Just the other day pics and some specs were leaked about the new Sony RX100 compact camera. Well, Sony has now officially announced it and I have all sorts of info on this New Compact Camera Killer!! First of, it’s going to set you back ~$648 US, and Pre-Orders are already being taken at BHPhoto>>!!
After reading up a bunch on the Sony Cybershot RX100, I’ve come to the conclusion that it really does have the potential to destroy the competition for it’s target audience. Who specifically might want this camera you might wonder?? My Mom or Dad are perfect examples of people who would love this type of camera and probably buy it based on the Specs, Looks, Size, Quality, and Price point. They are not interested in the How” so much, they just want good pictures s with as little effort as possible. They also want good video quality that they can share easily on the television for family and friends etc.. The Pro Photog also might be attracted this camera for it’s incredible powerful feature set, and pocket size convince. The Sony RX100 is a possible alternative to the Nex Camera system if the fixed lens is in your range of photographic needs.
The huge super high res 3″ screen on the back is another selling point as you now how most people just show you their pics on the actual camera nowadays. This screen also has the new white magic technology makes the screen easier to view in daylight. This is a great feature as all screen suffer from the daylight glare issue.
Basically what we have here is literally a pocket sized camera with a killer lens and the power of the New Nex-F3 pretty much, minus the interchangeable lens part of course Just look at the feature set below and you will be blow away.
- 20.2MP 1″ Exmor CMOS Low-Light Sensor
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T Lens
- Xtra Fine 3″ LCD Display with WhiteMagic
- Optical 3.6x Zoom & Digital 7.2x Zoom
- Optical & Electronic Image Stabilization
- Full HD 1080/60p Video Capture
- Ultra-Fast 0.13 Sec High-Speed AF
- Face Detection & 10 fps Burst Mode
- Record Stills Using JPEG, RAW, or Both
- Aluminum Body with Built-In Pop Up Flash
Sony RX100 Photos
Sony RX100 Full Overview and Specs
Full Sony RX100 Overview and Feature Set
Courtesy of BHPhotovideo.com
Housed in a sophisticated aluminum body, the Sony DSC-RX100 Digital Camera (Black) features a 20.2 megapixel Exmor CMOS image sensor that excels in ultra low-light situations. It’s equipped with a brilliant F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T Lens and an integrated pop up flash. You can record ultra high-definition still images in JPEG format, RAW format, or even both simultaneously. The camera also affords Full HD 1080p video capture at 60 frames per second (fps). Plus, it supports a full range of controls for video and still shooting that range from iAUTO to P/A/S/M (Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual).
The RX100 is loaded with shot-enhancing features and high-quality components. The Exmor CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ image processor work together to facilitate fast DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low-light – and without sacrificing any detail. The lens supports 3.6x optical zoom and 7.2x clear image digital zoom. It also features a multi-layered T coating that dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection. For added convenience, the RX100 is equipped with a 3″ Xtra Fine LCD display so you’ll be able to quickly scroll through menus and pictures. The display even features WhiteMagic technology for increased visibility under intense sunlight.
Other features include a customizable function button that supports up to seven different functions and a memory recall (MR) that can memorize up to three groups of preferred settings. The camera also features Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode, which eliminates blurry images when you’re walking with the camera. Sony’s even bolstered the image stabilization with an electronic image stabilization that affords blur-free movie shooting and steady zooming in unsteady situations. You can use the Auto Portrait Framing function to capture an additional, beautifully framed and balanced full resolution portrait, when you’re out shooting stills. The camera also supports four focus modes, auto HDR, multi-aspect ratio recording, a digital level gauge, multi-frame noise reduction and much more.
Sony designed the DSC-RX100 for capable photographers looking for a high-end compact camera to take on the go. Anyone who spends a lot of time shooting family and friends will also appreciate the camera’s Face Detection and Face Registration technology. The RX100 can detect and register up to eight faces. Plus, it will automatically adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to ensure you get a clear and crisp shot of those closest to you. You can even tell the camera to prioritize children or adults. With a laundry-list of features and excellent components, the RX100 offers amazing quality and creative freedom in a stylish, compact package.
