Thread: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT or Sirui T2005X TX Tripod

Question Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT or Sirui T2005X TX Tripod

Hey guys... I would like to know your opinion about this...

I need a tripod to carry with my Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW camera bag. I narrowed my options to these 2 Tripods:

The Sirui T2005X TX ($147.95):

I trust more the Sirui because it's a bit more expensive and Dpreview gave it a good review:

Link: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/894...luminum-kits/6

I like that it's folded length is shorter than the Vanguard. I'm not too crazy about the twist knobs, but I'll deal with it if it's the best choice.

The Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT ($126.98):

Apparently this is the best recommendation I can find for this tripod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZw05oeo7cA

I just think this whole package is too good to be truth. I love the convenience of the multi angle central column but at that price I have my doubts. It is also a bit longer when folded than I'd like but if it's sturdy, I'll take it as it is.

Does any of you have any recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Best Solid Tri-pod for Under $150??

Hello Jose and excellent question regarding Tri-Pods,

The Vanguard is over 1lb heavier and supports over 10lbs less in weight than the Siri unit. The center column is a really great feature and the reviews on BHPhoto seem to back that up. Bang for the buck is really high with this pod, no question! The only issue is it's a little heavy and if you do extended walking might be a concern? It;s also a little long as you said 3-legs....

The Siri T2005X TX I actually held in my own hands at the photo Expo and it's a pretty nice unit with a very small form factor when closed up. I was also impressed at the 26lb load capacity meaning it's really solid at max height and so on. Very small and low weight consider the load capacity. That is where the slightly more expnsive price comes in, even though it doesn't have a ratating center column feature.

Lot's of pods to chose from, and might I ask what you need exactly other than to carry with the Lowpro Slingshot 202 AW Bag. For example, do you hike? What kind of gear are you using as far as weight? Do you have a prefer max and or minimum height? Is the center column feature a must? If so, I can't blame you as I want one with that as well!

The Silk Pro 340DX is a great deal at only $55 and it it's very light weight. It';s not the tallest pod, but I'm not exactly sure what you need. It seams like a light weight unit would go best with that style of bag.

The Flashpoint F1228 Version II Carbon 4 Section is pretty awesome and carbon fiber, considering it's only ~$140 US @ Amazon (Click Here)

The Induro Alloy 8M also looks like a nice unit based on the reviews, specs, and price!

I hope that helps a little and I look forward to your reply, because tri-pods is something we really have not talked about much here on the forums

Jay
    Last edited by Jay; Sep 12 2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay - Comments, Questions, and Critiques always welcomed and encouraged!

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thank you for your fantastic help as always Jay!

I currently have 2 setups.

First Setup: where I only carry the a6000 and the SEL1670z with a small Gorilla Pod in a small Sony bag. I might take the new bigger tripod with this setup depending on the occasion.

Second Setup: This is the one that pushed me to get the tripod. I usually do some hiking, long walks at beaches, forests and even ride bike with all the gear on my back. The Lowepro fits the bill.

In terms of weight in the bag, it's kind of light I suppose: a6000, SEL1670Z, SEL50F18, SEL55210, some filters, extension tubes, small point and shoot, extra batteries, snacks etc. I'm not to worried about the weight, but I don't think the bag can hold a 5LB+ tripod, it will probably tear the section off over time.

I was trying to target a 2.5-3.5 LB tripod. I need something sturdy because I used to carry a cheap tripod and the wind never let me get a single slow shutter sharp shot in windy weather . Since I know very little about tripods, I'm under the impression that the more weight the tripod can carry the more sturdy it is. So I was looking for tripods that could carry above 18 pounds.

I really like that Flashpoint tripod from Adorama and it's carbon fiber! I'm sure my wife would appreciate if I got the Silk Pro and so would I because I'm on a tight budget (who isn't anyways?). I'm just worried about wind shake.

Since I'm not within the 48 states I have to pay shipping with adorama and B&H, I was getting the other 2 from Amazon with Prime so no shipping cost was added.

