So what would be your ultimate mirrorless camera?? What if you were to design it yourself?? After taking apart the Sony Nex-7 completely, I saw opportunities for improvement in the design and learned a ton in the process. Since then I’ve been fixated on how the to improve on the camera and make it Pro quality!!
So, I decided to bit the bullet and try to design the camera myself from scratch using a 3D Modeling Program to insure accuracy, and it also have allows for easy changes in design and sharing of the model etc. It can also be highly detailed with several different variations based on your requests!!
The first thing I had to do was downloaded Google Sketch-up which is a Free 3D Modeling program. It’s an amazingly powerful program, and I was able to ruffly start designing a Proto-type Full Frame mirrorless camera.
I didn’t have the time to model it to 100% to scale, but it’s really close, whiten mm’s However, I think the model is still good enough to get a good idea of what I’m trying to portray. I’m sure you all will let me know if the design totally sucks. Which is cool, because I can just modify it based on your recommendations etc..
When it comes to Cameras I’ve used a decent amount of them in a wide variety of styles. I honestly love the SLR style for ease of use, ergonomics, and beefy build quality, but the super lightweight and well designed Nex Camera systems are also incredible. I personally don’t like the ergonomics as much as the SLR though and I see huge room for improvement here and in other areas. It’s a compromise really with size and weight vs ergonomics. I decided to go with a large dslr style grip which will make the camera overall larger. Not quite pocket-size anymore.
Their have been rumors of a Hybrid A-mount to E-Mount camera going around for some time, and I was thinking that is a perfect base-line to start my design. I personally want a Camera that can be a Full Frame Studio camera and a somewhat portable Mirrorless camera for Landscape photography.
How can this be done? Pretty simple really if you think about it. Make a full frame version of the Nex-7 heavily modified, and make an optional LA-EA3(proto-type) adapter of sorts, to it pretty much.
The thing is, I want much better build quality and other goodies also. See below for my full specs wish list!
My Sony NEX-X – Specs Wish List
When it comes to Cameras I’ve used a decent amount of them in a wide variety of styles. I honestly love the SLR style for ease of use, ergonomics, and beefy build quality, but the super lightweight and well designed Nex Camera systems are also incredible. I personally don’t like the ergonomics as much as the SLR though and I see huge room for improvement here!!
- I want a a Full Frame camera with a low enough resolution that High ISO shooting is a strong point of the camera. Whatever the megapixeles turns out to be is fine by me honestly, but 24mp sounds about right
- I would like to see a fully usable ISO 6400 photos, and I think it’s totally possible with today’s technology, never mind what the R&D Engineers are working on (organic sensors)
- I want a large Vertical Grip at least the size of the about 1/4 inch wider than the A57, and an optional Horizontal Battery Grip for vertical shooting with buttons that can hold at least 2 – batteries if not 3!!
- 100% Coverage EVF or OLED viewfinder in the center of the camera
- A ballistics’ grade textured plastic material for a shell or possible metal, and a full metal or equivalent rigid frame/ chassis.
- Beefed up frame for the tri-pod mount in particular and the sensor heat sink housing assembly
- Full Weather Sealing!!
- multiple Memory card slots (SD, and XQD format) With simultaneous writing/saving for bk-up
- The A77 NP-FM500H battery will fit in the grip
- Hot shoe mount
- built-in powerful flash
- lcd articulating screen with 180 degree flip option for storing/ use in “armored mode”
- USB ports for tethering and downloading
- Ethernet Port for high-speed transfers
- Flash Sync Port
- hdmi ports
- audio and video ports
- wi-fi and gps optional
- I’m sure I forgot stuff
Features and Software:
- full frame Sensor
- Rock Solid Build Quality
- Full weather sealing
- great battery life
- optional battery grip
- Adapters for both Full Frame A-Mount Mirrorless and SLT use!!
LA-EA3′s – Prototype’s
Specs - La-EA3-AF
- Needs to be weather sealed
- can be APS-C format, but full frame support would be preferred!!
- Improved Phase Detection AF and Translucent Mirror Built In
Specs – LA-EA3
- Fully weather sealed
- Full AF Support
- beefy optional tr-pod mount
Photos of what I got so far:
This is the New version I’m currently working on. The sensor a Full Frame Sensor (36 x 24mm), and the it’s an E-Mount with a Flange to sensor distance of 18mm which is exactly the same as the Nex cameras.
Continued work on the battery compartment and memory card slots!!
I made a little progress today on the Grip design refinement and the mode dial, as well as an LCD screen for critical info.
Would love to hear what you think??
I obviously have a lot more design work to do, but I want to make sure I get the body ruffly where I want it before going nuts with the buttons and stuff. Once I get the body nailed down, I can also work on the internal chassis and sensor housing area with a much improved heat sink design!! I also need figure out the battery and ports areas etc.. I have an idea of where I’m headed though
I also have the plan to design a killer battery rip for this guy that will match perfectly of course and have all the features and build quality a Pro would expect!!
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.
Direct Shopping Links – Thanks for your Support!!