- 20.2 Megapixel Exmor 1″ CMOS Image Sensor
- The massive 20.2MP Exmor 1″ CMOS sensor captures ultra-high definition images that take full advantage of the camera’s sharp Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens. The sensor enables advanced column A/D processing that reduces noise levels, resulting in astonishing low light images with incredible smooth and clear details
- Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T Lens with 3.6x Optical Zoom
- This large-diameter F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens delivers refined background defocusing. It also features a premium multi-layered T coating that dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection
- P/A/S/M Modes for Video & Stills
- Enjoy a full range of controls for video and still shooting from iAUTO mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. There are even on-screen prompts which help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control
- Capture JPEG Files, RAW Files, or Both
- The RX100 saves pictures as compact JPEG files and/or ultra-high quality RAW files. RAW files save images prior to de-mosaicing, white balance, sharpness and color enhancement. This retains maximum latitude for enhancing the image on your PC
- Full HD 1080/60p Video Capture
- Record crystal clear movies in Full HD 1080p at 60 fps. This provides stunning, fast motion video with less distortion for playback on your HDTV. Plus, with dual recording for stills and movies, you can shoot both at the same time
- Low-Light ISO 6400 Sensitivity
- Capture incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, thanks to the low-noise Exmor CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ image processor
- High-Speed Auto Focus
- To improve focusing speed and sensitivity, the Exmor CMOS sensor uses its rapid throughput to deliver high-quality image signals to the camera’s BIONZ processor, which provides intelligent response data to a high-speed actuator motor in the lens. The result is fast, DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low light
- Up to 10 fps Burst Mode
- Capture full 20.2 megapixel resolution images at up to 10 fps, helping to ensure that the decisive moment is captured such as the soccer ball flying into the goal. In addition, a mechanical shutter helps reduce distortion when continuously shooting moving subjects
- Large 3″ Xtra Fine LCD Display
- The 3″ (1229k dots) Xtra Fine LCD Display makes it easy to scroll through menus and preview pictures. Plus, the large display delivers brilliant-quality still images and movies while enabling easy focusing operation. It also features WhiteMagic technology, which increases visibility in bright daylight
- Customizable Function Button
- Assign up to seven different functions to the function button, to allow quick access to your most frequently used functions
- Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode
- Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode enables blur-free movies even while walking. Plus, the camera-shake compensation using Optical SteadyShot/Active Mode has been improved with the addition of electronic image stabilization, which makes it easier to obtain sharp, blur-free movies even when zooming in unsteady situations, such as shooting with one hand while walking
- Memory Recall
- MR (memory recall) mode can memorize up to three groups of the user’s preferred settings. The settings include zoom magnification, white balance, exposure compensation, date and grid lines. This enables quick switching of settings at the right moment
- Sophisticated Design with Pop Up Flash
- The sophisticated aluminum body is lightweight, slim and strong. There’s even an integrated pop up flash, which affords the convenience of flash photography everywhere you go
- Auto Portrait Framing
- Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. This mode combines Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds to provide beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits
- Auto HDR Mode
- Using auto HDR mode allows you to capture more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle – and more range than photo film. It combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second shot and the best shadow detail from a third shot for one incredible image (up to 6 EV stops). Plus, it works in a split second (recommended for still subjects)
- Face Detection / Face Registration
- The camera can automatically detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of family and friends. You can even prioritize children or adults
- Multi-Aspect Ratio Recording for Still Images
- Capture still images in any of four aspect ratios – 1:1, 2:3, 4:3, or 16:9 (vertical to horizontal). This provided the freedom to choose a ratio that matches the scene or the specific shooting purpose
- 3.6x Optical Zoom & 7.2 Digital Zoom
- Most digital zooms use electronic cropping to get closer to the subject, resulting in unsharp images. With Clear Image Zoom the powerful processor compares patterns found in adjacent pixels and creates new pixels to match selected patterns, resulting in more realistic, higher-quality images. Clear Image Zoom digitally doubles optical zoom for closer photos
- Four Focusing Modes
- This camera has two Autofocus modes: Single-shot AF (AF-S) or Continuous AF (AF-C), which tracks moving objects. It also has Manual Focus for manual focusing freedom, and Direct Manual Focus (DMF), that first uses autofocusing to focus on the subject, and then allows fast and easy switching to manual focusing for even more precise adjustment
- MF Assist & Peaking
- Manual focus becomes much easier because peaking highlights the edges that are in focus in your choice of three colors (white, red, or yellow). This is especially helpful during macro or portrait photography where your focus setting can make or break your shot
