I just got off the phone with my friends at BHPhotovideo.com and we have a bunch of new gear on the way to the Lab!! With the Polls from the other day in mind we have some budget friendly prime lenses coming and the simple amazing LA-EA2 E-Mount adapter which I will test out on the Sony Nex-5n.
I’ve been wanting to test the Sony LA-EA2 adapter since day one, and it’s finally that time!! I’m getting the Sony A-Mount 35mm f/1.8 lens to use with it, so stay tuned for that and check out the specs on these units below.
In addition to that gear we also have the New Simga 19mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens, Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN lens, and the Sony E-Mount 50mm f.1/8 Lens!! The Sony 50mm E-Mount is another lens I’ve been wanted to try out forever, but like a lot of the Sony Nex high demand items, it never seems to be in stock when I want it.
It’s a pretty solid line-up of primes for the Nex-5n to test, and a Sony 35mm f/1.8 A-Mount Lens to test on the LA-EA2 adapter. It’s time to find out how that adapter really works!!
Check out the Gear:
I reviewed the Sony Nex-5N already, and I own the Nex-7, but it’s totally disassembled in the Lab! So, I needed a Nex camera body for testing purposes and opted for the Nex-5N again as I love the 16mp sensor!! I would went for the New Nex-F3, but it’s not out yet unfortunatly.
Price: ~$598 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
Sony A-Mount Lens to NEX Camera Mount Adapter – LA-EA2
The La-Ea2 lens adapter is an amazing piece of camera hardware that pretty much turns your Nex camera into a Phase Detection Autofocus Monster that will except all A-Mount Lenses. That is correct, you can use all A-Mount lenses on your Nex Camera with this adapter, and have killer fast Autofocus!! So needless to say I’m excited about getting it!!
Price: ~$319.95 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
Sony 50mm F1.8mm lens – SEL50F18
The Sony 50mm f/1.8 is probably the most anticipated and wanted E-mount lens currently. I’ve been trying to get one for months now and I’m sure many of you are in the same boat. Basically what this lens offers is a fast aperture and excellent focal length for Portraits in particular. The F/1.8 aperture will allow for some killer separation from the backgrounds and also allow for extreme low light shooting. With the combination of the f/1.8 aperture and Optical Steadyshot built in, this could be one of the best low light lens on the market in my opinion. For the Money of course, mind you
- Large f/1.8 Aperture
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
- Compact and lightweight
- Image Stabilization
- Smooth and quiet high-speed focusing
- Weight (Approx.) : 7.25oz (202g)
Price: ~$299.99 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
The Sigma E-Mount 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens is a prime lens designed specifically for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. This 30mm lens is equivalent to a 45mm lens in 35mm format and provides a 50.7° angle of view. A very nice fixed focal length to work with on a crop factor sensor like the Sony Nex-5n I might add.
- 30mm f/2.8 Lens
- Equivalent to 45mm in 35mm
- For Sony E Mount Camera
- Aspherical Design Prevents Distortion
- Focuses to 11.81″ (30cm)
- Multi-Coating Reduces Ghosting and Flare
- Linear AF Motor for Quiet Operation
Price: ~$199 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens for Sony E Mount Camera
The 19mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens for Sony E Mount Camera from Sigma is a Digital Neo (DN) lens specifically designed for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. On a Sony E mount camera (NEX), its focal length is equivalent to 28.5mm. It has a newly developed linear AF motor for swift and accurate autofocus, making it ideal for video as well as still photography. Three glass mold aspherical lenses offer excellent correction for distortion, color aberration and field curvature. The inner focusing system corrects the fluctuation of aberration to maintain image quality regardless of the focal distance. Multi-layer coating reduces flare and ghosting, and provides sharp and contrasty images even at the maximum aperture. The seven blades of the diaphragm produce a pleasing quality in the out-of-focus areas of an image (bokeh).
- Digital Neo (DN) high performance lens designed exclusively for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras
- Ultra compact construction weighing only 4.9 oz and measuring 1.8 inches in length
- Newly developed linear AF motor ensures accurate and quiet autofocusing, making the lens ideal for video recording as well as still photos
Price: ~$199 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 SAM Lens
The Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 SAM Lens is designed for D-SLR cameras with DX-format sensors, so the lens has a 52.5mm equivalent focal length. This is perfect for snapshots and portraits under a wide range of shooting conditions. The ultra fast f/1.8 wide-open aperture along with the 7-blade circular diaphragm allows you to work in low light, and with a minimum focus distance of 9.05″ (0.23m) the lens allows you to get in close to your subject.
- Design optimized for DX-format Sensors
- DX-format has 52.5mm Equivalent
- Large f/1.8 Maximum Aperture
- Easy Choice Series Lens
- Compact & Lightweight Only 6 oz (170g)
- Minimum Focus 9.05″ (0.23m)
- Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM)
- Focus Mode switch
- 7-Blade Circular Diaphragm
Price: ~$319.95 @ BHPhoto (Click Here)
I have a bunch of great equipment coming and I honestly cannot wait to try all of it!! I’m Currently sending back the Sony Alpha 57, Sony 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Lens, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens, and you can check out all articles with sample images and my Full Hands on Review of the A57 below.
I also am trying to plan out future reviews as well. For example, next month I’m going to get a couple of Flash units as a SAL reader made the fallowing request:
I was wondering if you could do something on flashes. It seems really hard to find info on sony flashes. Maybe a good $100-$150 third party TTL flash, or even some manual ones.
So, I’m going to go ahead and look into a few flash units as part of next months reviews. I’m also going to continue working on getting budget friendly prime and zoom lenses so you all can see what what this stuff actually does in the real world, from my perspective It’s looking like the A37 and Nex-F3, a few flash units, and a few lenses for next month, but that is always subject to change.
Please, Let me know what you think!!
Sony A57 Must See Articles
- Sony A57 – How-To – Menus system explained in detail!!
- Sony A57 is in the Lab and I have some High Res Photos and HD Video of the Camera and 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Lens!!
- Sony A57 – Sample Photos w/ 100% Crops using the 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Lens!! A57 Firmware Update!!
- Sony A57 and the AutoHDR Feature Tested – Sample Photos and 100% Crops!!
- Sony A57, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens – Sesame Place and Crayola Factory Family Vacation!!
- Sony A57 and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens – Real World Sample pics with 100% Crops and First Impressions
- Sony A57 and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens and the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens!!
- New Lenses on the way for the Sony A57 and Real World Sample HD Video!!
- Sony A57 12fps Feature Tested using New Firmware!! Sample Pics w/ 100% Crops!!
- Sony A57 – Hands on Review!!
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.