n this sample HD Video using the Sony Nex-7, I took several clips using a variety of lenses and made a little montage similar to the other sample footage i posted a week or so ago. For this sample footage I used the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC III Lens, the Rokinon 8mm Fisheye Lens, the Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro lens, and the the Sony 24mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar Lens!!
All the lenses work well, but the stand-out of the crowd for video was definitely the 24mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss lens. It’s incredible sharp, quite, and the fast f/1.8 aperture allows for some solid separation from the background of your subjects if your relatively close. The f/1.8 Aperture is also great for keeping the shutter speeds up and ISO down in the lower light situations that we all love to shoot in. The lens is a bit expensive in my opinion at $999, but it’s the best E-Mount optics I’ve used to date so…. You get what you pay and if you can afford it I highly recommend it. It’s also the fasted lens currently available for the E-Mount as the Sony 50mm f/1.8 lens is still only available for pre-order, but it should arrive shortly. That lens is the one I want to try the most by far!! 50mm is much more my style of shooting when it comes to Urban Street and people. Not only that, but the 50mm f/1.8 is only $299!!
My second choice for the stand-out lens to use for the video was the 30mm Macro. It’s razor sharp, although much softer in the corners than the Carl Zeiss lens. It was just a lot of fun to use, because you can get so incredible close to stuff and the focus works awesome. It makes for some killer Macro videography. Plus at 30mm it’s a relatively mid-wide lens that you can use for portrait fun, Landscapes, and architecture. You just can’t beat the sharpness of the Prime’s 😉
Nex-7 HD Video Sample Footage:
Be sure to select the little gear on the bottom of the player window so you can enable the 720p HD video quality!!
More Footage, Sample Photos, and Related Articles!!
- Sony E-Mount 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens Vs Tamron E-Mount 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DI VC III Lens – Tested Using the Sony Nex-7 >>
- Sony Nex-7 and Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Lens – Sample Photos – More pics added!!
- Sony Nex-7 – Sample HD Video using theTamron 18-200mm and Rokina 8mm Fisheye >>
- Sony Nex-7 Armed with the Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro Lens – Sample Photos w/ 100% Crops >>
- Nex-7 and the 24mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar Lens – Sample Photos with 100% Crops, Exif, Specs, and First Impressions >>
- How-To: Setting up and Using Lens adapters on the Sony Nex-7 >>
- Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter with Built-in Aperture Iris – Does the Aperture do anything?? Tested on Sony Nex-7 with Canon EF 135mm f/2 L Lens >>
- How-To: Sony Nex-7 and HDR Photography Explained in Detail!!
Here’s what the Nex-7 looks like with the lenses used in the video above:
Your support is greatly appreciated as we run this site in our spare time and are not paid. We can however, make a small commission if you click a product link that your interested in. That click will then give us credit if you choose to purchase any given item. This has no effect on the cost of the product, and is a simple way to give back to SonyAlphaLab.com for the effort and info we provide.