In this article I’m going to go over the New Sony Full Frame Alpha Mount Camera with Pure Speculation and Lustful Wondering!!
The NEX fanbois on this site have had their time in the Sun speculating about the forthcoming developments for their cute little camera system, but I think it’s about time for us big boys of the Alpha-mount persuasion to start up our own speculation and wishlists.
There’s no doubt that the next new (as opposed to a refreshing of the current lineup) Alpha-mount is going to be a full-frame, and it’s going to be announced, or maybe even with us, by mid-2013. But what is it going to look like or contain?
I’ll start the ball rolling and I invite all and sundry to join in or tear it apart…
Full Frame 36MP or 50+MP sensor
– I think it goes without saying that now Sony has given it’s customer, Nikon, a decent period of exclusivity over the 36MP FF sensor in the D800/D800E that they are going to use it in their next FF Alpha-mount body. Or will they skip it altogether and swim into even deeper waters with a 50-or-higher megapixel sensor? We’ve all heard the rumours, do we believe it? 50+MP is a LOT of photosites to contain on a sensor the size of a 35mm negative. It’s even a lot of pixels for a MFDSLR. Is it realistic?
– yep, I honestly think the next big Alpha-mount camera is going to be mirrorless. The NEX kids have been creaming their jeans over a FF NEX on the horizon – I really think that interchangeable lens E-mount FF isn’t realistic from an engineering perspective and the next big mirrorless release is going to be an Alpha-mount and it’s going to shake up the market like Vesuvius. All the clues point toward it – A99’s on-chip PDAF? It’s a sign, my friends.
XQD memory compatibility
– the A99 was supposed to support XQD memory cards, but it just didn’t make the cut. It doesn’t need it anyway – I’ve got 2x Delkin SDHC 633x UHS-I cards (read 95MB/s, write 90MB/s) cards in my A99 and one in my A77, they are more than fast enough to handle the 24MP FF and APS-C sensors’ output. But think about it, a 36MP or 50+MP sensor belting out images at 12+fps (or faster as in the mirrorless NEX speeds) needs a mighty fast card to handle the created data, especially RAW+JPEG output. XQD can do it. Mark my words =]
Built in Vertical Grip for Double-Battery Power
– this was always slated to happen regardless of the above because the camera is going to compete against the Canon 1Dx and the Nikon D4. No brainer.
– the A77 is a fast camera, but it suffers from an overly dense sensor that falters in low-light, and a miserly data buffer that slows it down on full pelt after about 3-seconds. The new FF mirrorless camera I’m positing here is going to be faster and cleaner, the greatest sports camera ever. It will need >12fps burst IMHO.
– I don’t want to know about it, I want to ignore it and cover up the video buttons, but it’s going to happen. This camera will compete with the RED 4K and cannibalise sales from Sony’s professional video arm…or perhaps it will complement sales from that division. Sony is a clever company, they know how to make and market electronic goods. But 4K in HDSLR will happen, and Sony will do it first. That’s also why it will need XQD memory cards.
It’s going to be called the A9
– this makes sense to me…the first Alphas were mirrored and had 3-numeral nomenclature; the second generation were SLT and came with 2-numeral model numbers…with a mirrorless Alpha-mount they just HAVE to go to a single number designator to keep the sequence intact. PLUS (as if I need more proof) the competing cameras from the Canikons are the 1Dx and D4 – see what I’m saying? What am I saying? That’s what I’m saying o_O
It is going to cost between US$6,000 and US$8,000, body only
– yes it is. I think Sony are done being the cut-price cousin to the evil Canikon empire. They don’t need to compete on price for much longer because their name and reputation is starting to win hearts and minds in the very competitive marketplace. People will pay more for the perception of quality, that’s how Apple still sells laptops and desktops filled with outdated hardware, and BMW/Mercedes Benz still sell cars at twice the price of equivalent locally made models that are mechanically identical and often better. Plenty of people buy MacBook Pros over the far superior (and cheaper) Origin EON-17s because of the perception they are getting a superior machine for the extra thousand bucks. That’s why dumbasses spend $150K+ on a BMW M3 rather than save their hard earned money and enjoy the same balls-out experience in an $80K HSV GTS (or one of these for you Yanks). After years of hard work, market growth and brand-recognition Sony cameras are going to start being priced according to desire rather than sales. It’s inevitable. Besides, all their other consumer stuff costs a motza already.
Alright, that’s my speculation out of the way. On to…
- They do away with the video function altogether – not gonna happen but a kid can dream
- They keep the same NP-FM500H battery to remain consistent throughout the Alpha-mount range (notable exceptions excluded of course A33/A55) – I don’t care if the battery is underpowered compared to the Canikon equivalents, it’s a standard that we can carry from one body to the next. Batteries aren’t cheap and they’re not easy to (ethically) dispose of. Keeping the same battery is common sense, plain and simple
- QuickNavi menu – it’s awesome, try it
- They do away with the unnecessary creative modes – they’re unnecessary in a Pro-level camera and add extra unwanted levels to the menu system, pure WOFTAM
- Weather-sealed & dustproof, shockproof up to a 1.8m fall – why 1.8m? that’s how far it is from my eye to the tarmac
- Kai from DigitalREV picks one up to “review” it and soils himself at how awesome it is – and by soils, I mean he actually poos himself while wearing white or linen trousers and Allambie giggles and points. Canon-lovin’ poo-pants numbnut…
- They give me one for free for talking them up for 5+ years now. I mean, seriously, where’s the kudos, Kazuo Hirai? Where’s my free super-camera?! =]
So What do You Think???
Well, that’s about all I can pull out of my butt at the moment. What do you reckon? Am I talking the sense or am I just dreaming?