- Multi-Frame Noise Reduction
- In this mode, the camera automatically shoots multiple images and layers them to produce a single noise-free image. This method provides noise reduction equivalent to a 2-stop lower shutter speed while maintaining the same aperture setting. Since the Multi Frame NR mode can be used in combination with P/A/S/M modes, it expands the user’s shooting flexibility
- Photo Creativity
- The Photo Creativity interface enables you to easily enjoy the creative expression of SLR-quality digital imaging without complex jargon. Changes can be combined, removed and viewed in real time on the LCD display, which makes it a breeze to make adjustments. Choose from several different Photo Creativity functions using the convenient control wheel and center button including: Picture Effect, Background Defocus, Color, Brightness and Vividness
- Picture Effect Mode
- Picture Effect is a fun and simple way to convert ordinary landscapes and portraits by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. Effects include: Soft Focus, Posterization, Retro Photo, High Contrast Monochrome, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Soft High-key, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Watercolor Painting, HDR Painting and Illustration
- Creative Style Settings
- Control how the camera processes your images with six finishing styles: Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sunset, Portrait and Landscape. You can even fine-tune contrast, saturation and sharpness to your personal taste
- Sweep Panorama Mode
- Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter and sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest by continuously shooting images and stitching them together
- Superior Auto Mode
- In order to get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots, the camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode, then quickly shoots and combines up to six shots to produce images with greater clarity, optimum dynamic range using Backlight Correction HDR technology, and lower image noise using six shot layering technology. Superior Auto can intelligently detect 33 scenes for still images and movies, making it easy to get the best shot
- Intelligent Scene Recognition Mode
- Intelligent Scene Recognition (iSCN) automatically detects 33 different types of scenes for photos and 44 scenes for movies, and then selects the appropriate camera settings. In Auto Mode, the camera takes a single shot using the optimal settings. In Advanced Mode, the camera takes a photo with the optimal settings and, if in difficult lighting (low light or back light) immediately takes a second photo with another optimized setting so you can choose which to keep
- Digital Level Gauge
- The digital level gauge allows for easier leveling of the camera
Sony RX100 Specs
|Camera Type||Compact Digital Camera|
|Image Sensor||Exmor 1.0″ CMOS|
|File Formats||JPEG, RAW, JPEG+RAW|
|Aspect Ratios||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Lens Type||Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*|
|Focal Length||10.4 – 37.1mm (Approx. 35mm equiv. 28 – 100mm)|
|Aperture Range||f/ 1.8 – 4.9|
|Clear Image Zoom||7.2x|
|Dynamic Range Functions||Dynamic Range Optimizer, Auto HDR Mode|
|Continuous Shooting Spped||Up to 10 fps|
|Focus Modes||Single-shot AF, Continuous AF, Direct Manual Focus, Manual Focus|
|Exposure Modes||Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 3 EV in 1/3 steps|
|Metering Modes||Center, Flexible Spot, Multi|
|Scene Selection||Sunset, Landscape, Macro, Gourmet, Pet, Sports Action, Anti-Motion Blur, Portrait, High Sensitivity, Fireworks, Night Portrait, Handheld Twilight, Night Scene|
|Picture Effect||Toy Camera, Pop, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color (R / G / B / Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor Painting, Illustration|
|Photo Creativity Functions||Picture Effect, Background Defocus, Color, Brightness, Vividness|
|Creative Style||Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Black & White|
|White Balance||Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluor. Warm White, Fluor. Cool White, Fluor. Day White, Fluor. Daylight, Flash, Color Temperature Filter, Custom|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, up to ISO 6400|
|Image Stabilization||Optical SteadyShot with Active mode|
|Video Recording Format||AVCHD, MP4|
|Video Compression||MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)|
|Video Image Size||AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60i, 60p), MP4: 1440 x 1080, VGA|
|LCD Monitor Type||3.0″ / 7.6cm 1.229K-dot Xtra Fine LCD|
|Flash Type||Built-in popup flash|
|Flash Exposure Compensation||+/- 2 EV in 1/3 steps|
|Memory Card Types||Dual format: Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SD, SDHC|
|Dimensions||Not specified by manufacturer|
|Weight||Not specified by manufacturer|
HD Video Hands on Review !!
The SGNL team got to get their hands on the just announced Sony Cyber-shot® RX100 camera.
The video is available in HD, so be sure to select the 720P option, once the movie starts, for the best viewing experience possible!!
Two More Solid Reviews!!
Yesterday I was honestly a little disappointed that Sony was spending time and effort on the point and shoot market, but after thinking about it more and more I think this will be a great thing for Sony!! I know a lot of you that read my articles are not necessary interested in a compact camera, but you need to remember the attention being brought to Sony is very good for business. Basically, the more attention the Sony camera market gets, the more money Sony will invest in R&D, Lens Production, and hopefully some Pro Quality Full Frame Gear!!
That is it for now, have a great day!!
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.