the end. This is why telescopes taking longer exposures require special mounting on a tripod which needs to be aligned with the earth axis to counter-balance the effect.

Astro-photography is quite an art form, something I have only started to dip my foot into. I had a thought earlier today. I have an old 2X tele-converter. Combined with the 500mm and the crop factor, that would yield a 1500mm FOV. Can't wait to try this...

In the meantime, here is something I shot yesterday night. To paraphrase old textbooks, finding what the picture is all about is left as an exercise for the viewer. I'll give you a clue... it's not something you normally look at. So give it a shot and I'll reveal the content if people are interested.

Name:  DSC07780-reduced.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  84.3 KB

Picture was reduced for upload but otherwise untouched.
    Using:
    Sony A6000 + A6500
    (Native E-mount)

@wilmeland
    The third pic is great! Great composition and creativity, things that matter most on the art of photography.

@antony
    Nice shot! Not only the colors and the sharpness are great, but the contrast between nature and city.

I took my portable insect zapper this time.

Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavioRoss View Post
    @wilmeland
    The third pic is great! Great composition and creativity, things that matter most on the art of photography.

@antony
    Nice shot! Not only the colors and the sharpness are great, but the contrast between nature and city.
    @ FlavioRoss
    Thanks!

@ Antony
    I agree on the "secret garden" composition, great color and detail for a night shot and noted on your Flickr page it is quite a long exposure. Curious about the exposure details on your post today? It is also a very sharp night shot - thanks for posting.

Willie

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast