Some new June and Fathers Day Deals worth checking out, a bunch of links to new products and plus I wanted to discus my plans for the future as it pertains to Pro Photography gear. I also finished Nex-3n Review >>, and Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 lens Review >>
I own the Canon 5d Mark II, but the new Sony Full Frame Mirrorless cameras have me really thinking about what I’m going to do in the 2014?? Is the Canon 6D worth considering if your an aspiring Pro on a budget?? Find out below along with detailed specs and a full overview of the very affordable full frame Canon 6d.
A Few News Items Worth Checking Out:
|Zeiss Touit for NEX – Pre-Order Now, should be in around June 13th @ BHphoto >>
Sony Dominates the Best Selling Compact Camera Systems @ Amazon >>
New Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Lens for $999 @ BHPhoto >>
Killer 4% Reward on select cameras and lenses @ Amazon >>
Sony June Rebates
Check out the Sony June Savings page @ BHPhoto >>
Bower (also branded as Rokinon and Samyang) is offering $70.00 off the 35mm f/1.4 lens @ BHPhoto >> and $40.00 off the 8mm Ultra Wide Angle f/3.5 Fishey lens @ BHPhoto >>
More Links Worth Checking
- Sony SLT-A77 up to $600 off @ BHPhoto >> | Amazon >>
- 60mm Sigma for NEX in Stock at BHphoto >>
- Up to 60% off SanDisk Deals @ Amazon >>
- $100 off on the Sony NEX-F3 kit at BHphoto >>
- Sony SLT Deals page at Amazon >>
- Sony Nex Bundle Deals Page @ Amazon >>
- Current Sony Rebates @ BHPhoto >>
- Newly Released Compact Camera Systems @ Amazon >>
- Sony Nex E-Mount Lens Guide >>
Need a camera Bag??
Check out this article I recently wrote with several user comments and recommendations on camera bags from small holster style to large roller travel bags:
Lightroom 5 Now Available!
The Photoshop Lightroom 5 Software for Mac and Windows (Boxed Full Version) from Adobe is a complete photo management and editing suite for Mac OS X and Windows. Ideal for enthusiasts and professionals alike, Lightroom takes a nondestructive approach to photo editing, leaving the original files uncompromised. All your adjustments and edits are stored in a database and applied to an image on the fly, so that you’ll always be able to go back to the original image. This enables you to execute as many post-processing adjustments on a photo as you’d like, without making permanent changes to the original image.
Looking for Cheap Old School Lenses for your Nex Cameras??
Check out these popular articles on lenses and Ebay Auctions below:
- Killer lenses and lens adapter combos for the Sony Nex Camera System >>
- Minolta 50mm f/2 Lens sample Photos using the Nex-6 >>
- Sony Nex Lens Adapters Guide >>
- Minolta MD Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Minolta MC Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Contax G Lenses on Ebay >>
- Pentax FA Lenses on Ebay >>
- Voigtlander Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Leica Summarit M Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Zeiss ZM Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Canon FD Lens Auctions on Ebay >>
- Nikon Nikkor Lenses on Ebay >>
- Olympus OM Lenses on Ebay >>
Sony E-Mount Lens Quick Link List
|Lens #||OSS||Filter Size||BHPhotoVideo
|SEL1018||Y||62mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SELP1650||Y||40.5mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL1855||Y||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL18200||Y||67mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL18200LE||Y||62mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SELP18200||Y||67mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL55210||Y||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL16f28||N||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|-VCL-ECF1||N||n\a||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|-VCL-ECU1||N||n\a||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL20f28||N||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL24F18Z||N||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL30M35||N||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL35F18||Y||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|SEL50F18||Y||49mm||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|All Lens Filters||BHPhoto||Amazon US, CA, UK||Ebay US, CA, UK|
|Neutral Density Filters by size||40.5mm, 49mm, 62mm, 67mm|
|Polarizing Filters by size||40.5mm, 49mm, 62mm, 67mm|
|OSS = Optical SteadyShot|
|Black = Zoom Lens|
|Blue = Power Zoom
|Red = Prime Lens|
|Green = Lens Converters|
|Magenta = Macro|
Canon 6D Worth Considering??
I say yes until Sony comes out with their new FF Mirrorless Models of course 😉 At ~$1600 on Ebay (Click Here), the Canon 6D full frame camera is a great bang for the buck in my opinion. Remember, I own the Canon 5d Mark II from back in my Pro Photography business days before Layla (CLick Here), so I’m not just speaking out of my a$$. The Canon 5d Mark II is an incredible camera, and I still use it for my occasional Pro work, side job, or favors for friends. It still goes for $2600 with the awesome 24-105 f/4 L kit lens, @ BHPhoto >>, but on Ebay(click Here) you can find some good deals.
Check out the Killer Canon 6d design and build quality
Canon 6D Overview and Features Breakdown
The Canon EOS 6D DSLR camera is the ideal tool for unlocking your creative vision. It features a 20.2 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS sensor, a wide ISO range of 100-25600, expandable to L: 50, H1: 51200, and H2: 102400, for incredible image quality even in low light, and a DIGIC 5+ Image Processor delivers enhanced noise reduction and exceptional processing speed. A new 11-point AF including a high-precision center cross-type AF point with EV -3 sensitivity allows focusing in extreme low-light conditions, and with continuous shooting up to 4.5 fps, you are ready to capture fast action.
Full HD video with manual exposure control, multiple frame rates, and the benefits of a Full-Frame sensor provides stunning performance and creative flexibility. The built-in Wi-Fi® transmitter allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY#, or upload virtually anywhere from your iOS or Android smartphone* with the free download of the EOS Remote app. You can use your smartphone for remote camera control and operation (with the EOS Remote app), or even print your images on a Wi-Fi® compatible printer.
Perfect for travel and nature photography, the built-in GPS## allows location data to be recorded while shooting. Compact, lightweight, brilliant low-light performance, and loaded with easy to use features, the EOS 6D is truly the Full-Frame DSLR camera for everyone.
The Canon 6D is commonly used for Family photos, Landscape/scenery, Low light, Sports/action, Travel, Video, Weddings, Wildlife and more.The Canon 6D is most used by customers who consider themselves to be a Photo enthusiast, Semi-pro photographer among others.The Canon 6D is popular because customers like the following qualities of the Canon 6D: Easy to use, Fast / accurate auto-focus, Fast shutter speed, Good image quality, High ISO performance, Image stabilization, Large clear LCD, Quiet to mention just a few.
- Newly designed 20.2 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, a wide range ISO setting 100-25600 (L: 50, H1: 51200, H2: 102400) for shooting from bright to dim light, and the next generation DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for enhanced noise reduction and exceptional processing speed.
- New 11-point AF including a high-precision center cross-type AF point with EV-3 sensitivity for focusing in extreme low-light conditions and a bright, high-quality viewfinder for easy focusing.
- iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.
- Continuous shooting up to 4.5 fps for capturing fast-action.
- EOS HD Video with manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p(29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p) with 4 GB automatic file partitioning (continuous recording time: 29 minutes, 59seconds), selectable “All i-frame” (UHS-I Card is required) or IPB compressions
- Built-in Wi-Fi® transmitter allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY#, share your images with Wi-Fi® enabled Canon cameras, or upload virtually anywhere on your iOS or Android smartphone – Use your smartphone for remote camera control and operation (Requires EOS Remote app)
- Built-in GPS## Receiver records location information (longitude, latitude, elevation and universal coordinated time (UTC)) as EXIF information for geotagging images when shooting.
- Compact and lightweight body with shutter durability tested up to 100,000 cycles, enhanced dust-and-weather resistance, and EOS Integrated Cleaning Systemfor improved vibration-based dust removal.
- 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor, 160° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Multiple Exposure modes expand creative possibilities, and Scene Intelligent Auto and Special Scene Modes lets you achieve high-quality images with ease
- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High-Speed (UHS-I) cards.
Canon 6D Specs
|Camera Type||Digital AF/AE single-lens reflex camera|
|Recording Media||SD card, SDHC card, SDXC memory card
* Compatible with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards.
|Image Sensor Size||35.8mm x 23.9mm (Full-Frame)|
|Compatible Lenses||Canon EF lenses (except EF-S and EF-M lenses)|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF mount|
|Image Sensor Type||CMOS Sensor|
|Pixels||Effective pixels: Approx. 20.2 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||Total pixels: Approx. 20.6 megapixels|
|Aspect Ratio||3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)|
|Pixel Unit||6.55 um square|
|Aspect Ratio||3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)|
|Color Filter System||RGB primary color filters|
|Low-pass Filter||Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor|
|Dust Deletion feature||Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
|Recording Format||Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and EXIF 2.30|
|Image Type||Still: JPEG, RAW (14-bit, Canon original), RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM)
|RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording||Yes
Large RAW and JPEG images are recorded simultaneously
|Size||Large: Approx. 20.0 megapixels (5,472 x 3,648)
Medium: Approx. 8.9 megapixels (3,648 x 2,432)
Small 1: Approx. 5.0 megapixels (2,736 x 1,824)
Small 2: Approx. 2.5 megapixels (1920 x 1280)
Small 3: Approx. 350,000 pixels (720 x 480)
RAW: Approx. 20.0 megapixels (5,472 x 3,648)
M RAW: Approx. 11.0 megapixels (4,104 x 2,736)
S RAW: Approx. 5.0 megapixels (2,736 x 1,824)
|File Numbering||Consecutive numbering, auto reset, manual reset|
|Color Space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Picture Style||Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3|
|Backup Recording||Not Availabled|
|White Balance Settings||Auto, Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash), Custom (Approx. 2,000° – 10,000°K), Color Temperature (Approx. 2,500° – 10,000°K), White Balance Correction, and White Balance Bracketing|
|Auto White Balance||Auto white balance with the image sensor|
|Color Temperature Compensation||Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode’s color temperature
|Color Temperature Info Transmission||Provided|
|Viewfinder Type||Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentaprism)|
|Viewfinder Coverage||Vertical/Horizontal approx. 97%|
|Viewfinder Magnification / Angle||Approx. 0.71x / 33.3 Degree|
|Viewfinder Eyepoint||Approx. 21mm (from eyepiece lens center)|
|Built-in Dioptric Adjustment||-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)|
|Focusing Screen||Eg-A II provided. Interchangeable with Eg-D and Eg-S. Incompatible with Eg-A.|
|Viewfinder Mirror||Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60)|
|Viewfinder Information||AF information:AF points and focus confirmation
Exposure information: Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
Flash information:Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock
Image information:Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
Composition information: Electronic level
|Depth-of-Field Preview||Enabled with depth-of-field preview button|
|AF Points||11 points all cross-type AF (f/2.8 at center: Dual Cross Sensor)
Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.
Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
|AF Working Range||Center AF Point: EV -3 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
Other AF points: EV +0.5 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
|Focusing Modes||Autofocus: One-Shot AF – AI Servo AF – AI Focus AF
|AF Point Selection||Automatic selection
|Selected AF Point Display||Displayed or indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor.|
IR AF-assist beam only
|Metering Modes||Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
1) Evaluative metering
2) Partial metering (center: approx. 8% of viewfinder)
3) Spot metering (center: approx. 3.5% of viewfinder)
4) Center-weighted average metering
|Metering Range||EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)|
|Exposure Control||Creative Zone
Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb, Custom shooting mode,
Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE / non-shiftable), Creative Auto
Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, Handheld Night Scene, HDR Backlight Control mode
|ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index)||Auto and Manual setting range of ISO 100-25600 (expansion possible to ISO 50, ISO 51200 and 102400) in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)|
|Exposure Compensation||Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
AEB : ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
|Shutter Type||Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled|
|Shutter Speeds||1/4000 to 30 sec., X-sync at 1/180 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)|
|Shutter Release||Soft-touch electromagnetic release|
|Shutter Lag Time||(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: approx. 0.060 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.144 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3.5 stops or less (Excludes AF operation time).
|Self-timer||10-sec. or 2-sec. delay|
|Compatible Speedlites||EX-series Speedlites|
|Flash Metering||E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering)|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments|
|External Speedlite Control||Provided
* Compatible with radio wireless flash photography.
|Drive Modes||(1) Single shooting
(2) Continuous shooting
(3) Silent single shooting
(4) Silent continuous shooting
(5) 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control
(6) 2-sec. self-timer
|Continuous Shooting Speed||Continuous shooting: Max. approx. 4.5 fps
Silent continuous shooting: Max. approx. 3.0 fps
|Maximum Burst||Based on 8GB memory Card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 73 Shots
RAW: Approx. 14 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 7 Shots
Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 1250 Shots
RAW: Approx. 17 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 8 Shots
1. FlexiZone – Single * One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point is possible.
2. Face Detection Live mode
* Face detection, contrast AF. Face is selectable.