Flashpoint: $160.40
    Silk pro: $71.45
    Induro: $177.75

I really like the Induro and the Flashpoint, they must be shorter because they have 4 leg sections. I'm not into serious macro shooting so I'm not sure If I'll even need the Vanguard, but knowing that central column "could be handy" I was considering it.

Here is my final question

Do I really need a tripod above the silk pro to get slow shutter sharp shots in windy condition? or worst... even with the more expensive of these can I get those shots without buying a ultra heavy tripod? I really wish I had a decent camera store around to test gear but the closest thing I have here is best buy, and it sucks.

Thanks for your precious time Jay.

Well basically for those windy shots you have to have the tri-pod anchored down. It doesn't necessary have to be able to hold over 18lbs to be sturdy. If you have the tri-pod at the max height, it will be the most un-sturdy. If you lower the center column to the bottom, pretty much every tri-pod is solid in that position with an anchor. You can hook your camera bag to the bottom of the center column to hold the tri-pod firmly in place.

As far as getting sharp shot, it really depends on how windy it is and if the camera w/ lens is being effected. If it is, you can try blocking the wind or making the tri-pod more compact and lower to the ground for strength. The stronger tri-pods are generally more study, but usually at the cost of significant weight, unless you go carbon.

I find the gorilla-pod for example, is not good for slow shutter speeds either most of the time, but if you set the timer and block any wind it could be used. I have a older Manfrotto Aluminum tri-pod and it's a pretty heavy base model unit pretty much. It's sturdy enough to hold an DSLR with a fast 70-200mm lens (22lbs I think), so when I mount the A7r or Nex-6 with any lens it is rock solid! No movement even without a weight hanging under. Now if I was at the beech I might have to weight it down due to the intense constant wind. I would also have to have the tri-pod center column down most likely to avoid any camera shake for a long exposure. Plus the sand is not the best foundation. So even with a beefy pod, considerations/ adjustments may still need to made.

I think I would go with the flashpoint if I were in your shoes, but really all of these look like great options honestly. The Silk Pro is not beefy enough for heavy wind and the 16-70mm lens IMO.

I hope that helps,

Jay

Current Everyday Gear: Sony A7r, Sony A6400, Sony Nex-6, Sigma 56mm f/1.4 Lens, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens, Sony E 18-55mm, Sony E 55-210mm OSS Lens, Sony E 16mm f/2.8 Pancake, Rainbow Imagining MC/MD Lens Adapter w/ Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 PG Rokkor Lens

Thanks for the help Jay... The Flashpoint is the winner here. Looking forward to share some sharp slow shutter shots here in the future.

Anytime! Can't wait to see some pics

Jay

I have two Slik tripods, big and heavy duty Pro 700 DX http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/PS-PRO700DX.html and my "travel" tripod Pro 823 CF http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/CS-PRO823CF.html I'm 6'4" and I hate when I have to be hunched over the tripod, and both of these I can use comfortably with center column down. I have short center columns in both of them, only few inches of travel. Depending on the lens camera combination even 700 DX could be affected by the wind.
    If you have good camera store around, go in and check how they look and feel. It doesn’t have to be same tripod, but something with same spec sheet (they are probably made in same Chinese factory)

You can see my 700DX and my "tripod bag" in this thread http://www.sonyalphalab.com/forums/s...?529-Fireworks

Thanks for sharing the info and links Obelix! It was nice to check out those awesome fireworks shots again as well

Jay

You know Obelix, I have to hunch down a lot too... not the best option but for some reason I always get the insane windy day and have to lower the legs for better stabilisation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10378934_10152495060822779_8426037014157114245_n.jpg 
Views:	1196 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	1173

That Pro 700DX could have been a nice option too, seems elegant and sturdy, but the flashpoint is already on the way (I'm too impatient).

Those fireworks shots are amazing!

700 DX is heavy, 3,670 g (8 ponds)
    Thanks!