Thread: Adding a "LIKE" button

Adding a "LIKE" button

Jay~
    As the title says...is it possible to add a "LIKE" button?

There are numerous threads that I would like to just notify the poster that I "like" their thread or post.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks!

~William
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    VCL-ECU1 Ultra Wide Lens Converter
    Fotodiox PRO NIK(G) - NEX D-Click Adapter
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    LIM'S LE-HCA6000BK Half Case
    N
    eewer Vertical Battery Grip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dragion/

Novice with a passion for creativity!
    Joint Photographic Experts Group

*hand-held only

Very nice suggestion William. A like button would be more appropriate in many cases as you don't want to comment for each and everything . I don't think it would be an easy task for Jay though .

Hi William and that is a great suggestion! Would rating the thread be an exceptable solution? You should be able to do that now, or do you mean on a per post bases? The like is nice because it's a wink of aknowledgement without having to comment, I get it!

The rating thread option is located on the top right of each thread under the tweet and facebook buttons?

I see it on my end, but I'm not sure if you can see it dragion?

I also want to find a better way to add karma to people or whatever. That is fun. A like button makes sense I'll see what I can find in the meantime

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks Jay for advising me on the "rate this thread"...I wasn't aware about it.

What I was recommending was a singular "like" or maybe a "thanks" button for each and every post.

This will be greatly appreciated!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    SEL1018 : SELP18105G : SELP1650 : SEL55210 : SEL50F18 : SEL35F18 : SEL30M35 : SEL20F28
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

I like the "like" idea, but not sure if the forum software is set up to accommodate that - maybe there is a feature Jay can turn on? I actually like this site design, but kind of had to do a little exploring and testing to see what the different buttons/features were. How is the "star" for add to this users reputation used? I did click for "dragion" to thank him for his idea and contributions I've viewed in the forum. But what exactly does that do when you click that? Is it just related to the user in general, or is it specific to the post that you clicked the star on?

Also, noting there seem to be multiple ways to post an image in a post. Was looking at the FAQ for a while, but not sure the distinctions were made. Seems like you can upload and attach, or attach image via url from a site like flickr. Even doing that though, there are a couple of options I think. Seems like one adds to the users attachments folder, while the other simply inserts the image without adding to the attachments profile. Seems like images inserted from url can be larger than those we upload, which I would guess are constrained to a given size, regardless of what is selected to upload. Not sure if I have this correct, but based on Obelix picture tests came to that conclusion, as those images varied and were much larger than the standard "attach" size. Example below is from flickr view all sizes page - Large 2048 (2048 x 1536), I unchecked the option for retrieve file and access locally, so I'm guessing that this will not get added to my attachments folder.

example:

Hardcore Member
    Only issue with the 'rate this topic/thread'....you have to spread the ratings around. If I 'rate' a topic, and then the poster makes another topic that would also get a 'rate' from me, I can't do it until I 'rate' a bunch of other stuff(some of which might not be worthy of a 'rate', but would fulfill my required 'rates' to get back to the original topic I wanted to 'rate').

Hope that makes sense....I sure don't think I'd like to re-write it......whew!

Scott (rate the liking of the rated liker) B

Working on something Cinjth found Will see if it works in a moment!

Jay
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Progress?

I was just wondering if the algorithm that rates threads, and/or the one that says what's hot (if they aren't the same) could be forked to allow for "+es" or "likes" or a localised correlate. I presume the thread ratings drive "what's hot", and like that feature, but I'm all out of post author reputation additions. I'd like some way to tag an individual post (with no quota, please) as Yes, That!.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB777 View Post
    Only issue with the 'rate this topic/thread'....you have to spread the ratings around. If I 'rate' a topic, and then the poster makes another topic that would also get a 'rate' from me, I can't do it until I 'rate' a bunch of other stuff(some of which might not be worthy of a 'rate', but would fulfill my required 'rates' to get back to the original topic I wanted to 'rate').

Hope that makes sense....I sure don't think I'd like to re-write it......whew!
    LOL Yes, Scott. This is the opposite of the geocaching system, where you get a "favorite point" (FP) to award for every 10 caches you find. I have a huge backlog of FPs that are awaiting a worthy hide. And this forum is rife with worthy posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Working on something Cinjth found Will see if it works in a moment!

Jay
    I would have clicked the "LIKE" button, but there wasn't one!
    Sony Alpha A6000
    ECM-XYST1M
    HVL-F20M
    N

*hand-held only

(Personally I am not that interested in it, but I don't against it. If people want it, it can be done.)

Here's a few things about the backend.
    Currently, this forum uses vBulletin 4. The reason for not using version 5 is Jay says version 5 has lots of issues.
    What I planned was to change the software to phpBB which in my experience is much easier to maintain and to operate.
    However, I had trouble logging into Jay's server (both FTP and SSH).
    Then I was blocked from this site for a while.
    Amateur and unskilled photographer with a very small collection of gears.