2. Face Detection Live mode
* Face detection, contrast AF. Face is selectable.
3. Quick Mode AF
* Phase-difference AF with 11 AF points.
(2) Manual Focus 1. Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
|Metering Modes||Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor.
(1) Evaluative metering (315 zones)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 11% of Live View screen)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 3% of Live View screen)
(4) Center-weighted average metering
|Metering Range||EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)|
|Grid Display||Provided (Two-type grid displays)|
|Silent Shooting||Provided (Mode 1 and 2)|
|Video File Format||MOV (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo)
|Video Frame Rates||1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
|Video ISO Range||Auto ISO range: ISO 100-12800
Manual ISO range: ISO 100-12800 in 1/3- or whole-stop increments (expandable to H: ISO 16000/20000/25600)
* If highlight tone priority is set, automatically set within ISO 200 or higher.
|Video Shooting Time||Based on 8GB Memory card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps:
32 min. with IPB compression
11 min. with All-I compression
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps:
37 min. with IPB compression
12 min. with All-I compression
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps:
97 min. with IPB or All-I compression
|LCD Monitor Type||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor|
|Monitor Size||3.0-inches (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
7.7cm diagonal (6.37cm wide, 4.25cm high)
|Monitor Dots||Approx: 1,040,000 dots|
|Monitor Coverage||Approx. 100%|
|Brightness Adjustment||Manually adjustable to one of 7 levels|
|Interface Languages||25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian,Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)|
|Image Playback Display Format||Single image display
Two types of single-image full display, two types of shooting information
o 4-image index and 9-image index
Jump 1/10/100 images, Shooting Date, Folder, Movies, Stills, or Rating
|Highlight Alert||With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink.|
|Histogram||Brightness and RGB can be displayed.|
|USB Terminal||For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)|
|Audio/Video (Out) Terminal||Audio/Video (Out) Terminal (1) AV stereo OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal (Type C)
|Remote Control Terminal||N3-type terminal|
|Battery||One Battery Pack LP-E6
With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6, AC power is possible.
With Battery Grip BG-E13, two battery packs (LP-E6) can be used. Or six AA-sized/LR6 batteries can be used
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 5.7 x 4.4 x 2.8 in./ 144.5 x 110.5 x 71.2mm|
|Weight||Approx. 26.7 oz. / 755g (CIPA standard)
Approx. 24.0 oz. / 680g (Body only)
Why is the Canon 6D so Affordable??
Canon cheaped out on a few things that make a big difference in performance, but not necessarily image quality. What I’m talking about specifically is the Auto Focus system. Canon put the cheaper much smaller APS-C sized AF sensors module inside, as apposed to the much larger full frame unit. Basically the AF points are concentrated to the center area as apposed to a wider spread across the entire frame like the 5d mark II has. Other than that it’s very similar and I would not mind having it.
What am I Planning on Doing?
I’m personally waiting for the full frame Nex-9 or the next Full Frame A-Mount Sony Camera which will be mirrorless and have 5-axis image stabilization technology thanks to Olympus. That seems like justification to sell my Canon 5d mark II. This way I can afford to buy the camera and a few lenses if I sell all mine. I’m totally confident in SOny after using my Nex-6 now for quite some time. The Disney Vacation proved to me the Nex-6 can handle almost anything I want to do, so a Full Frame A-Mount version with killer Sensor Steady Shot technology would be a suitable replacement for my pro Canon gear. What do you think? My wife Michele does not want to part with the Canon 5d mark II. I can’t blame her as the image quality is incredible, she knows how to use it like a Pro, and we have all the lenses we want. I think change is hard when it comes to the Pro quality gear is all, and I can understand. It’s a bit scary when you know how much money is invested and the quality you can output when needed with what you have. Take that away and it’s an unknown I suppose. I really hope the new Sony gear is off the charts killer!
Thanks for checking in and I’ll catch up with you later,
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Tip Jar: https://www.paypal.me/SonyAlphaLab
Support SonyAlphaLab by becoming a | Patreon
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!