Hey everybody and welcome to the lab on a Wednesday evening as I type this Good news as the the New Sony Alpha 57 and the 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Lens are on the UPS truck with all intentions of stopping at the lab this evening!! I’m really looking forward to getting back to a Sony DSLR after reviewing the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 (Click Here), and the Sony 70-400mm lens using the Nex-5n and La-EA1 Adapter before that (Click Here).
The A57 also just came out with a firmware update and you can download it (Click Here) if you have the camera already. Also, if you have the camera already, please feel free to share your experiences below in the comments if you like. Other readers and myself always enjoy getting the most accurate and best information possible, so if we all share when applicable the better for the whole community 😉
- Improved performance of AF in Continuous Advance Priority AE Mode (both Tele-zoom 12fps and10fps) under some specific conditions.
Must See Killer Deals
I came across a few killer deals on memory cards that I thought was worth sharing!!
B&H SanDisk Extreme & Extreme Pro Deals W/ Free Shipping!!
Valid Today April 25th Only!!
32GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10
The 32GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 from SanDisk is a high-performance memory card. It improves upon the previous version’s 30 MB/s max read / write speed by offering faster 45 MB/s performance. Minimum write speed is still 10 MB/s. These data rates get you ready for the next shot faster, and cut down on wait time when you’re transferring your work from card to PC. The large 32 GB memory provides ample storage space. Designed with the HD Video shooter in mind, this card won’t give you lag time in between video clips, even at the highest resolution.
- High Capacity
- 32 GB data storage capacity provides ample space for still image and HD video files
- Fast Read / Write Performance
- Improves upon the previous version’s 30 MB/s max. read / write speed by offering faster 45 MB/s performance. Minimum write speed is still 10 MB/s. These data rates get you ready for the next shot faster, and cut down on wait time when you’re transferring your work from card to PC–which you’ll definitely appreciate when working with large RAW and HD video files
- Write-Protect Switch
- A simple flip of the switch on the side of the memory card protects your photos and videos from accidentally being erased from your memory card
Sale Price $38.95 (Click Here)
32GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Card
SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Cards provide 90MB/s read/write performance for the creation of professional photographic and motion picture content. Ultra Direct Memory Access 6 (UDMA-6), Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing (ESP), and proprietary Power Core Controller Technology ensure class-leading 600x performance with the highest levels of quality and compatibility available. When paired with an UDMA compliant DSLR, SanDisk Extreme Pro Cards guarantee the fastest, most reliable recording of photo and video files.
- Power Core Controller
- The all-new Power Core Controller is SanDisk’s fourth generation design using advanced firmware algorithms to enhance read/write speed and endurance. ECC Engine Technology has improved four-fold over the previous generation – enhancing stability and performance.
- Highly Durable
- SanDisk Extreme Pro cards feature RTV silicone coating for added protection against moisture and humidity. Tested to perform in extreme cold to hot environments (-13° to 185°F / -25°C to 85°C), Extreme cards are subject to rigorous stress, shock, and vibration testing.
- Large Capacities
- Available in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash cards offer ample space for RAW + JPEG files, high-definition video, and other rich media content.
Sale Price $138.95 (Click Here)
Original $ 238.95
32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA
The SanDisk 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA provides fast, reliable photo and video capture. With a speed rating of 400x, this card boasts a read / write speed of up to 60MB/s. Ultra Direct Memory Access 5 (UDMA-5) and proprietary Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing (ESP) and Power Core Controller Technology ensure class-leading performance. When paired with a UDMA-compliant DSLR camera, this card guarantees speedy, high-quality photo and video capture. Enjoy the security of a lifetime warranty.
- Power Core Controller
- All-new Power Core Controller distributes data across card rapidly and efficiently; firmware algorithms use wear leveling to enhance endurance
- ECC Engine Technology improves reliability
- Highly Durable
- RTV silicone coating for added protection against moisture and humidity
- Tested to perform in extreme cold to hot environments and while exposed to rigorous stress, shock, and vibration
- Accepts RAW and JPEG files
- Works in all UDMA modes
Sale Price $84.95 (Click Here)
The Monster Sony SAL500F40G 500mm f/4.0 Super Telephoto Lens is in Stock at BHPhoto (Click Here), and can be yours for a mild $12,999.99
The Sony SAL500F40G 500mm Lens is a very long telephoto lens with a very fast f/4.0 aperture that puts you right into the action for sports or nature photography. It features three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and Nano AR lens coatings that fight flare, maintain excellent contrast and reduce internal reflections. When you’re shooting sports or nature subjects, you’re always fighting the elements and this lens does its part–it has interlocking weather-resistant seals in and around the focusing ring and other vulnerable points to protect against moisture, dust and grit.
The 500mm f/4.0 is compatible with the Sony SteadyShot in-camera image stabilization system and it has a Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM) with a drive circuit four times as fast as previous versions. The autofocus is fast and quiet. When used with a compatible APS-C format DSLR, the equivalent focal length of this lens is a whopping 750mm.
- SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor): A built-in lens motor for faster automatic focusing with high torque at low speed, quick start/stop response and quiet, smooth operation
- High Performance AF: Newly developed circuit board in the internal focusing mechanism achieves approx. 4x faster object tracking performance during auto-focusing than lenses using conventional circuit boards. This speed makes the lens perfect for capturing fast moving subjects
- Nano AR Coating: Sony’s Nano AR Coating with nano-precision structure contributes to high-quality images with reduced ghosting and flare. This technology features aligned microscopic asperities that reduce the effects of the reflective interfacial boundary on the surface of the lens
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: Three precision ED Glass lenses correct chromatic aberrations to provide extremely sharp telephoto images distant subjects as well as dramatic sports close-ups
- Internal Focusing System: Internal lens elements move, so the overall length does not change — creating an auto-focus zoom lens that doesn’t affect the balance of your camera
- 2 DMF (Direct Manual Focus) Modes: Allow you to quickly revert to manual focus by just turning the manual focus ring of the lens
- Versatile Focus Hold: Four focus hold buttons in different lens locations, plus electronic slider focus range selector switch
- Dust and moisture resistance: The dust and moisture resistance design makes this lens appropriate for heavy-duty outdoor use, especially when combined with a DSLR that employs weather resistant measures
- Lightweight Design: A strong, light magnesium lens barrel makes shooting more comfortable even on long wildlife or sports assignments
|Lens Type||Super Telephoto|
|Filter Diameter||42mm (internal)|
|Lens Groups-Elements||10 groups, 11 elements|
|Minimum Focus Distance||13′ 2″ (4.0m)|
|Non-rotating Focusing Ring||Yes|
|Tele-converter Compatibility: 1.4x||Yes|
|Tele-converter Compatibility: 2.0x||Yes|
|Aperture Blade||9 blades|
|Focal Length (35mm equivalent)||APS: 750mm (35mm Equivalent: 500mm)|
|Dimensions (Approx.)||5-1/2 x 14-7/16″ (140 x 367.5mm)|
|Weight (Approx.)||7 lbs 10 oz (3460g)|
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.